Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Donmega/Weavile 3rd place Masters Canadian Nationals

Chucks

This my report for Nats. Remember, I'm not a writer and this was written quickly.
This was my first full year of competitive pokemon and with a top cut at one cities and
top cut at both Ontario and Quebec provincials, I was very satisfied of my achievements.
My goal this year was to top cut one tournament and then later, to win a round of top cut(Curtis).

R1
Yanmega/Magnezone

I start with a tyrogue active to his yanma. I win the flip and I have the pluspower and the junk arm
in my hand for the donk.

R2
Yanmega/vilplume
I start off with a quick yanmega and I start sniping 2 sunkerns off his bench and claw snagging
another one from his hand. I also sniped an oddish to avoid the trainer lock. He couldn't
get anything setup after and I eventually took all my prizes.

R3
MewGar
I don't really remember my start but all I know is that I missed the dophan with my Juniper and everytime I drew cards, there were at lease two pokemon in my hand. He got the turn one
see off for a gengar and I was easialy crush after he started using twins when I took my first prize.

R4
Donphan/Machamp
Not gona lie, I don't remeber this round at all. My notes just say I played a donchamp.

R5
Blastoise/feraligater
He started with a totodile active and I think I hit it with tyrogue. Next turn he doesn't get
another basic in play and I get the knock out and the win.

R6
Muk/vileplume/mew/jumpluff
He has cleffa active and a benched oddish. I win the roll,judge him turn one and knock out his
cleffa with tyrogue. he attaches an energy to oddish and passes. I hit hit with
tyrogue for 30. He then evolves to gloom, attaches another energy and uses the attack to do zero
damage since my tyrogue is asleep, but get heads and makes my tyrogue paralyzed.
I have the switch and the donphan to get the win.

R7
Reshiboar
He has reshiram active and he get terrible draw during the game. I just knock out whatever
was in play.

R of 16
Magnboar
I really wanted to win this one beacuse every other tournament this year that I made top cut,
I couldn't make it pass first round.

G1: I start great by getting most my basics out the first turn, especially two sneasel out.
By the next two turn, both his ability Emboars were in the discard pile by claw snags.
He had low energy on the board and I got a reversal flip to drag his magnezone up and
knock it out with donphan. He thens tries to setup his RDL but I sonicboomed it
once and got a reversal to get it up again and grab my last two prizes.

G2: Probably the opposite to game one were I got rid of his magnezones in play and a
claw snag on a twins when I took the first prize of the game. When he finally got
badboar out to take a prizes, I got the revenge KO with an heavy impact with two pluspowers and an earlier linear attack. He had nothing left after that.

R of 8
Yanmega/Magnezone
If you didn't read Seb C. report, you should. He's a great player, but
I got all the luck against him for nats.

G1: I get setup like usual and get a donphan andn yanmega out. He also
starts getting his yanmega's out and a magnezone. I kept My hand low
to avoid his yanmega and I got a key reversal flip on his magnezone
To cripple his draw.

G2: He chose to start and I lost the race. He also got a reversal on
my donphan with three fighting energies and he knocked it out with
one lost burn.

G3: the last game came down to a flip because he won game two on time
and I didn't know the rule that sudden death was a flip to see who starts.
I win the flip and we both have yanma active. I draw, play a pluspower,
juniper my hand to draw a communication and a pokemon for tyrogue and
use the junkarm to get the donk.

R of 4
Zekrom

G1: I quickly setup my Donphans and my type advantage gets me my
six prizes.

G2: He start and I can't get a phanpy in my setup or a supporter in
my hand. He gets very good flips on everything. I think he only got
one tails in the round. He gets the turn one bolt strike and I can't
keep up. He gets his final prize with a pokemon circulator.

G3: Again I cannot get a phanpy or a supporter in my hand. half the time there
was always at lease one defender on his zekrom and I couldn't do
anything. I lose in top four but still very happy with my nats preformance.

I blew my goal out of the water by not only winning one top cut round, but by making
top four and earning an invite to world. Thanks to Robert for bringing us all to Nats for
a great weekend.

Back