Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Deck Strategy: Keeping it simple...

TuxedoBlack

This past weekend, I competed in the MI State Championship tournament where we had 120+ Masters playing. Lots of top-notch players (even some from Canada) were competing. As expected, there were a number of Blastoise, Darkrai variants, FairyBox, PlasmaBox, RayBoar (with and without Delphox), VirGen, and Yveltal variants decks being played.

It boiled down to a player running Blastoise versus my Poké pal and another Poké Dad, PokéIrv who ran Darkrai-Yveltal WITHOUT Garbodor, in the finals. Fortunately, my friend won the tournament, and I was more than a bit amazed, because that was PokeIrv's 4th victory against Blastoise deck players - which I thought would have better game winning odds vs. Darkrai-Yveltal. So, I had to ask him what was his "secret" to beating players that had presumably better game-winning chances, IMHO;, and his response was interestingly enough "not to 'over-think' his deck and keep it simple." And after examining his deck, I found that his deck did indeed model his philosophy. Wise words for all competitive players.

Big props to PokeIrv for his outstanding accomplishment!

Last edited:
Thank you for this TuxedoBlack (it's also great to see your name pop up)

Please PM me and tell me where all of the PokeDads hang out nowadays (online) - RA

Back