Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cross-Platform Tournament Software (progress and suport)

GreatFox

Hello everyone, as stated in an other topic, SteveP had developed an alternative ware to TMS with great sucsess :p . Of course, it was a Windows only thing. After talking with him a bit, we reached an agreement to try to bring this to both Windows and Mac OS X users. Of course, we would like to know how much people are willing to support this effort especially how many Mac OS X users (and possibly Classic Mac users) would like to use this ware.

Let us know what OS you would plan on using this and show us your support (especially Mac OS X users).

So to start off...

I'm behind this 100% for a Mac OS X version! :D

IMO, Mac OS X is the best thing that is widely available for any computer right now. I don't have a Mac with which to use it, but go for it!!!

GreatFox said:
Of course, we would like to know how much people are willing to support this effort especially how many Mac OS X users (and possibly Classic Mac users) would like to use this ware.
Count me in for Mac OSX! I can test in Panther and Jaguar. I can possibly even test in Mac On Linux, if that's twisted enough for you.

Looking forward to something that Just Works!

:unknown-b

GreatFox said:
Let us know what OS you would plan on using this and show us your support (especially Mac OS X users).

Man, that is good news. I would definitely like to see an open-source cross-platform product. Any chance you're going to do a sourceforge-hosted project? I could help get you guys started with that.

I would definitely use it on Mac OS X.

What do you need?

Well... Just waiting on SteveP now to get his copy of RealBasic and crunch out his newer version of the software which I will then recheck and rebuild the GUI for Mac OS X.

Keep posting your support, the more feedback we get the better.

Last edited:
SteveP here.

I'm finishing up on redesigning my Windows-based software to:

- support Top X playoffs
- support large tournaments (the current version only supports 64 players, 10 rounds)
- external files stored in text-based, tab-delimited files to allow easy reading/manipulating by spreadsheets
- easier/faster data entry with alternate entry methods (tabular and form based entry)
- documentation

After this, I'll either download RealBasic later next week (after I get my broadband internet connection) or buy the product in a couple weeks.

Depending on the learning curve, I'll see if I can get the RealBasic Windows version working before States. GreatFox will work on the Mac version.

Bulbasnore, yes, please help with the scourceforge hookup. email or PM me. I'll like to start a requirements/design discussion before we start coding.

Finally, does anyone want to try developing a WindowsCE or PalmOS mini-version? Maybe later down the road we can do that.

Last edited:
babayaga said:
Count me in for Mac OSX! I can test in Panther and Jaguar. I can possibly even test in Mac On Linux, if that's twisted enough for you.

Looking forward to something that Just Works!

Yah, 'just works' seems like a major goal. Nice to also get something cross platform in passing. I mean, why not? Its a matter of beginning with the end in mind.

I use your pdf file. It rules.

bulbasnore said:
I use your pdf file. It rules.
:cool: Thanks. Not to hijack the thread, but I pushed the updates over to IPGeek yesterday so make sure you fetch the freshest!

I like your comment about begining with the end in mind. 3% of computer desktops are Macs. 3% of computer desktops are Linux. That represents real people with real needs for software, and two platforms that are extremely stable. There's not reason to not create cross-platform or concurrent versions, not when there are things like Java and graphical tool kits that will install in windoze.

One just has to start thinking out of the traditional box.

I run league in a tournament style. (keeps the kids playing cards instead of playing. ) (we trade after 4 rounds)

I'd love to try the updated version at league this weekend.

Looking foward to its availability.

Realling looking for a MAC OSX version :) :) :)

Heck Id even chip in a few bucks for the cost of Real Basic. 5-10 bucks via pay-pal or something.

babayaga said:
3% of computer desktops are Macs. 3% of computer desktops are Linux. That represents real people with real needs for software, and two platforms that are extremely stable. There's not reason to not create cross-platform or concurrent versions, not when there are things like Java and graphical tool kits that will install in windoze.
And thats where RealBasic fits in. I'm also thinking about porting it over to Linux; I just have to see if RealBasic actually builds Linux Apps as GUI Apps or Comand Line.
annisarich said:
Heck Id even chip in a few bucks for the cost of Real Basic. 5-10 bucks via pay-pal or something.
We're not doing this for the money. We're doing this cause there is a real need for a working app at the moment and cause there are a group of people Using Mac OS X and Linux that are always getting the short end of the stick on these things. But heck, we appreciate the offer. This is how you know your work is appreciated and supported when others start making these kinds of offers. :)

Back