Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Don't Forget to Play !!!!

Rogue Archetype

Moderator <br> Contest Host
Many of you have not experienced THE JOY OF DECKBUILDING!

So many people are looking for "cheats" to tournament play that they've strayed from the FUN part of Pokemon: Creative Deck Building.

Even if you're using a popular card (i.e. Gyarados, Luxray/Garchomp, Shuppet), I would submit to you that there's just NO BETTER WAY to experience Battle Roads than to attend with your own tested version of the deck.

People always ask "What should I play?"

My answer is always the same: "Whatever you've tested and whatever works!"

Regardless of what your 'top players' are playing, your best bet to perform without regrets is to sit down with a card and use ANYTHING that makes that card do what it needs to do.

So many people ignore cards because they're not commonly used.

How good is MARLEY's with PokeCommunication and Luxury Ball ?
How good is POTION in an Ampharos/Manectic deck ?

I challenge you to STOP doing "what everyone else is doing" and just do what makes sense to you!!!

Don't follow the Status Quo; create it.

( this message has been sponsored by SOTG - where FUN comes first )

I remember reading the post about Good Rod and Luxury Ball and thinking, "Hey, that's actually really clever."

TSD would also be fun with Good Rod. Playing 2 Good Rods always gets you a Pokemon if that's what you want.

Maybe the fun part of pokemon for some is doing well in a tournament. Why do so many people decide to play common decks? Because they enjoy doing well!

I'm not discouraging the idea of being creative, I think that's quite a nifty idea.

However, the "top players" are at the "top" because they know how to build decks and play them. I believe there's no shame in learning from the best.

As valid of a point as that is, I think the 'top' players need to step back once in a while and play some really casual games with really weird decks and combinations. Not only is it more fun to challenge yourself this way once in a while (for most people), it also teaches you things and tricks that you wouldn't have normally thought of - which improves your skill as a player.

Most "top players" do actually test several deck ideas. They might not go to a tournament with a random deck, but don't think that they don't explore other options.

Also, they typically reserve casual games for playtesting.

There's nothing worse than wanting to show up to a tournament with a cool new idea and R1 end up facing someone with a netdecked list.

I'm with R_A on this one: be creative and earn some street cred.

For those players that want to win, here's a message for you: It's a BR! Your deck won't be mass-produced and retailed at stores, you will not make a significant amount of money, you won't become the most highly respected person on the internet and you certainly won't be proving any sort of skill. If you don't believe me, write a TR. Here's a sample:

R1: Luxchomp vs. Crobat Prime
I OHKO'd his Bat 4 times with Luxray Lv. X
1-0

R2: Luxchomp vs. Flygon/Steelix (Felix)
I OHKO'd his Flygons with my Garchomp C 3 times. He scoops
2-0

R3: Luxchomp vs. Arceus
I brought it down to 3 prizes, but I lost :(
2-1

R4: Luxchomp vs. Blastoise/Forretress
I spray'd him lol
3-1

R5: Luxchomp vs. Cradily
I almost beat her, but I didn't
3-2

So top 4 are announced, and I got 5th :(

Props:
-Me for being so consistent
-Luxchomp for almost top cutting

Slops:
-SOUR GRAPES!!!

See? This is how cool you'll look.

2-1

3-2

There's something seriously wrong with this.

I'm not sure how much credit you'd get for making a creative deck if you ended up losing though. But in the end, a lot of the decks performance comes down to the player.

2-1

3-2[/I]

See? This is how cool you'll look.

lol'd

I would so play at BRs if I had anything decent.

Yeah, I was thinking of extra healing options in various decks. How game changing is Double Pokehealer, or headson a life herb? That's game changing for sure!

Agree that Battleroads are not much about winning but about playing fundecks, decks you just wnt to play again/at all at least once etc. Or just build a deck 10 min before the tournament :p

Last BR I played Flygon/Leafeon just cause I wanted to use my beloved leafeons again, then I 5:0ed swiss and got second xD And last year the night before a br I wasnt sure what to play and a friend of mine just gave me a list of something he was trying (leafeon/blaziken/typhlosion). I just decided to play it without any testing, spent halt the night searching for cyndaquils and x:0ed the br

Still I think its pontless to play decks that you know wont work, theres no fun in loosing all the time, play something odd and cool thats still competetive ;P

I am on the same train of thought as Rogue Archetype. I'm going to have some fun at my last Battle Roads as a Senior. My metagame is really small, so I can practically show up, win a game, and get packs. But I just want to play something fun, something that no one has actually played in a tournament before. Wether I write a tournament report showing skill or extreme stupidity will be determined by the outcome of the tournament.

By the way, since I'm a Senior, I could probably play Turbo Bidoof and defeat 278 LuxChomps in a row since Seniors can be such lucksacks. Talk about fun!

Perhaps it's just me, but I do goof off with many other decks. I've lately been working on a Shedinja (SV) and Quagsire GL(RR) deck just to laugh at people who can't get past them. 'Course it has a huge weakness to Luxray lvl x, but I don't care too much. Otherwise, my competitive deck is a rogue deck that I love. Used it in the regionals and I love watching people just blink, wondering "How in the world did that happen!?". 'Course I lost pretty bad, but maaan was it fun.

It's always fun to find those little combinations to make big results, though. Combine Ninetales and Typhlosion prime, you get 3 cards and a free extra energy attachment for one damage counter. Get that with stark mountain, and you can move it to whatever you feel like. Or use a potion to remove the damage.

Toss in Professor Oak's Visit and Dusk ball, so you can get back whatever pokemon you put down, or pick something even better. A mini pokemon communication and free 3 cards to me.

I've only been in one other battle road, and due to my... lack of knowledge (Been a casual player for a while) in decks, I got owned. But it was fun to use Parasect against a Machamp, even though you knew it'd die next turn. Might just be that I stunk, and I was so nervous my cards were vibrating uncontrollably, but it was fun to have my cards picked up in a few turns, just for them to look and give me the look of "Geez, this kid stinks, but he's having a lot of fun losing... How weird."

But the point of my minor ramble is that it's always good to have a little goof off time against other players, even if you get pummeled by Luxchomp or Jumpluff. New cards come up, so why not have some fun with 'em?

o0o0o love the Creative side of deck building, best part is you get a feeling of a complishment when you test and tune it and it works how its surpose to ! personally looking in Hypno HGSS and Venasuar SV... theres so many combos that can be done, that if its jsut done right can be killer. and agree with Alex2K on the healing... taknig 80+ damage and healing for 80 and removing special conditions... that can turn the tables big...

:mad: (r archtype ) : I understand what you are saying but I feel that your message is lost on this group , It all about points and winning not having fun. I've kept the SOTG since 2004 and now I feel that SOTG isn't here anymore .

You 'rogues' are too critical of people who don't play unheard of decks.
I have lots of fun deck building, even if I'm building something I've heard of.
Just today, I built a Plox from scratch, because I refuse to look at builds of archetypes on the internet. Knowing the powerful engines and trying to find a way to fit them together and make them work for you individually is just a challenging as going rogue.
If anything, building rogue is less fun for me, because I just go, 'derp, Imma bild a mammyswine dek!' and then poof, there's a terrible Mammyswine. (Yes, I call him mammyswine. I like it.)

Maybe it's because I consistently get crushed by my testers even playing their lists against them, but hey- I play seasoned, skilled players, I can't build rogue. They stomp me.
And you know what?
I can still surprise them with things I throw in, even playing archetypes.

So, quit being so critical.
Pooh.

charcharchar, I personally have no issue with people like you, who build archetype decks creatively and on their own. What I hate is people who just find a list online and play it. I hate that even more when they do well in tournaments. It almost feels like cheating to me.

Dude, I hate netdecking. No arguments from me on that at all!

(Guy netcecked a similar build to mine for regionals and went one round further in top cut :nonono: )

Back