Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Donphan/Dragons

Barkjon

Hey guys.

So recently I've picked up DD as my main deck, and I'll probably play it for Cities. I've got a pretty dang consistent list that has even to favorable matchups against most deck except Goth. However, I have a few questions about DnD...

1) What will the correct dragon lines be played after the release of NV? Currently I'm playing 3/2 Zekrom/Reshiram, but I'm considering adjusting the lines to 2/2/1 Zekrom/Kyurem/Reshiram. The Kyurem is obviously in there to help in mirror and TyRam.

2) Is it even a good play for Cities? I'm on a tight budget (otherwise I would have played MegaZone), giving me the sole deck options of Cincinno/Zoroark, Stage 1's (with no Yanmega), the obvious Donphan/Dragons, or disruption variants (along the lines of Pom/Weavile/Cinno or Pom/Weavile/Donphan). Keep in mind that I am in seniors.

3) Is the release of all these waters pokes in NV going to mess up Donphan? There were tons of water Pokemon released which will give Donphan a disadvantage in certain matchups, but is the fact that I run all 3 Dragons as well as 2-2 Zoroark enough for me to KO these water Pokemon without using Donphan extensively?

4) Is 2-2 Zoroark even a good play in the deck?

5) Is Rocky Helmet a good play in DD, even if it is a tight fit for my list?

Thanks for the questions. If you want to see my list I'll share it. Also remember that DD is my preferred play for Cities, as I'm ridiculously comfortable with it.

I play this as well, when I'm not trolling with Durant. I use Rocky Helmet, and a 2/2/1 line of Dragons. Donphan and Fire are everywhere, so the Kyurem is almost the most important Dragon.

What is Reshiram for? Doesn't appear to deserve 2 spots. MAYBE 1 for Cobalion/random deck. I would probably run 2 Zekrom, 2 Kyurem. DnD doesn't seem like a bad play. It counters PrimeTime effectively, and has decent out against Tyram and Zekrom variants. I don't think the NV water Pokemon are very good, aside from Kyurem. Zoroark may have lost its edge to the release of Eviolite, but give it a shot because it used to be pretty good. I can't agree with running Rocky Helmet. It gets in the way of Eviolite, and even if it didn't, they can Catcher something else anyways.

Even having a 'main deck' is a small player mentality. I suggest you revise your entire approach to the game.

I want to thank you for your huge contribution to this thread, you answered his questions wonderfully and without any chance of your comments being misconstrue as insult.

Oh, wait, no, that was just rude.

I play this as well, when I'm not trolling with Durant. I use Rocky Helmet, and a 2/2/1 line of Dragons. Donphan and Fire are everywhere, so the Kyurem is almost the most important Dragon.

Yeah. I still need to get a hold of the Kyurem and the Rocky Helmet as well, I may end up just playing 1 Kyurem if I can't get it in time.

Even having a 'main deck' is a small player mentality. I suggest you revise your entire approach to the game.

What the heck, dude? It's the best deck that I have and the one that I have had the most success with, which is why it is my main deck.

I love seeing new trolls on here.

What is Reshiram for? Doesn't appear to deserve 2 spots. MAYBE 1 for Cobalion/random deck. I would probably run 2 Zekrom, 2 Kyurem. DnD doesn't seem like a bad play. It counters PrimeTime effectively, and has decent out against Tyram and Zekrom variants. I don't think the NV water Pokemon are very good, aside from Kyurem. Zoroark may have lost its edge to the release of Eviolite, but give it a shot because it used to be pretty good. I can't agree with running Rocky Helmet. It gets in the way of Eviolite, and even if it didn't, they can Catcher something else anyways.

Reshi is for Kingdra (the main way PrimeTime can ever counter my deck) and random metals (which may see more play) and Cobalion. PrimeTime is basically an autowin for me, and Tyram is even or so, and Zek is slightly favorable. Zoroark is my main counter against Tyram if I don't succeed in getting their Typhlosions out of the way.

Yeah, think I'll probably play DnD for CCs. I'm quite good at it and I'm very comfortable with it.

More comments would be nice :D

You don't need more than one Reshiram unless Metal gets huge (Which it won't, at least until something kills Reshiphlosion). It's only use is to shut down the Kingdra. Even Pre-Kyurem, I was 3/1.

Its a a very good deck, and you have a nice list. I am sure you will do very well with it. I dont think you can know the best dragon line until we find out just what our local meta is going to look like. I am thinking about runing a 2-2-2 line in my dugters deck to start anc change accordingly. Got to watch out for the Donphan killing snowflake as well.

You really only need 1 Reshiram. It's only there to declaw Kingdra and deal with 'awkward' deck matches that run grass types, but other than that, Zekrom and Kyurem should be your major Dragon lines.

@JandPDS: Thanks. I'll be at two Cities, so that will prove how good my list is.

@jjkkl; Yeah, that's what I'm playing: 2/2/1 Zek/Kyurem/Reshi currently, However, I may not be able to get the 2nd Kyurem. In that case, I'll play 2 Reshiram or just do 2/1/1.

Michael Luna ran two Tornadus, just an idea if Zoroark takes up too much space.
Posted with Mobile style...

The thing about zoroark is it'll be rendered useless against eviolite. A foul play blue flare or bolt strike will only power up outrage if you can't ohko it.

Tornadus is a definite solid play. It's a great fast attacker and gives you an option if you can't get Donphan out fast enough.

Yeah, I was considering dropping the Zoroark totally, as it kind of slows down the deck and I've already got Kyurem against Tyram.

So, drop the 2-2 Zoroark for 2 Tornadus and 2 other good cards?

I don't like Zoroark in it, 2/2/1 is good. I LOVE Vileplume/Reuncilus in it.SO GOOD. Rocky Helmet is ehh. I think it's a solid cities play, even with water rising in popularity. Use Zekrom against water if it becomes a trouble.

Yeah, I was considering dropping the Zoroark totally, as it kind of slows down the deck and I've already got Kyurem against Tyram.

So, drop the 2-2 Zoroark for 2 Tornadus and 2 other good cards?

I would even run 3 tornadus since he's so good at setting your bench up with energy. It will also help a great deal with a possible Donphan mirror and gives you am excellent secondary attacker if you can't get Donphan out fast enough. You're already running 4 DCE so the synergy is already there...

Yeah, I will attempt to get 2 Tornadus before my first Cities - if not, I'll just keep the Zoroark or possibly drop them entirely and max out consitency.

Oh yeah, another quick question: Is Max Potion a good play here? I play 1 just in case, and it works decently.

I also have the unusual addition of 3 Judges in the list, primarily to slow down Stage 2 decks like Goth and to slow down decks that thrive on energy acceleration.

Yeah, I will attempt to get 2 Tornadus before my first Cities - if not, I'll just keep the Zoroark or possibly drop them entirely and max out consitency.

I vote drop zoroark and go for consistancy. They were nice in your deck, but I did not notice that they did all that much to help you win, The die easily too. OHKO to a donphan with a Catcher. Hate to say it becuase I love the card, but Zoroarks best option for play was Spring Battle Roads before the rotation. Zoroark and Crobat SP were deadly.

^
Yeah, I probably will. Jeff, do you happen to have any Tornadus for trade? I'll be at league next Tuesday as well.

Zoroark was mainly useful before NV, and only against certain decks.

One thing I've been thinking about in here is one mad buffalo... that is, Revenge Bouffalant?

Last edited:
^
Yeah, I probably will. Jeff, do you happen to have any Tornadus for trade? I'll be at league next Tuesday as well.

Zoroark was mainly useful before NV, and only against certain decks.

One thing I've been thinking about in here is one mad buffalo... that is, Revenge Bouffalant?

I run bouffalant in my DD list and I like it a lot. It's another fast attacker that takes minimal effort to get out and has great synergy with your 4 dce. Not to mention it can revenge KO a zekrom after a bolt strike without eviolite. I would definitely test it and see how you like it.

So your saying your a 'big player' because you don't have a 'main deck'?
This is really some of the worst self boosting i have ever seen. Lol, by main deck he probably just means the one he is most likely to be using.
I guess I'm breaking the rules by feeding the troll.

Back