Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Deck Impact of the Pending November 8th Game Rule Changes

TuxedoBlack

With the pending game rule changes just a week away, I've started altering my 4 decks accordingly. Specifically, I'm removing the Pokémon Catchers for others cards such as Poké search, card draw Supporters, Escape Rope, etc.

As I continue to re-examine how these rule changes will impact my decks and game strategies, I've had some new insights. For example, since the use of Pokémon Catcher will be based upon the successful outcome of a coin flip, I strongly suspect most players will not run Pokémon Catcher or just 1-2. So, should I now run Mr. Mime as a tech in my decks as a counter to the splash damage of such popular Poké like Darkrai EX, Kyurem (PF), Landorus EX, etc.? As of November 8th, there seems to be a much higher chance that Mr. Mime can survive longer as a bench warmer, whereas before it was a typical Catcher-1HKO target.

Secondly, my current and only stage 2 deck (and I will be building another 1-2 soon) becomes a bit more viable since the game's T1 player can't attack. For those players running stage 2 decks, next week's pending game rule changes will be quite helpful.

Lastly, with the expected greatly diminished use of Pokémon Catcher, match games may take more time. Will this increase the popularity of certain "style type" decks (e.g., 1-energy attackers that can be "tanked") and/or techs like Mr. Mime, Ninetales (DrX), Max Potion, etc.?

How will these games changes impact your decks, if any? Thoughts?

At this point, based on very little data, I am speculating that we will "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss."

Of the decks that are already competitive, expect shuffling. The contents of the decks will change but not drastically. The relative competitiveness of each deck will likewise change but not drastically. One or two decks might get significantly better, one or two significantly worse. A few decks that are not currently competitive (due to the soon-to-be-changed rules) might finally stack up, and I do expect a few that are on the periphery to become more mainstream.

We've had a variety of first turn rules over the year and in the end... the format adjusts. I believe the already prominent Stage 2 decks will get a boost, possibly putting them up and over some of the non-Evolution decks. I believe the fast, Basic oriented (or Basic only decks) will remain strong, though perhaps not "as strong"; while they can no longer easily disrupt a more complicated set-up or take a fast, first turn Prize... they lost nothing else.

I believe players will learn to deal with Pokémon Catcher and its erratum, though how well remains to be seen. After all, if you just need to Bench an Active and/or force-up anything from the Bench, Warp Point has you covered (especially if your deck already had some assistance or alternative to retreating). Some decks will just deal with the coin flips; the first turn rule is much more significant in the long run. All we've done is made it so that now you need more luck to do what we did before. Some decks (new or old) might tap more complicated alternatives to Pokémon Catcher and in doing so prosper.

Mr Mime & Spiritomb & probably 1 Exeggcute will be played in nearly every deck.

Garbodor is going to be huge, Dusknoir will go up in price.
Escape rope is a situational card, I can't see needing to play more than 2 to get it done effectively.

Genesect & Ninetales will be teched into a lot of decks as well. Seeing as they are the only means of truly switching your opponents active to something of your choice.
Which makes Garbodor even more of a heavy play card.

The game is fluctuating like crazy. With the upcoming new mechanic being the mega-evolutions I can forsee quite a few cards becoming playable.
I have always enjoyed the formats where there can be a plethora of decks that are playable.

Mr Mime & Spiritomb & probably 1 Exeggcute will be played in nearly every deck.

I "get" all three of those being played, but not all three in most decks. Exeggute, for example, is one of the few donkable openings; remember Hypnotoxic Laser/Virbank City Gym can still take it out. Even if that isn't a common play, is it really worth it if you don't have a discard heavy deck? Now if you are stating all decks will be discard heavy henceforth, it begins to make sense.

Mr. Mime will depend upon snipe/spread becoming bigger. If it does, worth the space. If not, even though it no longer is guaranteed thwarted by a Pokémon Catcher followed by a single good hit it probably is reserved for decks that will depend on it (because of extreme vulnerability to spread/snipe). Spiritomb seems over-hyped, but I see it as a good card but not a "great" card. If it turns out games are constantly being one via Ace Spec, I stand corrected. Otherwise it has a very "61st card" feel to me; I want to block my opponent's Ace Spec, blocking that one card and possibly my own for an 80 HP Basic Pokémon that Garbotoxin will shut off?

Garbodor is going to be huge, Dusknoir will go up in price.

Wasn't Garbodor already heavily played? Dusknoir is helped by the rule changes, but only so much. Maybe I am selling it way short and it will be the new BDIF. Still, it has a terrible attack and you can't really use its Ability early to combat being shut down (like you can try to with Blastoise and Deluge). If you run it heavily, you only need one for unlimited access to the Ability, so that is a lot of wasted space. If you run it minimally... that actually sounds like the play but that won't drive the prices up that much, will it?

Escape rope is a situational card, I can't see needing to play more than 2 to get it done effectively.
If it is like Warp Point, decks will play however many they need. A lot of this will depend upon what becomes the norm; if any disruption of the Active becomes an issue, expect it to see heavy play. It does after all help out with changing out your own Active as well. If it really is only being used as a Pokémon Catcher substitute, then two is probably all that is worth it as players learn to keep a meat shield they can promote to Active from their Bench.

Genesect & Ninetales will be teched into a lot of decks as well. Seeing as they are the only means of truly switching your opponents active to something of your choice.
Which makes Garbodor even more of a heavy play card.

Not really good tech cards, though you probably aren't using tech how I was taught to use it; a single card added to the deck (some are more generous and allow two of the same card, but I resist this as that is half of the maximum) to combat a specific match-up. Outside of a few decks (and for the record, an Evolution line is thought of as a single "thing", so yeah you can tech a 1-1 line in) that just won't be reliable enough to offset the space and extra deck clutter. I mean, Genesect EX needs Plasma Energy to use Red Signal.

I can see some metagaming adding in a 2-2 Ninetales line. Garbodor is going to come out roughly even, I think, because some decks will just trade in Pokémon Catcher slots for extra Tool Scrapper (and still have one, two, or three slots left after that).

The game is fluctuating like crazy. With the upcoming new mechanic being the mega-evolutions I can forsee quite a few cards becoming playable.

Definitely possible. Of course it is also possible they'll essentially be the "new" LEGEND cards, with almost all of them being too weak for serious competitive play and ultimately making little impact on the game.

I have always enjoyed the formats where there can be a plethora of decks that are playable.

As do I, but it is also relative; it still seems like only the best of the best are worth serious consideration.

As far as meta game goes and competitive play. I don't see any valid arguments you have made to any of my points.
Every card I listed will be played in a majority of decks.

Virizion/Genesect/Mewtwo will run rampant. The #1 Counter to Gbooster is Spiritomb.
An you can't damage Spiritomb from the active if Mr Mime is on the bench, it will be even harder to active them both now to.
Not to mention going 2nd and starting Spiritomb is a very good play as well because of his attack. I don't see why anybody wouldn't especially if you get him turn 1 or 2.
Ace specs can turn very tight games around quickly, scramble switch, gbooster, computer search, dowsing machine, gold potion.

Landorus, Darkrai, Genesect, Kyurem will still all be played. It would be a mistake in deck building to ever NOT considering having at least 1 Mr Mime in your deck.
Especially after the rule change, and because of this exact reason, damaging the active and moving damage counters to a benched Mime will be more prevalent.
Dusknoir will see a lot more play, I can think of 4 decks off the top of my head that will run Dusknoir and have potential to do well in the competitive scene.

Genesect will easily be able to take the place of 4 catcher's in ANY energy accelerated deck.
Emboar and Blastoise can surely afford the space to run 1 Genesect an 2-3 plasma energy while they cycle through their energy acceleration with their abilities.
I don't see any problems there.

Virizion/Genesect/Mewtwo will run rampant. The #1 Counter to Gbooster is Spiritomb.
An you can't damage Spiritomb from the active if Mr Mime is on the bench, it will be even harder to active them both now to.

Red Signal exists. If you run both Mr. Mime and Spiritomb, you can't utilize a "seven Prizes" strategy. That also means it is well worth using one Genesect EX to take care of things; if you aren't attacking with G Booster you aren't discarding Energy. That means you can be setting up your next attacker. The opposing deck, which dedicated deck space to running Mr. Mime and Spiritomb and resources to getting them into play, now has only three Bench slots to work with.

G Booster is an important part of VirGen but is the deck really helpless without it? Megalo Cannon seems like a solid attack. G Booster, if it is so vital, creates problems when it is discarded. Sure you can use Shadow Triad or perhaps some other trick to get it back, but that costs resources. So I am just saying, if blocking G Booster, which requires running a Bench-sitter that serves little other purpose, is so great, why isn't Tool Scrapper and just using your normal tactics of this format (OHKO everything) just as effective?

Not to mention going 2nd and starting Spiritomb is a very good play as well because of his attack. I don't see why anybody wouldn't especially if you get him turn 1 or 2.
Ace specs can turn very tight games around quickly, scramble switch, gbooster, computer search, dowsing machine, gold potion.

Spiritomb will need an Energy to attack; in some decks that will be a significant constraint. You have to attack to attack... should be obvious, but if I am not attacking for damage, I am not attacking for damage. You have to have failed to set up in order for a set-up attack to be useful. For a slower deck, okay this is more likely... but now you have to remember that Spiritomb isn't a source of guaranteed, good draw. Not everyone owns Tropical Beach, and not everyone who does own enough copies will run it or even use it first turn when they do run it.

Sometimes, your "very good play" will be... shuffling a five card hand into your deck in order to draw zero cards. Or fewer cards than you had before. Or to shuffle away something you really wanted to keep in hand. Obviously you don't use Hexed Mirror then... but your comments read like there would never be such a circumstance. As for Ace Specs, yes they can be great plays... but as most decks can only use one of them, most decks don't rely on them. You're sinking a decent amount into stopping one card, even if that one card is a good, useful card.

Landorus, Darkrai, Genesect, Kyurem will still all be played. It would be a mistake in deck building to ever NOT considering having at least 1 Mr Mime in your deck.

What if you have other options for dealing with such cards? What if your deck isn't especially vulnerable to Bench damage? What if you need the space (in the deck and/or on the Bench) for something else? You get a 60 card deck, and you get six Pokémon for your side of the field; there are a lot of good cards that have to be cut from a deck.

Especially after the rule change, and because of this exact reason, damaging the active and moving damage counters to a benched Mime will be more prevalent.
Dusknoir will see a lot more play, I can think of 4 decks off the top of my head that will run Dusknoir and have potential to do well in the competitive scene.

Wait a minute; if Dusknoir is big, Mr. Mime becomes less important as it will be a dead card that match, unless you want to give up an even easier Prize. As for the rest... I am not God, rileysill32, but neither are you. A lot of decks have the "potential" to do well in the competitive seen, but either never do or only for a short time. Dusknoir is still Darkness Weak and wouldn't you know it, one of the decks that can still risk Pokémon Catcher would be Sableye/Darkrai EX. One of the decks that can risk a Genesect EX on the Bench to use Red Signal would be Team Plasma decks, which either already play or can work in Absol (Plasma). Garbodor still shuts Abilities down, so that is another potentially problematic match-up. It isn't a "sure thing" even when it is possible.

Genesect will easily be able to take the place of 4 catcher's in ANY energy accelerated deck.
Emboar and Blastoise can surely afford the space to run 1 Genesect an 2-3 plasma energy while they cycle through their energy acceleration with their abilities.
I don't see any problems there.

That's because you're covering your eyes. It isn't just a matter of space, but of what is most efficient. Deluge decks were already running light on Pokémon Catcher. Those decks don't have room to include other support either; you've got to get Genesect EX and Plasma Energy into hand before you can play them. Garbodor doesn't care if you run Genesect EX becauase Garbotoxin still shuts of Red Signal.

TL;DR: I don't have the hard data in front of me. I am still working off of speculation. What I do try and do is explain myself as clearly as I can. Even if you get stuck with a "wall of text", if I am vague about something it probably means I accidentally deleted some words. I have presented my arguments and my reasoning behind them. Feel free to disagree. Just know that when you post to contradictory arguments and then fail to marry them into greater whole, I'll call you on it.

"Either/or" is find, as is "and also", but they need to be clearly distinguished so I can tell when which is being used because sometimes the point is "However you approach it, there is a problem", when other times it is "If 'this' is a problem, how can 'that' be a problem when 'this' prevents 'that'?"

Two thoughts.

1. Gothitelle Accelgor should be back with a vengeance. Most of my wins against that deck were from Mewtwo donks, something that's going to be impossible now.

2. Chandelure EX. While most of the new, non reprint, cards look pretty lame, this one stands out. Why? It can snipe around Mr Mime, something that I predict will be in a lot of decks to protect the bench warmers.

Two thoughts.

1. Gothitelle Accelgor should be back with a vengeance. Most of my wins against that deck were from Mewtwo donks, something that's going to be impossible now.

2. Chandelure EX. While most of the new, non reprint, cards look pretty lame, this one stands out. Why? It can snipe around Mr Mime, something that I predict will be in a lot of decks to protect the bench warmers.

1. Accelgor pretty much auto losses to virizion genesect. You max out at 50 damage a turn and cannot paralyze or poison their pokemon when they can do significantly more and have built in catchers with genesect ruining item lock.

2. Chande is dark weak. Darkrai will still see significant play. Won't be a major play. Maybe as a tech play, but still I can't see people dedicating the space and the psychic energy to get this to happen.

*slaps forhead*

I forgot about Virizion EX. As you can probably tell, I haven't play the game in a few months.

It seems like EXes and big basics will still dominate, but lock decks and other stage 2 decks are thrown a bone since they don't have first turn donks to worry about.

*slaps forhead*

I forgot about Virizion EX. As you can probably tell, I haven't play the game in a few months.

It seems like EXes and big basics will still dominate, but lock decks and other stage 2 decks are thrown a bone since they don't have first turn donks to worry about.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Deck lists will change, but the changes only make or break a few decks; the rest just adapt and maybe have their relative standings shuffled around. Setting up an Evolution is easier... but we had Evolution decks before and now those may pull off a mean Juggernaut impression. The vast majority of cards? Still only worth it for "fun" decks or collecting (if there).

Back