Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Croatian Nationals report

Boro

Croatian Nationals…

Well, since I made a bad record (2-3) and overall 11th of 14/15 people, let me give some insight on how the thing in general went.

The story starts somewhere aruond July 15th, when it is announced that the Nats are taking place the following Thursday, which would be the 28th. I rushed to the 'Gym, eager to find the cards I so desperately needed. But (there's always a but, isn't it?), I wasn't sure which deck to pick for the metagame, so I asked a member of the 'Gym, named supertyranitar, for help. He suggested DragTrode. So I went on, looking for the cards. A strange idea occured to me… Why wouldn't I send a PM to everyone in the «Who's online» box? And I did so, but I chose a few people at random, and since they didn't reply, I just went on as planned. Only a few minutes after I sent the PM, I got a reply. From……. Avmozz. Saying that he could find the cards I need and send right away. We made the deal and the cards were sent. The rest of the cards were underway too, thanks to RainbowRichards, who said we'll come up with a fair trade once my Nats are history. (Brian, I sent a PM, hope you got it. Contact me, ok?) And so, I spent the following days playtesting a tad bit with both supertyranitar and Adam Garcia and exodus. And the day came. Some of the cards were still missing, most notably, Rocket's Sneasel ex.

Thursday, I woke up at 4 AM. And waited until 8 to leave the house and go to the Nats. After a short ride (3 hours, mind you :biggrin: ) I came to the site and immediately started asking for cards that I was missing. I ended up with a suboptimal deck of cards which doesn't deserve to be shown. The Nats started at 11:30.

Well, this would be the meat, but I do not remember all the facts…so….

Round 1 v/Darkness&Lightning deck, with splashed Dark Sandslash.

Dark Raticate won this one….

Round 2 v/Lightning&Darkness, many exs

I lose this one due to the early powered up Manectric on his side.

Round 3 v/Venusaur ex&Lickitung&Wigglytuff RG

Well, I should've won this one, but I followed the Spirit of the Game and let her take back a move, and after she gets a fully powered Venusaur ex, I lose. The Spirit of the Game cost me this one, but whatever.

Lunch Break!!!!!

Round 4 v/Niniken

Well, it was a fast one, with him powering up some Ninetales with the Blazes, and me having a bad bad bad setup.

Round 5 v/Water

I won, mostly due to his weakness.

That's it.

The prize support was great! Everyone got: a pen, 60 sleeves, 5 Series 1 boosters, Grovyle promo. I also got a bag, a Totodile painting, and that's most likely it. I'm happy…

After the tournament, I got back home, rearranged the cards, and went to sleep.

We got a Grovyle winner stamped promo for participating. I thought we're getting Machamp, but the TO mentioned something about it being given solely to the staff…. Did you get Machamp for participating only?

Special THANKS:

Avmozz – for supplying me with the most of the cards
RRichards – for supplying me with the cards
Venusaur – for sending R Snex – didn't get it yet mate
supertyranitar – deck advice & playtest
KG1337 – deck advice
Adam Garcia - playtest
exodus – playtest
If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry, PM me so I can add you here…

Loging off, Boro

Thanks for the report! Seems like things are just getting going there...

A surprise Nationals! :eek:/:frown: The bright side is at least they were held I guess. Hopefully better notice next year and hope the new season will be fun/better organized.

At US Nationals, everyone got a Machamp, until they ran out. Don't know what your distributor received, though.

As a judge, in a tournament situation, take back is up to the opponent, in my view; I don't let people just reverse a play without asking.

Anyway, good for you! Amidst a lot of less-than-optimal circumstances you made a high-road decision. While negative consequences to you were immediate, maybe in the long run, you'll derive further benefit. Hopefully your decision helped your opponent learn/enjoy, helped provide a pleasant atmosphere for the Game in general and contributed to the growth of the Organized Play scene in Croatia. Best wishes for success! in the future.

Great report - sorry my cards arrived on Thursday - after the event! :redface:

I received your PM of course - no hurry at all - maybe I have a Nationals logo Machamp for you :wink:

Thank you for the kind words. :redface: :redface: Thanks again.

Well, hopefully, for next year, I'll finish my deck. And then, maybe I'll qualify for Worlds. :biggrin: :biggrin: And I may talk my father into playing. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Best thing here is that you tried mate......you tried to get the cards, you tried to win with what you had.........if you keep on trying then you should be proud of yourself!!!

Bulbasnore has said most of this already but it is great to see random gatherings of players from all over the world!!

Good on you for trying to do well and if Brian doesnt hook you up with a Machamp them I am sure I can find you one from somewhere!!

Play your dad and let him win......he will think he is good....then get him addicted and he will want to play more than you :)

Well Done :)

Last edited:
too bad there weren't many competitors =(
(I suppose)

Nice report, I hope you will get your deck done in time next year =o

Thanks, fellow DragTrode player. :smile:

I believe I can get the cards in time for next year, and win the bloody thing. :smile:

hey Boro, i hope you had a great time at Nationals, im pretty sure i would've swept it, but i couldn't make it, no matter, WORLDS 2006 HERE I COME!

Back