Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dragons Exalted Set Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frost

Via Bulbapedia: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/New_Dragons_Exalted_information_revealed

So... with "over 120" i.e. 121-129 (plus probably four secret shinies) confirmed, it's sounding like 15-25 cards from Dragon Selection/Blade/Blast and the Garchomp/Hydreigon decks won't be making it to Dragons Exalted. And with the set only having 15 Dragon cards... I'm thinking a lot of Dragon Selection is getting cut? Heck, Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast and the Garchomp/Hydreigon Half Decks alone have 18 Dragon-type cards!

It's pretty much sounding like we're getting the same six EX cards that Dragon Blade/Blast got, but that's kind of straightforward. Other than that we know Magikarp and Gyarados from one of the decks is in the set too.

I'm kind of frustrated honestly because with the National Beginning Set, Keldeo Deck, the BW6 set coming out this summer... we're already really behind Japan and none of these cards from the Dragon sets should have been postponed! I hope they don't skip Dragon Selection or something.

Last edited:
The interesting thing for me is that the new article announces a new energy type: Dragon.

My first thought, too specific. But that was also my thought a long time ago with dark, which seemed to work fine. So is the new energy a good idea or not?

But what really bugs me is this
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dragon_Blast/Dragon_Blade_(TCG)

Click on the dragons. Where is the dragon energy? Or is that just the type and not the energy? That might be the case, but its unheard of

But something Im excited about is Altaria. They finally brought it back! Maybe it hasnt been so long but did you see its new ability? Plus 20 to dragon attacks. I believe this will be really playable and common as a bench pokemon after the US release

Im excited for Dragons Exalted. Can't wait to open up a box and get my hands on a mew

My friends and I discussed some things about this new info, and I'll post what we came up with.

1) The blurb mentions plural Special Energy, so both blend will be coming.

2) "15 Dragon-type Pokémon" can mean two things. First, 15 Dragon type cards, which Blast/Blade/Half Decks without the FA's and Shinies, is exactly 15. OR secondly, 15 Pokémon, so the two Deino cards would count as 1 Pokémon. Same with Zweilous/Hydreigon (which are already confirmed) and Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus/Gible/Gabite/Garchomp/Dratini/Dragonair. The second option matches the "70 new Pokémon" description of Black & White base set.

3) Shiny secret Rayquaza. Would they release the Shiny Secret without the card released beforehand? There are three options here. Release Selection Rayquaza first, and save Shiny Rayquaza for BW7 (which mirrors the closest with what has happened for the last two sets). Release Selection Rayquaza and Shiny Rayquaza in the same set. And release Shiny Rayquaza only, and save Selection Rayquaza for later.

4) The prerelease promos. Starting with DEX, the promo has been an alternate artwork BW Black Star Promo of something in the set. Based off of what Japan has for alternate artwork, there are three options: Ninetales, Drifblim, and Altaria. Given, they could create an English exclusive art, but I doubt it based on the fact that they already have options from the Japanese cards. At least 1 of these three cards need to make it. They've done a lot of Fire lately (3/5 of the BW sets were fire), so they may use Altaria, to both change it up and feature the dragon type at the same time.

That's what we've been thinking about. I also dislike 120 cards: I think it is too small. But, remember, the National Beginning Set and Keldeo Strength Deck both feature Keldeo, which is a BW2 feature, so most of those cards are supposed to go with Freeze Bolt/Cold Flare anyway. Without those, there are only 140-150 cards, which we will now be getting 120-130 of them.

Additionally, Freeze Bolt/Cold Flare might not have that many Dragons in it. On the Cold Flare side, we have Conkeldurr numbered 36 and White Kyurem-EX numbered 41. That leaves four cards (37, 38, 39, 40) for all of Darkness, Metal, and Dragon (as Kyurem is the last Dragon). Scizor must take 1 of those 4 spots (which is expected because the Scyther has all colorless attacks). This does not include the Freeze Bolt side, which is a lot more open since the closest thing we know to Black Kyurem-EX at 46 is Scolipede at 32, so we can't say much about it. Yeah, Flygon has to be somewhere in there (probably Freeze Bolt due to the space), but its Trapinch is at Fighting type. Additionally, the only other Dragons left are Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, Zekrom, Dragon Arceus, and Kingdra. Kingdra is already impossible for Freeze Bolt, since there isn't space for Horsea and Seadra in between Darmanitan 14 and Marill 15, so it is a safe bet for one of the other 3 spaces left in cold flare. My point is, there won't be many dragons in FB/CF, so they need to save some (probably Dragon Selection) for that release.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured that National Beginning Set and Keldeo would go into our November set but the thing is... the November set already seems like it's going to be packed with Cold Flare and Freeze Bolt stuff in addition to those other things. If they're postponing stuff that should be in Dragons Exalted, where is it going to show up, especially when FB/CF combined (118+ cards) is already the size of an English set lately? :(

It's really frustrating that TPCi seems like they're afraid of doing a really big set ever since Supreme Victors was a bomb with players.

ETA: Huh, I didn't even catch that it said 15 Dragon Pokemon rather than 15 cards. That's got me a little more hopeful.

Last edited:
The interesting thing for me is that the new article announces a new energy type: Dragon.

My first thought, too specific. But that was also my thought a long time ago with dark, which seemed to work fine. So is the new energy a good idea or not?

But what really bugs me is this
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dragon_Blast/Dragon_Blade_(TCG)

Click on the dragons. Where is the dragon energy? Or is that just the type and not the energy? That might be the case, but its unheard of

But something Im excited about is Altaria. They finally brought it back! Maybe it hasnt been so long but did you see its new ability? Plus 20 to dragon attacks. I believe this will be really playable and common as a bench pokemon after the US release

Im excited for Dragons Exalted. Can't wait to open up a box and get my hands on a mew

First of all, let me say that it's great to see a new player excited for some new cards.

Now then.

Altaria is actually in one of THE BEST decks in Japan right now. It gets paired with Garchomp, and cranks out crazy damage quickly and does so while staying uber consistent.

The special energy they talk about is actually Blend energy. Think of them as "half rainbow" energies in that they only provide one of four instead of eight. But they don't make you put a damage counter on yourself, and when rainbow rotates, they'll still be here. Both of them see quite a bit of play in japan, so look forward to those as well.

Dragon is only a type so far. All dragon type cards take one or two regular energy types to attack with. This means that unless something changes in the future, dragon is a type that exists purely to hit for its own weakness. This lines up well to parallel the video game, as dragons are weak to other dragons there as well.

Any other questions while I'm at it?

Yeah, I figured that National Beginning Set and Keldeo would go into our November set but the thing is... the November set already seems like it's going to be packed with Cold Flare and Freeze Bolt stuff in addition to those other things. If they're postponing stuff that should be in Dragons Exalted, where is it going to show up, especially when FB/CF combined are already the size of an English set lately? :(

In one month when Freeze Bolt/Cold Flare is released in Japan, there will be 249 cards currently released in Japan that we have not received in English yet. (This total does not include any Freeze Bolt/Cold Flare promo cards, simply because there hasn't been any word on any yet, except for Flygon alternate art, which is already factored in. But it does have EVERYTHING else that is different enough to be given to us.) That is waaaay too many cards to have in between us. At least two sets worth, AKA half a year. That cannot be anything but a bad thing. I understand your frustration, cause I have it too.

Dragon Selection - 18 (20 if you want to count Super Rod and Exp. Share)
Dragon Blade - 55
Dragon Blast - 55
Hydreigon/Garchomp Decks - 18
-----------------------
Freeze Bolt - 59+
Cold Flare - 59+
National Beginning Deck - 30 (+4 reprint trainers)
Keldeo Battle Strength Deck - 8
BW-P Promos

Sound right? That's insane actually. I didn't realize that they've pumped out nearly every Dragon Pokemon as a Dragon-type card either. Also insane!

Dragon Selection - 18 (20 if you want to count Super Rod and Exp. Share)
Dragon Blade - 55
Dragon Blast - 55
Hydreigon/Garchomp Decks - 18
-----------------------
Freeze Bolt - 59+
Cold Flare - 59+
National Beginning Deck - 30 (+4 reprint trainers)
Keldeo Battle Strength Deck - 8
BW-P Promos

Sound right? That's insane actually. I didn't realize that they've pumped out nearly every Dragon Pokemon as a Dragon-type card either. Also insane!

I have this list right here with everything currently unreleased. My current count of that list is 192 Stand Alone cards, 8 Full art, 4 Secret Shinies, and 14 Alternate Artworks. It will be updated with Freeze Bolt/Cold Flare stuff, with any relevant promos, at the time of release. (Japan announced a Keldeo promo to go with the FBCF...our third Keldeo.)

Of note, it does not include the four reprint trainers of National Beginning Set, since they had the same art (same goes for Super Rod and Exp. Share), but it does include Rocky Helmet and Eviolite from Keldeo Strength Deck, which did have new artwork.

Yeah, it still includes Cobalion Strength Deck Lillipup, (also, notice the four separate unreleased Pikachu of the BW era, hehe)... I'm hoping to eventually turn this list into something useful once the Black & White Series has moved into the past. But, for now, it is a complete list of everything, which is why Lillipup is still included (I personally still have hope that the Dragons Exalted Stage 2 Blisters may include the Stoutland line with a Lillipup Black Star promo).

Last edited:
Lillipup is still included (I personally still have hope that the Dragons Exalted Stage 2 Blisters may include the Stoutland line with a Lillipup Black Star promo).

If this ever happens we will have to celebrate because we've been the only two people harping on this card being translated for about a year now. :lol:

Definitely a handy page to keep an eye on for me, though, since I try to keep a list in Textpad of everything with new artwork that we haven't gotten in the west.

Honestly, that announcement reads that we're getting a new energy type. (IE New basic energy

I really doubt this to be the case, but that is how it reads to me.

Jason, considering there will be 15 Dragon-type cards, I agree that at least some of Dragon Selection will be delayed for the next set. With the 9 Dragon-types in Dragon Blade and Dragon Blast combined (not including non-EX Rayquaza), that means 6 would be included from Dragon Selection. With Rayquaza likely to ne one of them, that would leave 5 Dragon-type spots open for speculation.

I feel if anything from DS is going to be in this, it's going to be the Bagon line and the 3 legendaries.

If the half deck Hydreigon/Garchomp are the cut ones, they could be blister promos or could be in some trainer kit(very unlikely though).

Here's what I predict will happen. We will get all of DB/DB and the theme decks, but none of DS. My reason for this is that if you add up all of the Dragon types in those (excluding full arts/secret rares) it's 15. And not to mention that Gyarados (who came from the theme decks) is on the cover of one of the boosters.

I really don't know how PCi plans to handle DS. We really can't wait for it for another set since our November set will mainly be FB/CF which is already right under 120 cards, not including any crap promos or national set cards that will probably be included as well.

I personally think it'd be cool if the DS cards were put into some sort of "Dragon Collection" box for like $15-$20. That way all of the cards could remain holo (which I'm sure everyone wants) and also it would mean more space in our real sets.

I personally think it'd be cool if the DS cards were put into some sort of "Dragon Collection" box for like $15-$20. That way all of the cards could remain holo (which I'm sure everyone wants) and also it would mean more space in our real sets.

At the point where it would cost 60-80 dollars for a playset of Fast Ticket....

I think some people are really, really reading this press release wrong.

When it refers to "new-energy type", the context of it is simply referring to the fact that the Dragon-type will be added to the game. It doesn't refer to those separately; it doesn't refer to the new type, and then to a new energy for that type. It simply says the new Dragon-energy type, which I believe simply refers to the Dragon type Pokemon themselves. If Japan hasn't gotten Dragon basic energy, we aren't either.

Also, when it refers to 15-Dragon type Pokemon, it does NOT use the word "card" in that sentence at ALL. This leads me to believe there will be 15 separate Dragon type Pokemon, meaning we will have more than 15 Dragon-type cards, as there will be duplicate Pokemon.

It has its places. Yeah, good players can go second and still win, but it will still be annoying to go second all the time to people running it. Ultra Ball fodder. Diving Draw it away, etc.

I'd welcome going second to someone who wants to waste 4 spots in their deck to fitting Fast Ticket in their deck. I think it increases your chances of going first to something like 75%....so there's still a 25% chance you're opponent goes first, even while you waste 4 spots of your deck for it.

I'd rather have my ultra ball/diving draw fodder be something that could in some way be useful at another point in the game, than being solely useless beyond being ultra balled or diving draw'd away.

Exactly. People ran four Collector back in the day, but there were still those games where you didn't get one and were off to a bad start. Fast Ticket is completely useless after T1, and it would be so annoying to top deck one in a clutch situation.

Tornaudus donk is the only deck I can see it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back