Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS-on DonphanDragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendan

Hey everybody, I'm working on DonphanDragons right now.
I tjhink the T/S/S lines are pretty good since I commonly draw into some sort of hand refreshment. I can get Donphan up and running pretty early and start damaging my Dragons right away.
But I'm wondering about the lines of the Dragons I'm running. I'm using 2 Zekrom and 1 Reshiram. It might seem a little low but I do have the Revives (and Junk Arms) to get them back but maybe I might wanna fix this. When Kyurem comes out I will definitely play 2 of them at least.
But I'm working on this list from HGSS-EP. I'll make other adjustments as sets are released.

The strategy is simple. Lead with Donphan early in the game and disrupt your opponent with Catcher and an early 60 damage T2. This alone wins games but if your opponent does manage to set something up, use Reshiram and Zekrom to Outrage for a load of damage. These are your late game cleaners.

Here's my list:
Pokémon (11)
4-4 Donphan
2 Zekrom
1 Reshiram

TSS (36)
4 Collector
4 Communication
4 Catcher
3 PlusPower
2 Revive
3 Junk Arm
3 Switch
2 Judge
2 Copycat
4 Oak's New Theory
3 Prof Juniper
2 Dual Ball

Energy (13)
4 Double Colourless Energy
9 Fighting Energy

A bit TSS heavy. I feel the Supporter lines are pretty good and just maybe need a bit of tweaking. Maybe take out an Oak or something. I'm thinking of removing the Revive's and Dual Ball for some other stuff. Either a 2-2 Yanmega for dealing with Donphan since I don't really have a decent counter to it and helps with disruption. Also fits in nicely with the Judge/Copycat.
I may also remove those for some extra Reshi/Zek since the basic count is only 7!

Also something has been troubling me about DD.
It takes a long time to get the Dragons to deal any real damage and when you do get them rolling, they get 1-shot way to easily? Do you just use Donphan through the whole of the game and then use your Dragons the take the last prizes (1 prize per dragon?)? Thing is they are easily Catchered and killed with all the damage on them... I'm sure the deck is pretty good but I'm not grasping how to play it yet. Though I guess practice makes perfect :)

I think the best way to play this deck is with Vileplume. It locks, you do cheap damage, then you sweep with dragons via weakness.

I also play with Rainbow energy just so I can use there good attack for 120.
Posted with Mobile style...

I think the best way to play this deck is with Vileplume. It locks, you do cheap damage, then you sweep with dragons via weakness.

I also play with Rainbow energy just so I can use there good attack for 120.
That's not bad, actually, but the thing is when I can't PPower or Catcher (which is very important). It depends when you set up Plume I guess but with Catcher coming out Donphan kills Oddish, get's sniped by Yanmega. I think Oddish is too vulnerable. But I haven't really tested yet.
I just hate how you are unable to do much mid-late game with a Plume up.
I dunno. I think that's just me. Maybe some Trainers could be removed for Reuniclus to move damage about? I don't know >_<

rainbow nrg is very important to be able to have attacking options. I would suggest cutting a juniper for another judge and cut a communication for another zekrom. when kyurem is printed switch out a zekrom for it. reuniclus is a bit clunky here, you're better served by running pokes that actually K.O. stuff rather than a st2 support poke

Whats up with Judge and Copycat? If you have no yanmega you might as well increase your consistency of making the deck go smoother, also dual balls are kind of useless because of how many pokemon you run, you don't run a high amount. You should reconsider to add in another Reshiram, as it definitely helps in the match against and donphan variant because Donphan needs to 2 shot it with a plus power. Usually with Reshiarm and Donphan you should take the league in mirror, also why run revives if you can't even retrieve your DCE's? You have to be attaching 2 fightning energy's to even get to hit for outrage, which is why running a split of 2/2 of the dragon's is better then running revives.

I played this deck for a while and here are my changes:

- I know you have Zekrom, but Ruins of alph should really be run here.

- Zoroark and Bouffallant are amazing in this deck.

This is a really fun deck., make sure your not running too many draw supporters though. Any more than 9 and its a waste.

I'm trying this with a Reuniclus and Max Potions. Reuniclus can focus the damage you are doing to your bench, or spread it; Max potion is there to clean up damage if you rack up too much. Since most of the energy costs are pretty low, max potion is not gonna hurt you.

A 2nd Reshiram is important against Kingdra. Also, I agree with the poster who said to add a 1-1 Zoroark. Copycat is a bad card, but keep the Judge. Also, with this list, I'd drop a DCE for a Rainbow. Then drop 3 Fighting for 3 Rainbows.

Thanks a ton for the help guys.
So Reshiram is a good enough counter (I guess) for Donphan? I really did want to bump it up to 2.
And Wade, you made a good point about Revives.
I'll probably drop:
-2 Copycat
-2 Revive
-2 Dual Ball (really wanted to get this outta here TBH)
-3 Fighting
-1 DCE
-1 Juniper
-1 Communication

And add in:
+1 Reshiram
+2 Ruins of Alph
+1 Zekrom
+1 Judge
+4 Rainbow Energy
+1-1 Zoroark
+1 Bouffalant

These good additions? I did run Rainbow Energy before, but dropped it for more draw support.
Again, thanks everyone who's posted here. Everyones has made great and different suggestions :)
I can't seem to get replies on 6P. Good to know I can reply on The Gym :')

Reuncilus is not a good play without Vileplume. So that is not a good idea. Also, Vileplume is not a good idea because your deck really stuggles to OHKO stuff. You really need those PlusPowers and Max Potions.

I'm running this same deck and Judge is useless if you don't run Yanmega, your better off running another Juniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back