Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Davie, FL Battle Road Report

ApachePrime

I would have two reports, but I can't remember a lot of details about Saturday. So here's my Davie, FL Battle Roads report:

Davie, FL @ WAR and PIECES. I quickly find out that the guy to know in Davie is Pokemon Larry. Larry hosts the league here and is an incredibly nice guy, and from what I saw a great player. His kids love the league, and he hosted a GREAT tournament.

We show up early after a 2.5 hour drive and there's alredy a few people there. The room fills up quickly and deck checks are fast and furious, everyone wants to play.

At this point, I'd like to note that I didn't memorize anyone's last names.

First Round:
David - Playing Magnezone.
This match isn't hard for my deck, but he got a good first hand and I got a baltoy start with no mulligans. I do what I can to bring out Eevees but his 10 minute turns aren't helping. By the time I think to say anything to a judge we're at the 15 minute mark, he's trying to figure out if he wants to waste a discard to paralyze something he's knocking out or to just hit me. I shake my head and scoop before I say anything that I wouldn't appreciate. I found out he went on to win only one more game.

Round Two: 0-1
Greg - Kingdra
I was hanging out with Steve Silvestro and he was worried about Greg. I've played Greg before at Regionals or states, and it was a slaughterhouse. He just walked right over me. I was nervous going into this match-up and knew I'dhave to play a perfect game.

I get the Leafeon X going FAST and continuously heal with the Dawn. He uses the dawn to his advantage, but not nearly as much as I do. The resistance makes this match CLOSE. He discard a water and a plus power, and I mistake it for plying the plus. He hadn't added my leaf guard and thought he was Dragon Pump-ing for the KO. "Oh, you're only playing one plus?" and of course I felt dumb for asking and immediately felt bad when he asked if he could take it back.

After a painful deliberation on my part he very sportsmanly says "I wouldn't let me. Don't worry about it." And we continue a VERY close game until I grab the last prize thanks to my resistance.

Round Three: 1-1
Dawn - Garchomp/Yanmega
This game was even closer than Greg's. Dawn gets a quick Garchomp with a fire energy on it, and I reveal the Glaceon too early. She throws a metal on the second chomp on her bench and I start fighting for my life. Leafeons take Chomps, chomps take leafeons, and then I'm left with Glaceon and Vaporeon. I use Vap to heal the glaceon and then use it to whyper whirlpool her lighting and metal energies away. She scoops a spiritomb and leaves my glaceon with 20 HP on the bench(Thanks to Espeon) and brings up Yanmega with 70 Damage on it. "Sonic Wave for the knock out." When I add the one damage counter to everything I put up Glaceon and hit her with an avalanche for the last prize.

Round Four: 2-1
Aiyumi - Kingdra
Aiyumi beat Greg first round so I Was pretty worried again. Steve told me to be careful. Aiyumi was super nice during setup and we chatted a bit about Pokemon. We started the game very positively. I flip my Eevee and a baltoy, while she flips a lone Horsea. I call. She attaches and smokescreens. I evolve to Glaceon, Dawn Stadium, Snow Cloak. She smokescreens again with only an energy draw. I drop the premiere ball and throw down a Glaceon X to snow cloak for the game. I was really sad to not play a full game, but there were still quite a few matches going on around us so I didn't get to ask her for another match-up.

Round Five: 3-1
Richard - AMU/Froslass
Richard just beat my girlfriend, and we could hear him talking trash across the room. I HAD to win this one. He sits down and starts talking a mile a minute. Luckily Steve Silvestro is sitting right there, and he keeps me going. We catch Richard in his own web, and he quickly quiets down to focus on the game after an early misplay. Glaceon X goes beast and tears up his bench, netting me 3 Prizes. Near knockout, I switch, Level up leafeon, Leaf Guard for Knockout. Richard scoops and says it was luck.

This really messed up the Top Four. Until another of the top lost, and then I was pushed into fifth by opponent's win of 4%. I was pushed out by Dakota, who went on to Beast through Steven Silvestro and Richard to secure a second Victory Medal for the weekend. We get to the car and Dakota goes "Man, I'm glad I didn't play you."

Thanks!!

Thanks for the really nice comments. It was our first big tournament at WAP and I think it went rather well! I want to give PROPS AND SLOPS...
PROPS: Go to the Curry's for making this happen. To you and your sweet girlfriend for being the wonderful people that you are! To everyone the Curry's convoyed down with them and for running a really fun event! To OMAR who is one of my most favorite people in this game! To Steven, Aaron,
everyone! I can't wait for the next tournaments we host! Oh and I can't forget Anthoy who really worked hard decorating and preparing the place!!
SLOPS: To the weak tablecloths, I promise I will get better ones next time. To the kid that came in to "watch" and 5 minutes later had a page of Level X's in his hand! I won't and don't tolerate liars, theives and cheaters!

ps. I'm horrible at this game...really!:redface:

Last edited:
Back