Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Discussion of the Galactic's Pokemon

kristi

I think that they have BDIF potential, and it looks like a really fun deck to play. There is an obvious combo between Skunktank G and Toxicroak G, but is that all that should be played in a galactic deck? I personally think that all of the galactic pokemon are useful in today's format, even if some may be more helpful than others. Here is my synopsis of each Galactic Pokemon that just came out in Platinum:

Weavile G
It is an excellent starter for any Galactic deck, and can help out tremendously being able to do 100 damage to a Dusknoir. It is also a really great attacker against other pokemon with the potential to do up to 70 damage, but Dusknoir is just one of the first threats that came to mind for me. The free retreat can also be quite good.

Crobat G
Again we have a free retreat Galactic's basic with a decent attack believe it or not; being able to double poison your opponent is always helpful. The main reason that crobat helps out is because of his poke-power. When you play him from your hand, you can place 1 damage counter on any of your opponent's pokemon. It's like a searchable plus power! It also combo's quite nicely with Honchkrow G as I will explain later.

Diagla G/Dialga G Lv X
This is a must for any SP deck. Dialga G X's pokebody shuts off all other pokebody's of non-SP pokemon. This includes Mewtwo LV X witch would be an auto-loss for Galactic's decks without this card. It's attacks are quite decent, though I don't know how useful they would be in a state's match or something.

Palkia G/Palkia G Lv X
Palkia G has decent attacks as well, and A good deal of HP. The level X has a very good poke-power, being able to send your used Crobats or something to the lost zone- freeing up your bench space- while forcing your opponent to make a decision about what pokemon they would like to keep and which to dispose of. Despite all of this, I am unsure if Palkia makes the cut for a Galactic deck- there is just so mcuh that can assist the deck that it's crazy.

Honchkrow G
A very decent starter, being able to search out stadiums to fulfill the Skunktank/Toxikroak combo or poketurn/power spray/energy gain. It's attack is helpful for sniping pokemon on the bench. If you play a Crobat G down, put one damage counter on one of your opponent's pokemon, then honchkrow can hit it for 40 in that same turn.

Bronzong G
Bronzong is in hear for his power. Though all of your pokemon shouldn't need that much energy to attack with energy gain, if you would like to attack with one of the bigger hitters that need 3-4 energy, this guy helps to power them up. The main thing that I like about his power is that you can move ANY energy, not just basic energy. This includes rainbow/multi/call. If you play him in a Galactic deck though, I would only suggest one.

Houndoom G
Honestly, I can only see this being used as a tech against popular grass type decks (i.e. Torterra, Leafeon, Tangrowth). They will likely see a good deal of play what with the new +40 HP Shaymin Lv X out. It can be helpful for stopping powers as well, but usually poison will cover that anyway.

Gyrados G
I see this card as a very risky choice. It has high energy cost for its attacks and its first attack is good, but flippy. Its second attack takes way too much energy to do 100- in my opinion.

Skunktank G
This card is pretty dang good if you ask me. It's power can be used as often as you like if you have a stadium in play, and its attack can be usefull sometimes. It combos incredibly well with toxicroak g.

Toxicroak G
Toxicroak G is the main G pokemon. Comboing with Skunktank G, it can do 80 damage for 2 energy. It also isn't affected by anything other than damage, which is GREAT when playing against machamp because they don't KO you for 1 energy.

Now that I have gone over each of the cards, this thread is for a discussion about them. What is the best way to play a galactic deck? What techs are needed? Anything about the Galactic pokemon in general. Please discuss.

Galactic Decks are one of the top teir decks for this season.

Toxicroak is definatly the best attacker, and Skuntank and Dialga and top supporters. Really, I don't understand Bronzong. Houndoom and Purugly are pretty bad. Honchkrow is a must in Toxicroak/Skuntank decks, Weavile in the rest. Crobat is amazing in these decks. Palkia is pretty cool, but it doesn't have to be ran in SP decks.

They're definitely top tier. I wouldn't say that they are BDIF as of right now though. Considering that they only have one, maybe two attackers (Toxicroak G and maybe Weavile G) they shouldn't be too hard to counter. When the newer sets are out is when they are going to be all over the place.

Back