Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Do you find it harder to be gracious in victory or do you handle defeat easier?

jigglejuice

I will be the first to admit I make a far better winner than loser. Even though I learn something from every defeat I still have been known to take being beaten pretty bad. It makes that next victory all the sweeter though I suppose. I also know guys that I will try my hardest to beat just because they act so terribly smug when they win. I can understand annoying behaivior on both sides of the arguement I suppose. I think both bitterness in defeat and the gloating of victory both stem from pride. So do you find it harder to be a better sport when you win or when you lose?

For me it all depends on how the defeat went.

Pokemon side win/lose I am rarely mad unless I was cheated, and if I was cheated I wont know I was cheated until later on anyway.

I may get a little angry though if I drew the worst possible hand ever now, it wont display a true showing of skill on neither side either.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that, if you are human, you take winning better than losing. Of course, some deal with defeat much better than others, but they'd still rather win I'd bet.

As for me, I usually take defeat all right. I get frustrated but don't really express that so it doesn't really bother anyone other than me. I do admit though, I've had a few loses that really hurt that made me pretty upset.

Well honestly, if I was defeated and no skill was put into my opponent beating me, I get ticked off, I keep cool about it though and dont say anything.

But this problem has been more in yugioh than pokemon, it poses a problem in some video games online as well take example World of Warcraft which just like yugioh, I quit it.

When I get donked I am rather sour. Otherwise im fine. I feel like most people on the gym are like this no?

I'm generally fine either way, unless the loss is due to luck, and no skill. Then I might be a bit irritated for a while.

I would feel really sour when my losses was illegitimate. Like when my opponent stalled me out >_>

I enjoy walking away with a win and saying GG to my opponent, but when I play a game where I was virtually unable to do a thing, that's where I can get a little annoyed. One game against VileGar I didn't take a single prize and he just Poltergesited for 6 prizes. I was a little annoyed. However, there was another game against Gyarados where my only Lux X was prized but I still enjoyed the match because I still had a chance.

Jason said:
I would feel really sour when my losses was illegitimate. Like when my opponent stalled me out >_>

Winning on time is a completely legitimate way to win. Time limits are part of the rules of the game. An actual illegitimate loss would be losing because the head judge made a ruling mistake, (I've seen it happen).

You might not be happy when you lose on time, but every player knows the time limits to games. You make a deck selection based on the rules, and if you're concerned about losing on time, then make your deck choice accordingly.

If your opponent intentionally slow plays, you can call over a judge to watch your game. If he/she is actually slow playing, a judge will assign a penalty accordingly. Winning on time is as legitimate a way to win as decking your opponent out, drawing 6 prizes, or benching your opponent. Just because you're not happy with losing to time, it doesn't make your opponent's win any less legitimate.

Wining on time is not legitimate. It's not one of the three (or lost zone) win conditions.
Posted with Mobile style...

Wining on time is perfectly legitimate. You should never intentionally stall someone out, but if you think the clock will become a factor, you would be foolish to not change your strategy to ensure that you will win once time runs out.

When I lose, I congratulate my opponent and wish them luck, regardless of how the game went. I'm always happy to win, but it's never a big deal to lose. It's a children's card game.

When I loose I'm pretty happy. I usually make friends with all of my opponents and I learn loads of stuff from them too. So I'm good wheather I win, or lose.

When I lose, I congratulate my opponent and wish them luck, regardless of how the game went. I'm always happy to win, but it's never a big deal to lose. It's a children's card game.

Haha, you wouldn't know that by the way some people were acting at cities today. I unfortunately got myself into an 0-4 record and the attitude of my opponents got worse and worse as it went. By the time I faced a fellow 0-4 victim he was downright snarling. Sad how something meant for fun can turn into a case of chronic despression for some people. :l

At my last Cities, I lost to a good friend playing a deck powered by a Tropical Beach I lent him. He locked me flawlessly game one and I just gave him the match. It's the recurring tradition I have. I lend people cards and they do well, sometimes edging me out of events if we play each other. Honestly, its my fault for not having certain deck elements. (I might expand upon this in a tournament report.)

Only time I get annoyed when I lose is if I made a dumb play contributing to the loss, then I tend to smack myself over it. Otherwise losing to other people in itself is nothing to get angry about, it happens.

I won a cities yesterday, and i was literally 20 seconds away from losing it. My opponent would, every turn, without fail, look through both of our discard piles.
Now my opponent is a great guy and I don't want to single him out, but I was talking to him about his top 4 match, which was a hard matchup for his deck, and he said clearly that he took the maximum amount of time on his turn, and won on time.

So when I played him I tried to make sure he focused on the game and kept his moves to a minimum, and I had to speed my turns up to compensate.

He played 'within the rules', but if he won that would not have been legitimate in my opinion. How do you see that different?

I consider myself to be pretty gracious and humble in both defeat and victory. Of course, everyone has their own interpretations of what humble or arrogant looks like. Since I'm playing the game, having fun takes precedence over winning for me. Thus, I'm much more likely to enjoy a hard-fought loss than a blowout win.

You might notice in my tournament reports that I rarely post slops, even if the tournament went horribly. I tend to positivize anything.

Back