Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Critical Hit-Slaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegy

I really like Slaking. After winning my box of RS cards at Columbus's RS Challenge I managed to pull a Slaking out of a pack. I was like, "Hey, not bad." I didn't touch my cards then. I even gave 16 packs to two of my friends ;x But when I actually saw my friends playing I decided, "Hey, I'll play again." :D

This is a REALLY rough version of Slaking. I made in on Apprentice and haven't tested it out yet.

Pokemon-19
4 Slakoth (RS Slack off)
4 Vigoroth (Rage)
4 Slaking
3 Wynaut
2 Wobbuffet
2 Mewtwo ex

Trainers-22
4 Copycat
4 Oran Berry
3 Switch
3 Memory Berry
3 Master Ball
2 Prof. Oak's Research
1 Warp Point
1 Oracle
1 Town Volunteers

Energy-19
14 Psychic
3 Boost
2 Warp

The basic idea is to get as many Slaking going as possible with a Mewtwo ex for back-up/support. I maxed out on Oran Berry because I didn't have any room for Potion and not being able to attack every turn hurts, so healing is important. I ran Psychic as my energy type because Mewtwo ex is a BEAST and I know Gardevoir is really popular. Memory Berry is just awesome with Slaking; how can you not run it? It's possible to Rage for up to 130 damage, which knocks out RS Gardevoir, other Slakings, and anything with 120hp or less. It's also awesome to Slack Off and remove everything. It's not like I'd be attacking next turn anyway. =P

Keep in mind this is a REALLY rough version, so any ideas/suggestions are always welcome. :thumb:

Use the free retreat marril and add more warp energy. That way you can use slaking's attack every turn by switching.

The free retreat Marill is good.

I'd use the Energy Return Espeon from Aqua. Its a free retreat too and comboed with Warp Energy it allows Slaking to attack every turn!. No need to swarm with the Slakings just the one deals 100 damage each turn.

[my son has just reminded me that you have to discard an energy to use Slakings big attack... so its not quite the killer deck it might be hey ho]

Last edited:
Not only is it an energy discarded, but it's a basic energy. Mewtwo ex can absorb the energies back, so that was a prime reason for having him in the deck.

But yeah, more switching would be helpful. I don't want to add AQ Espeon. If I added any-other evolution line it'd be Furret or possibly RH Delcatty w/ Oracle.

Marril with more Warp Energy/Switch would be pretty cool. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the replies. :thumb:

I too am considering a Slaking deck. Critical Move screams [GB] Hyperbeam, which i always found effective. Marril and more changing cards should help. What you could really use is a cunter to Fighting (a lone Low Kick mahukita needs two hits to KO you)...

Stop using Marill to fix decks! LOL

Picks up his toys and decides to have a tantrum!

;)

energy switch is good too...

I suggested Espeon rather than Marill as it stays with the Psychic support theme. Marill needs water energy to use its rather nice attack. Decent Psychics should keep much of the Fighting horde at bay.

Last edited:
NoPoke: Marril is GOOD, as it's the only free-retreat basic in EON I believe. The purpose is not to attack with it, but send it active after a Switch/Warp Energy/Warp Point/something dies. Espeon just takes up space. I'd have to have 4 psychic energies and a warp energy just to attack twice in a row, then it'd be every other turn after that.

Here's my current version:

Pokemon-19
4 Slakoth (RS Slack off)
4 Vigoroth (Rage)
4 Slaking
3 Wynaut
2 Wobbuffet
2 Mewtwo ex

Trainers-23
4 Copycat
4 Oran Berry
4 Switch
3 Memory Berry
2 Master Ball
2 Prof. Oak's Research
2 Warp Point
1 Oracle
1 Town Volunteers

Energy-16
14 Psychic
2 Warp

I changed a few things, like dropping boost energy for another Switch and Warp Point. I'm thinking of going 4/4/3 on Slaking or MAYBE even 4/3/3 since Wynaut/Masterball can nab my evolutions and basics. By turn four/five I could be ready to attack EVERY turn, which is not bad =)

Any other suggestions?

Try juggler so mewtwo is a good starter and also try fisherman to help restore lost energy from slaking

NoPoke said:
Stop using Marill to fix decks! LOL

Picks up his toys and decides to have a tantrum!

;)

energy switch is good too...

I suggested Espeon rather than Marill as it stays with the Psychic support theme. Marill needs water energy to use its rather nice attack. Decent Psychics should keep much of the Fighting horde at bay.
Marril is the only "natural" free-retreating basic in Eon, and it has a 75% of paralysis. It's almost a staple now.

Except the fact it was reprinted for overseas patrons (overseas to America that is). Well at least that what a bunch of my friends and I have noticed.

I know that Marill is good *sob* *sob*... its just not in any packs outside the USA :(

it has a single retreat cost in the International packs :(

Last edited:
Great deck stegy. I agree with the others that free retreat merill works great in this deck with warp point. And azuamrill works great with boost as does slaking. I also like espeon (SS) for boost abuse. Here is my first take at this deck.
20 pokes
4 marill - free retreat
2 azumarill - situational with boost
2 eevee SS
2 espeon SS -boost abuse killer of high nrg decks
4 slakoth - slack off
3 vigoroth - rage
3 slaking

traniner
4 oak
4 shaman
2 fan club
2 nurse
3 warp point
2 switch
3 memory berry
2 rare candy
2 town volunteers - you discard nrg with slaking so you need 2

16 nrg
5 psy
5 water
4 boost
2 warp
I love boost in this deck. I may drop the espeon line for whynaut/wobbuffet, SS xatu for healing active slakings or 2 BBP's and more draw

Last edited:
Warp points and warp nrg do not do the same thing. Warp nrg moves only your active to the bench. With warp point your opponent moves his active to the bench and choose which benched poke to replace it with first, then you do the same. So you warp point when your opponent has a weak bench and/or slaking can't attack, send up marill with the free retreat, retreat marill and OHKO your opponents poke with slaking.

Last edited:
Espeon just takes up space. It can probably do just as much damage, probably even less, than Slaking will. And what Azumarill are you talking about, Psychodad? I don't understand. AQ Azumarill COULD use Boost Energy but it doesn't ABSUSE it.

Warp Point is better than Warp Energy in this deck. Most things on the bench will have less than 100hp, so Slaking can take them down. I have Warp Point maxed out, along with Switch and I still run Warp Energy.

Slaking doesn't NEED to use Critical Move; that's why I have Memory Berry in the deck. If it took enough damage to KO something then use Rage, saving the energy.

Again, I believe Espeon just takes up space, as it's not really effective versus the bigger decks. Mewtwo ex is better IMO because it's a constant 60/120 damage and it's a beast too ;x

Thanks for all the replies though. They help immensely. :thumb:

Stegy
The Sand Storm Azumarill. Max bubbles flip for each nrg on your active pokemon does 30 per head for WC. Drop a boost on azumarill and flip 3 more times. It works well. I do like your deck list. It is faster without espy/azumarill. I tested my list after the post. It's slow. Espy does slow the deck way down while whynaut really helps the speed and wobuffet is very good in this format. For me I am trying to play this deck as a OHKO thing. Warp point out any low hp poke off the bench, send out free retreat marill, then bring out w/e for the OHKO and collect a prize. Anyway, nice deck. It looks like a contender.

Last edited:
Ah, I stand corrected. I thought it was a flip for each WATER energy. My bad.

Venusaur; you have a point, and a very good one. I'd probably only Warp Point if I knew I would survive an attack from my opponent's attacker OR get out of trouble and send up Mewtwo ex for a few turns while I rebuild another Slaking. I know Blaziken cannot OHKO Slaking, as can't Sceptile or Swampert. Gardevoir might be able to; I wouldn't be surprised.

I love how the deck is getting popular. :thumb:

..too bad I don't have the cards to build it ;x

stegy
You haven't built it? Hmmm. I have played it the last few nights. I really like nurse if you use boost. Send out slaking with 1 nrg, attach a boost for critical move, warp point next turn after taking damage (or switch, or warp nrg) out, nurse away all damsge. I am playing 4/3/3 on slaking, 3/2 wynaut/wobbuffet and 3/2 marill/azuamrill and 4 boost. I also use 4 oaks research and 4 shaman over copy cat and oracle. It works better for me in this format and in this deck. You ask why warp point? There is alot of bench sitting in this format. You do not need warp point if you can keep slaking alive as the active and stop powers. Often times you can't. I like to wipe out any benched pokes that may pose a threat should slaking die or get benched. Plus if I critical moved the turn before, warp point send out marill, free retreat, and kill with critical move again. I try to get ahead fast and then shut them down with slakings power, memory berry, and nurse. So far the deck does well against blazekin/eggs and gardivior but has lost to omastar. Omastar does not rely on powers much and is just fast. I have not played against Septile. I'll play against a good one on Saturday @ the PokeShack. He techs in water weak fighting for fighting weak pokes like slaking. His tech can easily OHKO slaking. That's OK, I'll eliminate it with azuamrill. That's why I like water in this deck. It should be a good match.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back