Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dilemma with Gardy, which way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMan

As some know Ive been play gardy religiously just due to the fact its tier 1 and is mainly the only deck I can make =P but anyways the deck is insanly powerful and strong and can take on ANY contender. Im not here to say its not the new feral or anything its obviously NOT, yet it IS one of the best decks to be playing. Now Ive noticed everyone has thier own take on it. Some have delcatty, some have rare candy, some even splash another color. Some of these choices may be wrong some may be right only testing can tell BUT I have come to a dilemma but my gardy decks. two versions very different yet very alike. Ill post them now and explain the problem afterword.

Speedy Gardy

3 Gardy
1 Gardy EX
3 Kirlira
4 Ralts
3 Wynaut
2 Dunsparce
2 Wobbufet

4 Oaks research
4 Rare candy
2 Cat
2 Birch
4 Pokenav
3 Oran Berry
3 Oracle
1 nurse
1 TV

15 Psychic
3 boost

Now this version sacrifices a lot of things for speed and consistancy. Yet while lacking in late game power it is substantially stronger in the early game.

Tough Buff Gardy

16 Psychic
1 Warp
2 Boost

4 Copycat
3 Oaks Research
2 Elms training method
4 Potion
2 Nurse
3 Oracle
1 TV
1 Fisherman

2 Skitty
2 Delcatty
2 Wobbuffet (SS)
3 Wynaut
4 Ralts (SS)
4 Kirlia (1 Life Drain 1 Link Blast 2 Super Psy)
4 Gardevoir (2 R/S 2 EX)

Ok this is a little slower granted but can survive the late game like no other. This has a problem with the early game like when the opponent has a turn 2 gardy ex breathing down your back and your just evolving into kirlia =/

As you can tell both decks are insanely good, yet both are divided. I want to hear all YOUR opinions on which YOU think is the better decision for this deck.
Delcatty or no?
Rare candy 4,3,2,0?
How good is nurse in reality?
In the current envirorment which form is better? speedy, slow but powerful, or some hybrid of the two

Now everyone whos tested this deck reply! =D anyways thanks for the comments in advance

~Monkey

Last edited:
hmmm thanks for the input jeremy, I think you just might be right about 4 boost its pretty broken vs blaziken eggs ive noticed and other matchups too.

I hate to resurrect old topics but this one wasn't replied to enough for the quality of the deck that was posted. ;)

MonkeyMan said:
Delcatty or no?
Rare candy 4,3,2,0?
How good is nurse in reality?
In the current envirorment which form is better? speedy, slow but powerful, or some hybrid of the two

1) No, Delcatty would not work as well as it may seem. I would stick with Wynaugt/Wubbuffet line. The first 2-3 turns you can search for every single evolution and basic when needed then get Wubbuffet out and attack with him until you have a slew of energies all about the field. Also Wynaught is good late game! bench one, use Psy Shadow twice on it then "evolve" into Wubbuffet. That way you don't have to waste important Oran/Potion on it.

2) 2 Kirlia and 2 Rare Candies make for both speed and Power. With both you can somewhat counter what your opponent is doing. If he has Omastar then go with Kirlias. If he is going Ampharos EX then go with Rare Candy. Also with Rare candies you can have a turn 2 Gardy EX. And with Kirlias you can search for them with Wynaught. Both are good.

3) Nurse is not that good in this deck at all. Discard energies means less gardy power, and if you stock up on smaller healing then its no problem.

4) As I started to explain in answer 2, a combo of both is good. Why do you think the main character in a fighting game is always a balance of power and speed. ;)

As for the decks, I would mix them together. But one thing I noticed is that you have Oracle and Wynaught in the first deck. Wouldn't they contradict each other? Sure its only in the beginning of the game but it still would be a hindrance.

Great Decks!

heh heh, i love this deck, it's my baby. personally i think speed will always win if played correctly. just as the claymore was no match for the rapier in medival times, so is still the concept of speed over power. now granted, that's if speed does it's job, meaning you HAVE to have a gardi up turn 2 no if's and's or but's about it. you have to always keep your opponent on his toes from the begining, which means you have to beable to manipulate things. anyway, i'll get back to this after i answer your questions here.

Delcatty or no? a lot of peeps will say no since it discards energy (which you obviously need) but my take on it is if you have enough energy that you have extra or can get the discarded energy back, then delcatty is a must. if you don't have that then kitty will prolly just hurt you. for you with 18+ energy (which i think is even a bit overkill) delcatty should do just fine, plus you even have TV to get the energy back.

Rare candy 4,3,2,0? 3, rare candys are a must. they're just too good, expessially with anything that uses 1 energy to attack, it makes the deck so much faster. even in late game you can come out of no where with a gardi by using rare candy. play 3 and then 1 kirlia. just for safe measure i always have at least 1 of the middle stages.

How good is nurse in reality? in this deck i think it's just a hinderence. you need energy on your pokes, you can't be taking it off them. 4 potions are a must in this deck since gardi's power does 20 to yourself. if you feel you need more than that then add in some moo moos to go with the potion, but potion comes before moo moo since you need something definate to counter gardi's power.

In the current envirorment which form is better? speedy, slow but powerful, or some hybrid of the two speed is better than slow and powerful, but the hybrid is better than both. speed is always the key, but it has to lead to something, so while it might not be as powerful as the slower stuff, it still has to have some power to it. gardi works pretty well with that already, it needs 1 to attack (speed) and it can build on that over time AND it builds off your opponet (power). that's the other thing that makes this deck good, it has the ability to improve itself as it goes, it doesn't have to just level off anywhere.

i like to focus on the regular gardi rather then the EX one, but i always like to have that power stashed away so go with the 3-1 on them. i really don't like the wynaut line, cause you put energy on it rather than your gardi pokes, so i would take it out, but everyone else seems to like it so use your judgement. the key i've found with decks is to always be either adding to or changing your hand, every turn. you can't let a turn go by where you don't draw at least 4 cards (1 for turn +3 for kitty/tv rep/juggler) or are refreshing your hand (oak/cat). so you need to play a ton of supporters, and yes you can't play them all at the same time but you'll always have one when you need it, and that's what will let you get everything out so quickly. if you're really bent on searching rather than just draw then either kitty/oracle or my favorite, linoone. i would replace wynaut lines with linoone ones, but that's just me. something else you might think about adding, is star piece. just 2 of them, but with gardi's power, you can get energy and evos all from the same power. it works really nicely and i think it's the best combo that's in a gardi deck. strength charm is another good card for this deck since everything is done with precise damage most of the time, charm gives you that extra you need. also, like Venusaur said, every gardi deck needs 4 boost, it's just too broken in this deck. anyway, i hope this all helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back