Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Discarding energy from Pokemon

Exitilus

Reading through the compendium rulings there seemed to be a contradiction:

Power Pinch (Crawdaunt - Dragon)

Q. Pinsir's "Power Pinch" attack says "flip two coins; for each heads, discard an Energy attached to the Defending Pokemon". If I flip only one heads, can I discard a Double Colorless Energy (DCE) from the Defending Pokemon?
A. Yes, you can. (Next Destinies FAQ; Feb 9, 2012 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Pinsir's "Power Pinch" attack says "flip two coins; for each heads, discard an Energy attached to the Defending Pokemon". If I flip two heads, can I discard two Double Colorless Energy (DCE) cards from the Defending Pokemon?
A. Yes, you can. (Next Destinies FAQ; Feb 9, 2012 TPCi Rules Team)

Twister (Rayquaza ex - Nintendo Promos; Pidgeotto - Call of Legends; Pidgeotto - Triumphant; Others)

Q. Pidgeotto's "Twister" attack says to discard an Energy attached to the Defending Pokemon for each heads flipped. Does that mean if I only flip one heads I cannot discard a Double Colorless Energy?
A. Actually, you can discard a DCE with a single heads. It's like paying a Retreat Cost with an Energy Card that has more energy than required to retreat. Total the number of flips, then discard Energy Cards one at a time until the condition has been met. So if you flip one heads you can discard a single Energy Card with one or more energy on it. But if you flip two heads you can either choose a card with one energy then another card with one or more energy, or you can choose a single card with two or more energy on it. (Nov 3, 2011 PUI Rules Team)

Both cards' texts state the same thing but it seems to indicate that flipping two heads with "Twister" would be satisfied by a basic energy and one DCE or by one DCE (because of its 2 energy) but not by 2 DCE while "Power Pinch" clearly states it could be 2 DCE. "Total the number of flips, then discard Energy Cards one at a time until the condition has been met." If we base it off of this it would contradict the ruling that Pinsir could discard 2 DCE since the condition of discarding 2 energy would be met with the first DCE.

Am I missing something? Please clarify.

Sometimes we are given rulings from Japan that are like this.
We don't create the rulings.

Back