Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Diamond and Pearl Prereleases - Washington - May 12, 13, & 19

pokeMATHter

That's right - Washington is going to be invaded by the new Pokemon too!

Exciting Level X Pokemon!
New style of game play!
More cards per pack!
A cool Promotional Item!
A fun event for family and friends!

Cost: $25.00 - Yes the entry fee is increasing for the first time since Sandstorm!

Dates:
Saturday May 12 - The Game Matrix - Lakewood
8610 S Tacoma Way
Lakewood , Washington 98499
Store Phone: 253 583 9708
Organizer Name: Terry Kamm
Organizer Phone: 253 874 2261
Registration Time: 11:00 AM
Start Time: 12:15 AM

Sunday May 13 - Cardhaus Games - Lynnwood WA
2027 196th Street SW
Lynnwood, WA 98036
Store Phone: (425) 712-1206
Organizer Name: David Nelson
Organizer Phone: (253) 833-5854
Registration starts at 10 AM - Tournament starts at 11 AM
MOTHER'S DAY SPECIAL: All Mom's who play get $5 off admission!

Saturday May 19 - Jeanie's Sportscards - Bremerton
2901 Perry Ave Mall Suite No. 7
Bremerton ,Washington 98310
Store Phone: 360-479-5050
Registration Time: 10:00 AM
Start Time: 11:15 AM

Saturday May 19 - Best Bett Cards and Comics - Kennewick
3180 W. Clearwater
Kennewick, WA 99336
Store Phone: (509) 736-3594
Organizer Name: David Nelson
Organizer Phone (253) 205-6541
Start Time: 10:30 AM

The Main Tournament: All players will receive 6 booster packs from which they will build a 40 card deck. Basic energy will be provided. At the end all players will receive an additional two packs, a promo card and a special promotional item that is totally cool! The main tournament will last between 5 and 6 hours.

The Theme Deck Challenge: Designed for new players. Players will receive thier choice of one of the three preconstructed decks. The player will then be able to play any other person in the Theme Deck Challenge. Players in the Theme Deck Challenge will receive 4 booster packs, the promo card and that mysterious promotional item.

Side Events Yes, we will have them (but may vary by venue!) The usual Booster Draft or Theme Deck Battle or whatever you want! Booster Drafts will cost $20 to draft from 6 packs. Theme Deck Battles also cost $20 for a theme deck 2 packs from which you build a 40 card deck. Prizes from Diamond and Pearl will be awarded for top players in all three age groups.

We look forward to seeing you at one of these events, or all 4!

Last edited:
Bring them on!!

Don't everyone get to attatched to the decks you are using in Regionals. They will be all obsolete once this set comes out. FIREMONKEY FTW!!! (And not the Delta one either)

This should be an interesting Pre-Release to say the least...and the price increase should have been expected as soon as they announced the booster pack and theme deck prices were being increased. I figure we'll get used to this after a while.

David, since Oregon does this kind of promotion, "Bring a new player and get a discount," I was just curious if this will occur at the Washington State Diamond and Pearl Prereleases, especially for The Game Matrix. Thank you for your time and keep up the good work as a TO, and to all of the other Washington State TOs.

Here is my customary inquiry about judging. No, I really don't care about judge support (no, seriously, I don't, I have no idea why terry said no, even though I said I'd work for free), I'd just rather judge these tournies.

In case you're wondering why I'm posting so late, I'm finishing an assignment and wanted to check some posts before I feel asleep. Cheers.

Last edited:
Here is my customary inquiry about judging. No, I really don't care about judge support (no, seriously, I don't, I have no idea why terry said no, even though I said I'd work for free), I'd just rather judge these tournies.

In case you're wondering why I'm posting so late, I'm finishing an assignment and wanted to check some posts before I feel asleep. Cheers.

So would I honestly. I don't personally like playing any sealed tournaments. Not my cup of tea if you catch my drift. I'd rather judge a sealed tournament than play in it. Although I don't mind the occasional theme deck challenge just to help with numbers. But alas, I never seem to get picked for judging a prerelease -.-

I'd like to judge also. But it's no prob if the answer in the end is no. I still might come by. Although I won't be playing the main tourny. Only way I'll play is if Terry wants me to play theme deck challenge for his numbers again. I can't afford 25 bucks. Plus there's the reason I've already stated. Sealed isn't my cup of tea.

Wow, I hope I can make it to all 4. Kennewick and Lakewood on the same day.....Looks like I will be driving. Chris is way to slow to keep up with that pace...

Here are the Details for Lakewood and Bremerton DP Pre Releases...

Lakewood Wash Diamond Pearl Pre Release

The Game Matrix
8610 S Tacoma Way
Lakewood , Washington 98499
Store Phone: 253 583 9708
May 12, 2007
Start Time: 12:15 AM
Registration Time: 11:00 AM
Admission: $25 (NOTE – There is a price increase due to an increase in Booster prices)

Bremerton Wash Diamond Pearl Pre Release

Jeannes's Trading Cards
2901 Perry Ave Mall Suite No. 7
Bremerton ,Washington 98310
Store Phone: 360-479-5050
May 19,2007
Start Time: 11:15 AM
Admission: $25 (NOTE – There is a price increase due to an increase in Booster prices)

Over 120 cards, including more than 50 brand-new Pokémon
New gameplay rules for Weakness, Resistance and much more
Exciting LV.X Pokémon that make Pokémon more powerful
New attacks that will lead to new strategies
A new look that incorporates Pokédex information for each Pokémon
Each booster pack now contains 10 game cards
Three 60-card theme decks available - Terra Firma, Inferno Zone, and Royal Frost
A Special "Super Secret" Promotional Item that is reported to be the BEST EVER!!!

Tournament Structure
Three Age Divisions:
>> Juniors (born in 1996 or later)
>> Seniors (born in 1992, 1993, 1994, or 1995)
>> Masters (born in 1991 or earlier)

Format – Sealed Deck (all cards provided) Age Modified Swiss (all players play in every round) Players build a 40 card deck using the 6 packs. Players play in a number of rounds determined by total attendance.

Prizes Prizes Prizes
Exclusive Promo (while supplies last)
All Players get 2 additional Diamond and Pearl boosters and a Special Diamond and Pearl promotional item when they complete the tournament!!!

THEME DECK CHALLENGE: If you are just learning to play Pokémon, you might be interested in a more casual format. Instead of the main Prerelease tournament, you can participate in a theme deck challenge, which will be a non-sanctioned tournament. You will be given a brand new Diamond and Pearl theme deck to battle with. Everyone wins an additional 4 Diamond and Pearl boosters and a Special Diamond and Pearl promotional item if they complete the tournament. Parents can help their younger children, or children can help their parents learn the game. Learn to play the game, get the new cards and have a lot of FUN in the process. You can’t lose! Quantities of Theme Decks are limited, so priority will be given to beginners.
Entry fee - $25.00 (NOTE – There is a price increase due to an increase in Booster prices)

SIDE EVENT:

BOOSTER DRAFT Following the main tournament we will run side events using the new Diamond and Pearl boosters. Players will receive 6 packs to build a 40 card deck. Players will play in a swiss style tournament. All players play in every round. Additional Diamond Pearl booster packs for the top winners. Entry fee - $20.00 (NOTE – There is a price increase due to an increase in Booster prices)

Random Door Prizes will be given away at Lakewood and Bremerton Pre Releases....

wait, we had ANOTHER increase in booster prices? They didn't even increase the number of cards per pack.

wait, we had ANOTHER increase in booster prices? They didn't even increase the number of cards per pack.

My understanding is yes, the price of boosters is increasing and the number of cards in a pack is going from 9 to 10.

Oh, and I updated for Kennewick!

RESCHEDULE NOTICE!!!!!!

Due to a conflict in Kennewick, I've had to reschedule the Lynnwood prerelease. You will note that Lynnwood is on Mother's Day. BUT what better way to treat your mother to something special like a Pokemon Tournament! Bring her along! I'll give all Mom's who play $5.00 off admission. Or send her over to Alderwood Mall for some "ME" time and a chance to go shopping.

Any hope for Washington top 8 masters

(an open letter to, and for, the Washington Pokemon community)

It was my fear when the Pokemon Organized Play announced that only top 8 masters in N. America would get invites to Worlds 2007, that Washington Master players would get shut out of the competiton.
It is not because we do not have good enough players to partipate in worlds, but the opposite, We have too many good players. And because we have so many top players we beat each other so much that it is next to impossible for anyone here to dominate enough here in Masters to earn a top 8 ranking.

Because the game is so competitve here (no One or two people have been able to dominate every major tournement) we eat our own ( POP Score wise) and no one seems to be able to get to worlds based on Ranking alone. I fear that the only way a Washington Master player will be able to play in Worlds is to either do well enough at Nationals or Grind in at the LCQ.

Do not misunderstand me I am not hopeing or wishing for this to happen. It is my scincerest desire that
some of our derserving Washington Master players will get the chance to compete at worlds. But it is my fear that the top 8 can only be attained if you are a top player in a weak area of Pokemon, where the same few people can make the top cut of each and every event. Because some strong players live in an area that is less competitive then the rest of the country they will have a more easy time maintaining an utra high POP score and more easily recieve a worlds invite. But in Washington and Oregon the game is too competitve for that to happen. There are too many verry strong players for any one or 2 players to be able to dominate the play. Look we had a different top 2 players in Washington States, Oregon States and Regionals. That is why our top scores are low when compared to other areas where they likely had the same 2 or 3 players at the top of each major tournement.

Top 8 masters score is 1942. What are your thoughts of the ability of a Washington Player to overtake that
through the Battle Road series and its reduced point (K) value compared to States and Regionals?

Rank Name Rating Age Div State Country
1 Eric Craig 2050.39 MA FL US
2 Jordan Hill 1996.72 MA NC US
3 kyle sabelhaus 1985.08 MA FL US
4 Alex Brosseau 1978.60 MA IL US
5 Frankie Durso 1962.13 MA NY US
6 Gino Rotondo 1953.59 MA RI US
7 Jaime Geurero 1946.70 MA CA US
8 aldo castillo 1942.00 MA DF MX
9 John Kettler 1934.19 MA TX US
10 Frank Diaz 1931.91 MA NJ US

Rank Name Rating Age Div State Country