Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dark Explorers Zorua 1st turn?

Alitig1

Can you use the Ascension attack on the first turn to evolve into Zoarark? I thought you couldn't evolve at all on the first turn but this is an attack not for my hand?

Yeah you can but you can't attack with Zoroark on turn 1 anyway so the attack is balanced.

On your first turn, if you use it, ascension is the attack. After you use it, your turn is over. The next turn, you could attach a DCE to Zoroark and use Foul Play if you wanted to, it doesn't matter after that. You just can't attack with Zoroark on your first turn because your turn ends as soon as you use Ascension.

Really? You can indeed do T1 Ascension? Since the attack states that it counts as evolving Zorua I thought you would not be allowed to do that turn 1.

Really? You can indeed do T1 Ascension? Since the attack states that it counts as evolving Zorua I thought you would not be allowed to do that turn 1.
It's stupid wording that's been around since the earliest sets, but it does work on the first turn.

It's stupid wording that's been around since the earliest sets, but it does work on the first turn.

Nice to know that I have been playing earlier cards like it right the whole time. Like the Weedle from Unleashed with the Speed Evolution move. Might as well just say screw the other move it has. In Zorua's case, Scratch.

DCE, Dark Claw, Scratch FTW

Don't forget Pluspower.

And because it is an attack, you can use it if you have the required energy. The evolving is an effect of the attack as well as being counted as evolving, to my knowledge. And since you have nothing preventing you from fulfilling the effect of the attack, you should be able to use a T1 Ascension.

The "This counts as evolving" wording means that you would do anything else that is included in evolving, like removing status.

Normal gameplay rules do state you cannot evolve turn 1, however in almost all card games, if a card overrides the basic game rules, the card take precedence (provided the card is not errata'd)

Back a few formats ago, we had a supporter names Wally's Training. That card allowed us to search our deck for a pokemon card that evolved from your active pokemon and evolve it (This counts as evolving that pokemon).
If you did Wally's training first on a squirtle to get a wartortle, on the same turn, you could NOT evolve to blastoise, because the wartortle is not eligible to be evolved.
HOWEVER if you evolved to wartortle normally, then played Wally's training, that WOULD work, because the card supersedes the normal gameplay rules.

Back