Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dissapointment opening packs

MadManWithaBox

I know this probably isn't very constructive, but does anyone feel really disappointed when you spend a bunch of money on cards, and get... nothing really? This week, I've spent 63 euro on 14 emerging powers packs, and another 30 euro on two tins. Apart from the ex's in the tins, I didn't really get anything. From the powers boosters I was kinda hoping for a catcher or a thundurus or something, not one thing. I dunno, mini rant I guess :p Ireland is very expensieve for cards.

When I was on vacation in Europe this March, when I bought... 5 booster packs, it was close to 30 Euro.
That is expensive!

I only pulled 1 Ace Spec and 2 holos.
But it is cool to own a few French cards.

But yes, buying that many packs and nothing! That sucks.

You can spend 10 000 euros on EP packs and you aren't gonna get anything great.
As for the tins, that's just the way it goes man. Your next tin could have 3 full arts or something, it's all random luck.
But yes I do know that feel :(

I'm WAY more disappointed when I spend $90 on a booster box and get nothing. I opened two Dragons Exalted boxes and got three regular EXs between them. Rayquaza in one, Giratina and Registeel in the other. No full arts, no shinies. Then in my Plasma Storm box, I did get two Ace Specs and four regular EX cards, but once again.... no full arts or shinies. Like, why am I even buying boxes if not even one FA is guaranteed? I could have let it slide if it only happened once but three times in six months just burned me so much.

@Frost - So you opened an entire DRX box and only got 1 EX....seems kinda fishy. I have never heard of anyone only getting 1 UR in a box. I understand that set had no Ace spec cards, but I pulled 4 in my first DRX box and 3 in my second, so yeah. Not saying that your situation was impossible, just seems highly improbable.

Everyone in the Pokemon community should already know that buying single packs is essentially gambling. You are not guaranteed anything, whereas buying a box your are at least guaranteed something (except for Frost :tongue:). I have bought 15+ boosters before and got no URs, just a few holos. Other times I have bought 6 boosters and pulled 3 EX's and an FA.

It is all just sheer dumb luck, no matter how you try to play it. Most people who are picky about spending money generally just buy complete sets. 9 times out of 10 that is going to be cheaper than the box-buying route.

Of course I know it's gambling. But law of averages, your gonna get lucky at least one time :p

True, those 6 boosters I was talking about I bought about 2 weeks ago. Bought some PS boosters, and got Black Kyurem EX, Moltres EX, Zapdos EX, and a Colress FA.

The only thing I was saying is that in order to have fun buying boosters, you can't really have any expectations for what you should pull.

Its horrible, buying a dragons exalted booster box, and getting only 1 FA ex (Terrakion), no other ultra rares or secret rares

I've stopped buying booster packs because I don't want to pay $4-$5 in store, and buying online is a waste of time because packs are usually weighed.

And it doesn't help that I have bad luck.

Well there's your problem! You could open all the Emerging Powers packs in the world and you would still get "nothing".

On a serious note though, I don't buy packs anymore. The way I see it I could buy an EX for $8 or I could get 2 packs and most likely get nothing interesting. I recently bought like 16 Plasma Storm packs and got one holo and a Colress FA. Could have been worse but not by much. I'll never buy new packs again (not at $4.19 per pack anyways).

I thought packs were cheaper in the US :p They're 5 euro most places which according to google is $6.50, but the place where we play league does them for 4.

This is why I take to Booster boxes (1 per set.) I make my money back by what I pull plus the side box I sell at league.

Also, booster packs at the comic store (loose packs) are $3 dollars, lower if bulk/know the guy. Not weighted (seeing them open new ones in front of me + people pulling stuff too) and cheap = much better buy.

Your main problem was spending tons of money on Emerging Powers. When your best card in the whole set is an uncommon, you know you're barking up the wrong tree.

Your main problem was spending tons of money on Emerging Powers. When your best card in the whole set is an uncommon, you know you're barking up the wrong tree.

That sounds like the right tree to me!
Most expensive card in the set is likely to appear three times in one box?
I'm all about that.

Even if said card is worth like $12?

If I pulled three cards worth $12, it would be worth more than my Plasma Storm box.

Sure, you lose some money. We already established that much. It's no big secret.

But I don't think that EP is the absolute worst set. Go bust a box of BW Base Set if you really want to be out some cash.

...no really. Go bust open a box of BW Base Set. I need the RHs.

I'm actually about to sell all my RHs from EP-PLS LOL
Sadly never wanted BW Base XD

But I see what you are saying ^_^

This is how I felt opening my Elite Trainer Box. The rarest thing I got was one holographic card: a Gallade. It was highly disappointing

Back