Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Drapion

lordantwarrior

Instead of creating threads about cards everybody already raves about (and rightly so in some cases), such as Dialga, Shaymin, Ampharos etc, I decided to create a discussion about a lesser talked about card, but nontheless a very interesting card:

:dark: Drapion Lv.X
HP: 130
Weakness: :psychic:X2
Resistance: None
Retreat: :colorless:colorless:colorless

Poke-Power: Tri-Poison

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may flip a coin. If heads, choose 1 of the defending Pokemon. That Pokemon is now poisoned. Put 3 damage counters instead of 1 on that Pokemon between turns. This power can't be used if Drapion is affected by a special condition.

:dark::dark::colorless:colorless Sniping Tail 40

Does 40 damage to one of your opponent's benched Pokemon (don't apply weakness and resistance for benched Pokemon.) The defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not neccecarily saying this card will be broken or form a top tier deck, since it has many weaknesses such as obviously Dialga and a flippy power. But still it is an interesting card. Imagine if the flip goes your way, and deal 40 with 40 spread, opponent can't retreat to rid of poison, boom 3 damage counters (Thinking of Dusknoir X, including the weakness), next turn use same attack, they can't retreat again and so on.

Good card or bad?
Discuss.

I wouldn't say that it's bad... but it's not broken either. The x2 Weakness to Psychic is really going to hurt it because of Toxicroak G. Dusknoir and Gengar decks are still a viable option, too,

But really, you never know... most people were like "Regigigas? EW" when it first came out and now look at it...

I've been thinking about this card somewhat too. That Tri-Poison is just sick, especially if you can get some Weezing GE out. We're talking 40-50 in between turns, with no retreating. Warp Points will run out quickly from that, too, so you'll get a lot of KO's from that.

I think that it has somewhat low damage output without the poison, though. And that weakness really will hurt it, since Toxicroak G now OHKO's a poisoned Drapion. But I think this is really worth some thought, and isn't just binder bait.

Sniping Tail with Darkrai LV.X is pretty sick, making it able to do either 80 or 110 to the active, stop retreat, AND hit a bench for 40 all at once. I'll have to echo the whole "What the heck do you do against Galactic?" question, though I suppose one could feasibly just play their own stadium, and abuse Mesprit drops. You two hit KO benched Claydol at least, which makes your job a heck of a lot easier.

Its kinda interesting that you can tech in your own Toxicroak G if needed with little difficulty, 'cause Drapion can poison from the bench. Huh. Perhaps that's the trick to fighting Galactic, since it has AWFULLY lame mirror matches?

it is a good deck i have to admit.. the X2 psychic weakness really hurts it though.... OHKO from toxicroak and from random psychics is not fun, it is good though.

Two things interest me about Drapion lv X

First you can use the power from the bench (hello Level MAX).

Second you can poision G Pokemon (hello Toxicroak mirror).

The weakness is horrible and the attacks aren't quite as good as I would like, however the typing is good and the HP are solid for a stage 1.

Gliscor LA hits for 80 if they are affected by a special condition for 2 energy.

That plus poison + a couple of weezing 1HKos most stuff.

I wouldn't run Darkrai with it. The damage bonus is nice, but the loss of speed isn't.

And Galactic mirror matches aren't so bad. Tech in AzelfX and you're good to go. Somewhat.

EDIT: Nevermind on that second statement, I just remembered that Poison Structure doesn't work on SP Pokemon. That makes the mirror harsh.

Last edited:
I have found this card to be an amazing worker when you use timely Special Darkness Energy drops in tandem with Pluspower/Buck's Training. When you get the heads flip on Tri-Poison, this can all work to pull off some amazing surprise knock outs that you nor your opponent could ever expect. In addition, you can always set up the next threat for its own demise, or gun down a Claydol with the 40 spread. I have been pairing this guy with Honchkrow Lv.X and Tyranitar, and both are promising.

Back