Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dark Ascention vs. Healing shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeileMom

EDIT:
OK, I found a ruling that has messed up a lot of what I wrote. Nuts!
According to this ruling, the Healing Shower ruling is correct, but I still think that the Dark Ampharos is incorrect. Here's the ruling:
Q. If you use Rare Candy to evolve a Pokémon, and the evo card has a "Coming into Play" Pokémon Power (such as Dark Crobat), does that coming into play power get activated?
A. Using Powers, Attacks, or Trainers to put a Pokémon in the game does not count as "playing the card from your hand" so coming into play Powers will not activate. (Oct 23, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

The important part is "Using Powers, Attacks, or Trainers to put a Pokemon in the game does not count as"playing the card from your hand."
SO the Healing Shower Ruling makes sense, but the Darkest Impulse ruling does not. If using Rare Candy evolving does not count as "playing the card from your hand" then it CANNOT activate the Darkest Impluse Poke-Body which states:

Poké- Body Darkest Impulse.
As long as Dark Ampharos is in play, whenever your opponent plays an evolution card from his or her hand, to evolve 1 of his or her Pokémon, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon. You can't use more than 1 Darkest Impulse Poké- Body each turn.

Correct????

I'm leaving all the the stuff I wrote earlier because its kind of how I came to this in the first place.
Thanks!!!
---Nicole

Hi,
I'm a little confused about the rulings for these two. I'm guessing the difference lies in the fact that one is a poke-body and one is a poke-power but I wanted to ask just to make sure. Here are the definitions and the rulings:

Poké- Body Darkest Impulse.
As long as Dark Ampharos is in play, whenever your opponent plays an evolution card from his or her hand, to evolve 1 of his or her Pokémon, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon. You can't use more than 1 Darkest Impulse Poké- Body each turn.

Q. Does Rare Candy activate Dark Ampharos' "Darkest Impulse"?
A. Yes, it does. (Nov 4, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Milotic
Poké- Power Healing Shower

Once during your turn, when you play Milotic from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may remove all damage counters from all of your Pokémon and your opponent's Pokémon (excluding Pokémon- ex)

== HEALING SHOWER (Milotic - EX:Hidden Legends)

Q. If I use Rare Candy to evolve Feebas into Milotic, can I still take advantage of Milotic's "Healing Shower" Poke-Power at that time?
A. No. Healing Shower states "when you play Milotic from your hand to evolve..."; otherwise it would have been phrased "when Milotic comes into play from your hand..." (Jul 1, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Like I said, unless the difference lies in the fact that one is a poke-power and one is a poke-body, I'm confused about why the rulings appear to contradict one another.

Both cards use basically the same phrases about playing an evolution card from your hand to evolve 1 pokemon.

I would think that if Rare Candy evolution is considered, "when (insert Pokemon name) comes into play" such as the Healing Shower ruling states that then it should also be applied to the Darkest Impluse ruling because the Pokemon using Rare Candy should be considered as "coming into play from your opponent's hand" and the wording says, "whenever your opponent plays an evolution card from his or her hand, to evolve 1 of his or her Pokémon" instead, thus making the Healing Shower ruling "come into play" :biggrin:
SO (to reiterate) you have a choice of:

1)The Healing Shower ruling
which ruled that Pokemon using Rare Candy are considered "coming into play from your hand to evolve" not "playing from your hand to evolve"
therefore the Darkest Impulse Poke-body should not work on Pokemon who are Rare Candied into play because they are not being played from the opponent's hand to evolve.

OR

2)The Darkest Impulse Ruling
which states that Darkest Impulse works on Pokemon "coming into play from your hand to evolve" by means of Rare Candy,
therefore the Healing Shower should also work on Rare Candy evolved Pokemon.

WHEW!!!!

We have sent the ruling up the line and it's been asked to Japan for clarification.
We await their response...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back