Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

DonChamp - moar basics!

Nintendan

I'm planning on building DonChamp, but I can't think of any good basics to include. I currently only have 7 (4 Phanpy, 3 Machop) and I can tell I'm going to give my opponent loads of cards to draw early.
I was thinking of 3/4 Cleffa but Phanpy is my preferred starter. If it's the best option out there, I'll go with it. I'm not really liking Smeargle as it's playability has gone a down with Juniper arriving. Any other ideas?

I'm planning on building DonChamp, but I can't think of any good basics to include. I currently only have 7 (4 Phanpy, 3 Machop) and I can tell I'm going to give my opponent loads of cards to draw early.
I was thinking of 3/4 Cleffa but Phanpy is my preferred starter. If it's the best option out there, I'll go with it. I'm not really liking Smeargle as it's playability has gone a down with Juniper arriving. Any other ideas?

Smeargle is not very threatened by Juniper. 3-4 Juniper are only played in speed-based decks, and usually you can tell if a deck goes for speed over power. 1 Smeargle might be considered, though I can not think of other basics to put in.

Mazu's right. What's also notable is that the 'Juniper threat' is predicated on the fact that you'll see nothing but Juniper, and thus are forced to use it. I've been testing with Smeargle and I've almost always seen an alternative to Juniper (usually Pokemon Collector). It's pretty rare to run across a lone Juniper, and while it does happen, as long as you play everything beforehand you won't be too affected by it anyhow (unless you have an amazing hand, upon which I question your decision to Portrait in the first place).

Depends on how badly you need it. If you run into 'Man, I wish I had Portrait right now', then you'll want to run thicker lines. But on a whole, I usually run 1-2 Smeargles, as if I really need Smeargles, I can just use Pokemon Collector to search for them.

That said, I think Cleffa is an amazing starter, as you have the possibility to prevent being hit, and even if you are awake, there is no retreat cost.

That said, I think Cleffa is an amazing starter, as you have the possibility to prevent being hit, and even if you are awake, there is no retreat cost.

Cleffa IS an amazing starter, but maybe not in a deck which already utilizes Donphan. Maybe 1-2 could be played for hand refreshment like Chatot is in some cases in MD-on, but for a starter Donphan is preferred more often than not.

I would just like to remind everyone this is starters for his donphan deck. Cleffa won't live through very many earthquakes once donphan is set up...

Back