Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Current Modified Format-opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGame

Hi Guys, Question for everybody-now that Magma/Aqua is here, what are your feelings about the current modified environment? Do you feel that the " need for speed " has all but destroyed the strategy of our game? With the current dominance of archetypes such as BAR, Gardy ex, Amphy ex ,Blaziken ex ????? etc. is it increasingly difficult to inject a good dollop of strategy into your decks? Or are you happy with the current metagame?
Recently I have been making more and more rogue decks so that my son( PokePup ) and myself can have some variety in our gameplay but in playtesting they usually still come up short against the main archetypes!
With the release of the last few sets, do you think they have advanced our game play or have they robbed it of more strategy for the sake of speed? Also do you think that the best modified decks would " cut the mustard " in the unlimited format?
Dont get me wrong, this is not a rant against the current modified format but I'm interested to see what you guys think!
Opinions anyone??

thus far, I think that it's the most wide open format that we've had for Constructed. At least in this format, there are two dominant decks, as opposed to the last two Modified formats, which were both G8r or Anti-G8r. Certain rogue decks can do extremely well, if built right (ask M45 about that, he'll tell you).

Most wideopen format? No way.

This is a very exclusionary format now. Neo On was in my opinion the most wide open format, there wasn't really a single archetype that dominated all.

I think it all depends on the area you play. Around my area, only a few people have enough money to build a BAR deck. Almost everyone plays a rogue deck, even if they do have a Gardevoir/BAR deck. Still, I think Sceptile and Salamence(my two main E-on decks) have a good chance of making it.

Random: Unless you noticed, Neon had two types of decks: G8r, and Anti-G8r (Big Fire included in that catagory). In Eon, I see 2 dominant decks with at least 3 or 4 others (including the Fossil push and that Salamance) that could potentially beat those and win major tourneys (heck, one already has. Fossil push won the Chicago CC over at least 3-5 BAR, 3-5 Gex, and 2-4 M2X)

bullados said:
Random: Unless you noticed, Neon had two types of decks: G8r, and Anti-G8r (Big Fire included in that catagory). In Eon, I see 2 dominant decks with at least 3 or 4 others (including the Fossil push and that Salamance) that could potentially beat those and win major tourneys (heck, one already has. Fossil push won the Chicago CC over at least 3-5 BAR, 3-5 Gex, and 2-4 M2X)

No wonder they call you BULL! I will coment on the above on 2 different fronts.
First off, Were you under a rock last year? How could you honestly say that the only thing to come out of modified was G8R. The neo on format was by far the most fun and diverse format to date. Crobat, magcargo, jumpluff, tyranitar, gator, dragonite, meganium, and sooooo many more showed up at the Fan Appreciation Tournament. Your glasses must not have changed to INDOOR mode while you were there. Maybe G8R was all you seemed to metagame, but believe me, the neo on format was hard to metagame as a whole.

Second, and most important. While M45's fossil deck is one to be reckoned with, I do recall him taking SECOND place in the Chicago CC. The reason that I know this is because...... I TOOK FIRST! Not with an archetype either. I won with a deck that I created myself. Not one that has been seen on the boards, like all those BAR and Gardy decks. I actually took the time to playtest and tweek it. People who run these 2 main archetypes lack creativity.

A word to the wise.....
Playing only Bar and Gardy will get them put into the box with SLOWKING and SNEASEL!

Take it for what its worth...
jimmy
:nonono:

I think Bull was confusing the late-stages of Rocket On format with the Neo-on format.
Gatr lost two key cards when the Gym sets cycled out of Modified.

Hey Guys!! I wasnt looking for a slanging match!! I just wanted your opinions on the points I raised i.e. speed versus strategy!! Any more opinions?

Speed kills and that's the strategy, how you execute it and which deck goes off first now that is the debate..

But for me right now ... as they say in 40k Red Ones go Faster it's Blaziken and something.. be it BAR or BABex it just looks so strong. Add to that swarming Kingdra and Muk/Sceptile/Sceptile Ex/Something as yet unseen..

It's all open guys and gals :)

Gatr collapsed when Misty's Wrath became unplayable.

Neo On was the best format because (a) the variety of decks and (b) the balance of the cards.

My major issue with the current format is the OHKO. That's what every deck seems to be based around.

Go back and take a look at the old Haymakers. They were based around Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, and Scyther. Remember how we thought they hit hard? Ha! Weaklings now.

THAT is the biggest problem. The games turn into a slugfest. Whoever gets out the biggest, baddest Pokemon first, wins.

No need to get touchy guys. ;x

Bullados, I can tell you that Gatr was a minute archetype at GenCon. It may have comprised 15% of the decks. The top 3 were probably Scizor, Gatr, and Entei/Cargo. I played Jumpluff/Starmie, and faired well against Scizor and Cargo, but ...the rending jaws Gatr gets me every time ;)

~ RaNd0m

My opinion on the current modified?

Well, i hate to be selfish, but with my lack of money and time to build decks, im basically dead as we know it. All I have is my stupid little Tyranitar deck that i was lucky enough to get 11th place with at the Windy City CC a good while back. And that dumb deck only won 2 rounds because of a miscalculation in damage and a poor basic set up on my opponent's side of the field. In other words, JUST PLAIN OLD, PATHETIC LUCK! THE SAME STUFF THAT'S BEEN HAUNTING ME EVER SINCE I WAS IN THIS GAME! I wasnt even able to go to the TM/TA pre-release, which puts me a bigger disadvantage since i dont have cards from the newest set.

So if you're at a disadvantage like me, then you would start thinking that there's no point in playing the game anymore. Im sorry for sounding so selfish and negative, but this is how I feel right now.

I guess I'm lucky, in that I've got a big pool of cards to choose from but my son and me still get bored with the " crash,bang,wallop " strategy of the current metagame! Rogue decks for home, but when it comes to tourneys then I'm afraid we have to bring out the Gardy ex,BAR, Amphy ex etc. otherwise we crash and burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back