Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Crystal Shard vs. other type-change effects

Chairman Kaga

The current rulings state that Crystal Shard overrides any other type-change effects:

Compendium said:
== TYPE SHIFT (Salamence EX - EX: Dragon Frontiers)

Q. If you attach Crystal Shard to Salamence-EX and then later during the same turn use its "Type Shift" Poké-POWER, what color would Salamence-EX become?
A. As long as Crystal Shard is attached, Salamence-EX's type remains colorless. (Feb 8, 2007 PUI Rules Team)

== CRYSTAL SHARD (Skyridge; EX: Deoxys; EX: Crystal Guardians)

Q. If I have a Kecleon with several basic Energy cards attached and I attach a Crystal Shard to it, does its Type change back to Colorless or does its Power override the Tool? Would it be 100% Colorless or would one of its Types become Colorless (and you would get to choose which Type now is Colorless)?
A. Crystal Shard does override the Poké-BODY, and a Pokémon Crystal Shard is attached to becomes "Colorless" only. (Jan 29, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

My question is, what is it about Crystal Shard that causes it to override the other effects? It doesn't seem consistent with other established rules (particularly the ones covering multiple simultaneous effects). Or is this one of those "Japan said it's this way and that's that" things?

Bonus Question: Do any other cards act like this? (Only if you can think of them off-hand, don't waste your free time researching for me.)

Last edited:
Crystal Shard is a continuous effect. It says "As long as Crystal Shard is attached to a Pokemon ..." The effects you are referring to are activated at a point in time, but since Crystal Shard is continuous, it changes the type back to :colorless right away.

BDS

Back