Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Did I make the right choices?

Bandit

Hey! I was wondering if you experts could tell me if I picked the right booster packs to order from pokeorder.com to start my POP career. Here is what I bought;

Pokemon EX Crystal Guardians- 4

Diamond and Pearl- 5

Great Encounters- 5

Majestic Dawn- 6

Eternal Time Deck- 1

Pokemon 2-Player starter kit w/booster pack (Lucario+Manaphy)- 1

Please tell me if I picked the right packs!!!

I guess that depends on what you are looking to do, collect and play or just play. As far as playing goes. I think the only bad choice was the Crystal Guardian packs, as tthey will no longer be allowed in organized play after Sept 1. And as far as the theme deck goes, I am not sure what set that is from, but if its from one of the DP sets, it is a good building block when starting new. Good luck and welcome to Pokemon. Its an addiction.:thumb:

No more Crystal Guardians? CRAP! They have such good cards!

The Eternal Time Deck is from D&P

Last edited:
GE and MD packs are good buys. Everything else...meh.

Hands down the best theme deck is the Secret Wonders one with Magmortar (holo!).

SW/GE/MD are the best ATM.

CG-PK are being rotated at the end of August, so forgo buying anything from that era. DP and MT are pretty much passed over as well, as GG and other popular decks pull their cards from more recent sets. (with the exception of Dusknoir DP)

Sandslash7 said it the best, SW/GE/MD are the best sets to buy right now. The newest Pokemon set is always one of the best choices to buy just because it's brand new and the cards still have some trading value to them if you don't get what you want. SW theme decks are decent, since they come with Roseanne's Research (electric one) or Magmortar (fire one).

Theme decks in general aren't the best route for starting out though. For the $12 you spend on it, you could have gotten singles of a bunch of decent cards.

Good luck in your future with POP!

Thanks everyone! I've played before, but after many unlucky events, I quit. Now I decided I want back in. I;m visting my first league on Wednsday(just to observe) and will be playing in the league a week from that. Just in time for Sunyshore!!!

Buy a bunch of the new set, Legends Awakened, coming out August 20th. If you have the funds, I'd even suggest so far as to buy a box of it. It is not necessarily the trainers in it that make the difference, but it is the fact that there will be a ton of good Pokemon in that set that will possibly define the metagame all next season.

Buy a bunch of the new set, Legends Awakened, coming out August 20th. If you have the funds, I'd even suggest so far as to buy a box of it. It is not necessarily the trainers in it that make the difference, but it is the fact that there will be a ton of good Pokemon in that set that will possibly define the metagame all next season.

Listen to G-Dog. LA is going to be the best set since many of the next archetypes will be released in it. Get a box or wait until it has been out a while to buy the specific cards you need. You should really focus on buying singles if you want to get the most bang for your buck (if you are not planning on trading or collecting). Go buy 4 Phione (MD), 4 Roseanne's Research (SW), 4 Call Energy (MD), 4 Bebe's Search (DP and SW), 2 Claydol (GE), 2 Baltoy(GE), 4 rare Candy, and 2 Night Maintenance and you should have the basic needs for any deck you plan to make. A Chatot or two (MD) would be a good buy as well. I would never buy a theme deck unless I needed a very specific card that came in that deck.

Last edited:
I wanted Dialga plus all of those steel energies will come in handy later on. Too bad they don't sell energy packs.
I might have sufficent funs to buy a bunch of LA, but the boxes are going to be super-expensive. So I'll forget about that move.

Yeah, the theme decks are a decent way to get the new basic dark and metal energy. I'm surprised POP/PUI hasn't found a good way to distribute them. Even Pre-Releases don't have any, and it has been 5 sets since they came out.

I wanted Dialga plus all of those steel energies will come in handy later on. Too bad they don't sell energy packs.
I might have sufficent funs to buy a bunch of LA, but the boxes are going to be super-expensive. So I'll forget about that move.

If you are worried about funds stay away from pokeorder. They are a huge rip off if you buy single cards and boxes. Boxes can be found on the internet for $70-$80 as opposed to pokeorder's $115 boxes. Do yourself a favor and go with ebay.

The deck is good but you should have also bought the darkrai deck and buy a darkrai level x tin it is a good card. the crystal guardians should have been held back and you should have waited for LA. I have been in pokemon for 2 years if not longer. My name is RareHunta if need help send me a private message and I can help out

Thanks for the tip on boxes. I would NEVER buy single cards from pokeorder, just their booster packs and starter decks.

I prefer to get legends from packs, they're always better and worth more :wink:

That's true, but it's not a guaranteed thing. You could buy a box of GE and not pull a Darkrai lv.X, or you could buy a Darkrai lv.X tin and get one in it.

True but you could get one pack of GE and pull Darkrai Lvl X. You just never know :wink:
That's half the fun!

Back