Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

:D - - Ardoptres' brief 1st place report

Ardoptres

OK, so me and my friend Stephan N (a Senior) have the whole week to test. I'm a little stressed out as I couldn't remember if I had my English exam on Monday or Tuesday. I found out later that it was on Tuesday, so I got more relaxed as I had Monday to finish my preparations. We tested all week, and it seemed like it was either Flygon or Luxray X/InfernapeX/Techs that was the play. On Thursday we had pretty much settled on one of those deck, but for some reason Stephan thought we should test Gengar. The deck was so good, and we couldn't find anything that could beat it - and you know the saying: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! And so we did.

Anyways, we arrive at the venue at about 5 pm, and i'm a little p****d off, as our Nationals was held in a city called Solrød, which is on the eastern part of Denmark named Zealand. It has always been held on Funen, which is the middle part of DK. We knew attendance was gonna be lower than last year, and it was. Not to mention we had to pay for sleeping on our own blow-up-beds in a gym, and that it was in the middle of nowhere, so we had to buy stuff from the kiosk ind the tournament-room. On top of that, some of the people there didn't know what logic was (putting it nicely), which was really annoying and upset me even more.

Sooooo, I register at Saturday after a brief overview of my decklist, where I choose not to change anything. I go with 2 Luxury Ball over 1 Lux Ball and 1 Devoluter.

Going into the tournament, I wasn't expecting to do well, seeing as I hadn't even won a BR this year. I blamed the SR-to-MA-thing, lol.

R1 vs. Susanne
Her Nidoqueen is priced, so my Gengar-spread + Crobat G madness is efficient enough for me to pull off the victory.

1-0

R2 vs. Jesper
He played a monarchy deck, but all i saw were Nidorans. Sorry.

2-0

R3 vs.idk
IRDK, but I won

3-0

R4 vs. Morten
We both spread a little and I keep not getting my Fainting Spells to work. I misplace my last Psychic energy and fail to draw my last Call Energy in my 2 remaining prizes and lose because of those two. One of the toughest matches throughout the competition!

3-1

I'm getting a little psyched now, and I expect my usual bad luck to kick in and make me go 3-3 like last year (don't ask, lol)

R5 vs. Steffen
I fail to see his strategy against my deck early in the game, which ends up almost giving him the victory. Luckily I am able to take a few quick prizes in the end to seal his fate. Oh, and my T5 Gengar didn't help much either (. . . . . . . .).

4-1

R6 vs. Christian
I get paired up against my friend who was 5-0 (props!) and I know that I will go to the T8 no matter what. Anyways, he gets nothing while I at least have a slow start. I take 2 prizes with Unown G (lol!) and another few prizes with Crobat G + Room and he can't recover.

5-1

I am so relieved at this point, and decide to make some nice trades. I get a couple of new LV. Xs and an Uxie LV. X + other stuff, for older Lv. Xs I otherwise couldn't get rid of - My 5 Palkia G X were getting annoying, lol.

They announce the standings, and the JRs already get their prizes. There are only 18 players, and for some reason, the TO thought it was a good decision to only give T16 prizes. Can you say omg? That was ridiculous. So I give the 2 last place finshers a pack each out of my own pocket and felt good about myself :p

I talk and play a little with Eskil, always ending up speaking english instead of danish and norwegian. I learn some stuff about Japan OP which was quite interesting.

At about 2 am i decide to go to bed, but if forgot my watch at the bathroom, so I went to get it. The OP, Jens, offers me 9 RR packs to take out some nasty trash, which I of course accept. I end up opening a Flygon Lv. X and Frost Rotom. Not bad!

I wake up at 8:50 am the next morning, and I have to hurry if I want some breakfast. After eating a little food, i get busy being nervous :p I am playing vs. Steffen E in T8, which is a good matchup for me (like all decks were, lol), but I am always unlucky vs him

T8
G1: He gets a so-so start while mine is awesome, and I win this one quite easily.
G2: See game 1

I felt a little bad, but Steffen told me that the matchup was just too much in my favor anyways, so I was happy he didn't get mad or something.

T4 vs. Steffen F
G1: He has weakness, which I know will work in my favor. We both work them Crobats (lol :p) and it gets down to 1-1 when I poltergeist for a lot.
G2: Pretty much a repeat of G1, except I poltergeist for 240 for my last price, lol.

We shake hands, and it seems like Steffen is happy just for getting the invite. These games were by far the toughest! Tougher than I expected, actually.

Finals vs. Hakim
G1: My super-super setup, easy prizes using room + crobat and fainting spell + heads seals the deal.
G2: See G1

I am so happy at this point, and I still can't believe I won the free trip. If I hadn't won, I would have wasted the invite :D

I win a booster in the drawing-competition for my Eskil EX, which I give to a Junior player.

I get my prizes and open my 2 boxes. Get 3 Xs, 4 Rotoms and 4 Pikachus, lol. I wanted 1 more X, but it's alright. :p

At this point, you probably figured out I didn't JUST play Gengar/Crobat, but I can't reveal the whole deck, and I can't reveal any of the decks i played in the top-cut (and I left out some other decks too, so people don't get mad). I don't know if YOU know, but the people here are probably the most secretive ever. I don't mind revealing my deck, but they do, so yeah....

AAAAAAAND, my friend Stephan N won too. Our lists had a 1-card-difference (i played 2 warp point instead of 1 and 3 haunter), so it was definitely THE play for nats. Quite cool.

Props:
Stephan N (also for winning)
Dennis S
All of my poké-friends :D Simon, steffen, christian, sam, jade, malik, nathan etc etc etc etc
TBA TBA TBA
Good trades
Pulling well in my packs
TBA!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Eskil + other staff
anything else i forgot in my tiredness

Slops:
The venue
The venue
The venue
The venue
Did I say the venue?
The venue
EDIT: Also: THE VENUE

Last edited:
Congrats, Peter! Even though you beat Steffen (both of them, LOL) you definitely deserved to win. That extra card in Gengar is just unbeatable... :p

So see you in San Diego? :D

Oh, and I just wanted to say that I thought it was interesting that you talked English with Eskil. You need to brush op on your Norwegian skills ;) It's cos Danish people can't pronounce words properly :tongue::wink::tongue:

Btw, how could they give the Juniors prizes if the T4 hadn't been played yet?

Oh, and I just wanted to say that I thought it was interesting that you talked English with Eskil. You need to brush op on your Norwegian skills ;) It's cos Danish people can't pronounce words properly :tongue::wink::tongue:

Seeing as all other people, including the TO and staff, were talking English ONLY, I am quite satisfied with just understanding half of what he said in Norwegian, lol (and i think he feels the same way about me talking Danish :D)

David: Thanks! :D

You have no idea what I would give to play in your nats... lol

I'm going to have to deal with a 9min round, 700 something player 2 day top 64 cut monster in just a few weeks. 6 rounds... You guys just don't realize how lucky you are. ;P

Hopefully I'll make it to worlds and see you there. GJ on the win!

gengar... crobat G... hummm, smells like stronda.dec :D
ya, we spoke a bit ago, but gratz again.
enjoy your time, playing worlds is nice, but when you come from nats winner its best feeling for sure! i know how you feel.

Once again: Congrats. :D
And thanks for the props.

About speaking English: I was actually happy when you spoke to me in Danish and let me answer in Norwegian. (Almost) all other Danes this weekend would answer me in English when I tried to speak to them in Norwegian. ;) I think I often switched over to English halfway through the conversation just because I had gotten so used to speaking English. :p

hmm never heard of Solrod. Anyways congrats on your epic win! I figured that after your top 2 place last year you were bound to take the win. Look forward to seeing you at worlds :)

peter ilu for winning now i'll see you at Worlds too! <333

Awesome stuff man, now we're taking San Diego. ;D

EDIT : Yeay I'm propped. =]

Last edited:
Back