Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS-on Durant for states: NEED HELP FAST!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatherer418

This was my fallback because I couldn't finish my ZekEels soon enough:

4 Durant
1 Cobalion
1 Rotom

4 Collector
4 Juniper
4 N
3 Twins

3 Catcher
2 Crushing Hammer
3 Eviolite
4 Junk Arm
4 Level Ball
3 Lost Remover
3 Pokegear 3.0
4 Revive
1 Super Rod

1 Battle City

5 Metal
4 Sp. Metal
2 Prism

You all know the strategy. I'm going to use the Cobalion, so don't suggest taking it out. I really need the help with the supporter/trainer/energy lines. Specifically things like using rescue energy, FSL instead of Super Rod for Vileplume matchups, and numbers of the various cards. Any suggestions are appreciated and I will update upon playtesting.

Last edited:
Prisms are used to power up Rotom though.

Why are you running Cobalion? You should run anything pokemon wise beside durant and Rotom. You don't use damage attacks with Durant, just try and deck them.

---------- Post added 03/04/2012 at 06:34 PM ----------

Here's what I would do....
4 Durant
1 Rotom

4 Juniper
4 PONT
3 Twins

2 Catcher
3 Crushing Hammer
1 Lost Remover
2 Unown (look at your prizes)
3 Eviolite
4 Junk Arm
4 Dual Ball
4 Level Ball
3 Lost Remover
4 Pokegear 3.0
3 Revive
1 Super Rod

6 Basic Metal
4 Special Metal

I'm just wondering why you're so persistent with Cobalion? You shouldn't ever do anything but try and mill. Try this list, and see what you think, don't rule it out.

Cobalion is used as a stall if I need to reset my Durants. It can also KO any main attackers with lots of energy. It's been proven to be a major player in some tough matchups. Why would you take out N? The disruption that it creates makes it even better than Juniper. By the way, you said lost remover 1 and lost remover 3... Also, are the dual balls really necessary? I've had fairly consistent set up without that.
Posted with Mobile style...

Cobalion is used as a stall if I need to reset my Durants. It can also KO any main attackers with lots of energy. It's been proven to be a major player in some tough matchups. Why would you take out N? The disruption that it creates makes it even better than Juniper. By the way, you said lost remover 1 and lost remover 3... Also, are the dual balls really necessary? I've had fairly consistent set up without that.

My bad man, you don't need to attack at all. Durant runs just fine with it, that deck is all about consistency. Also yeah I see that add a fourth of something else I listed. Yes Dual ball is very necessary!

Dont listen, Cablion is needed in Durrant. You cant just put yourself in a position where you just loose if your opponet gets a pokemon set up and starts OHKO'ing your ants. You need to have a answer aound often a black belted Cobalion will be just the thing you need. I rant 3 all cities long. But you dont need to run that many one or two will be fine with your revives.

I've made some changes to my list. Please comment again on what you think works, doesn't work, etc. Biggest thing is the number of each trainer I have.

4 Durant
1 Cobalion
1 Rotom
1 Ditto (To counter decks that use Shaymin UL. They leave one extra bench space for it, so this eliminates that space)

4 Collector
3 Juniper (I found 4 was unnecessary)
3 N (Substituted 1 for PONT. There was many matchups I had where I would rather have PONT because I didn't want them to refresh)
1 PONT
3 Twins

3 Catcher
2 Crushing Hammer
2 Eviolite
1 FSL (For the rare Vileplume matchup, plus it's a good card)
4 Junk Arm
4 Level Ball
2 Lost Remover
2 Pokegear 3.0
4 Revive
1 Super Rod
1 Switch (In case Rotom or Cobalion gets caught out as my active)
1 Xtransceiver (Since I don't have 3 Pokegears at the moment. Will switch out when I actually get my third)

1 Battle City

5 Metal
4 Sp. Metal
2 Prism

---------- Post added 03/06/2012 at 08:12 AM ----------

Thoughts on Black Belt??

---------- Post added 03/06/2012 at 10:18 AM ----------

So for those helping and those who need help with building their Durant deck, I came up with a list of all the absolutely necessary cards and then possible techs and their uses.

4 Durant
1 Rotom

4 Collector
3 N
3 Juniper
3 Twins

4 Revive
4 Junk Arm
4 Level Ball

4 Sp. Metal
5 Metal
2 Prism

That's 41 cards, which leaves you with 19 tech cards. Here are ones that I feel are most useful:

Cobalion- sweeper late game, Kyurem counter, KO main attackers
Ditto- to counter decks that use Shaymin UL. They leave one extra bench space for it, so this eliminates that space

Catcher- disruption, slowing set up, force energy waste
Pokegear 3.0- practically a must-have to ensure a 1st turn collector
Xtransceiver- Same as pokegear pretty much. Use this if you are only running 3 Collectors
Switch- for that awkward turn when you start with Rotom or Cobalion gets catchered
Eviolite- Increase Durant's HP
Lost Remover- disruption, set up slow down, energy removal
Crushing Hammer- same as Lost love
Super Rod- recycle energy, as a revive in conjunction with Twins

Black Belt- belted Cobalion for KO, even Durant in a pinch
PONT- hand refresh for when you don't want N to refresh your opponent
FSL- Like Super Rod in case of trainer lock

Battle City- get rid of opponent's skyarrow, increase own setup rate

Last edited:
If you have Mewtwo ex try running 1 with a DCE teched in. That way other players that pump only Mewtwo will die as soon as you Twins for it and bam they wont know what hit them. Mewtwo in Durant is a solid play for States!!

Haha if I did, I might think about it, but I don't and I'm not going to buy one. But I would argue against including it because it contradicts the focus of the Durant deck. You want to deck them, remove energy and useful cards, and take out more powerful cards with Cobalion late game if necessary. Cobalion is, in my opinion, a significantly more useful tech.

have you considered alph litho 4

it lets you look at your prizes and paired with rotom it really helps fish out your prized durant

also black belt probaly isn't worth it IMO because
1. if your at the point when you need to be atttacking you've probaly already lost
2. if you use it with durant it barely makes a dent in most pokemons HP

hope I helped

I will definitely consider alph lithograph. It would definitely help to get a 2nd or at worse 3rd turn 4 Durant setup. Your point about not needing the blackbelt may be true. Belted Cobalion wouldn't be able to OHKO a 3 energy Zekrom. Also, you figure that a eviolited and 1 metal energied Durant will have an effective 120 HP against Mewtwo. This means that Mewtwo needs 5 energy, meaning a belted Cobalion would be revenging for 160 which is short of OHKOing Mewtwo. I guess that doesn't really make sense. However, in playtesting, it is not true that when you need to attack that the game is lost. I had a major turning point when my Rotom dealt 60 on a 2 bolt strike damaged Zekrom for the KO. This arguably was the attack that won the game for me.

you can also use dual ball in this deck. ive found that dual ball has better chances than people think cause of flippyness. one of the most underrated cards IMO

but i had never thought attacking with a durant deck would be able to do much, but now that you mention that its a good point

Have you thought about the possiblity of having rotom prized AND a durant (which definitely happens)? That would be game over. I would add a second rotom.

---------- Post added 03/07/2012 at 08:29 PM ----------

I would take out 1 N for the rotom

I have thought of that possibility. However,, this is true of most any deck that your key cards could be prized and that is just bad luck. It could happen to anyone. The chances of that are so slim though that it is not worth trying to counter that possibility by adding more Rotom. The chances of this happening is less than 5%, so I don't think that this is anything to worry about.

I personally prefer Level ball because of the gaurunteed pokemon. I haven't had any trouble with getting 4 Durant set up, turn 1 most of the time, turn 2 sometimes, and turn 3 only if a Durant was prized and I got bad draws. However, I realize that dual ball is more of a preference than being good or bad, I just choose not to use it. However, I am thinking of upping the crushing hammers to make my mirror better and to give me more time to mill.

No I'm up in Washington state. That would be quite a trip haha. Anyways, new deck list for you all!

4 Durant
1 Cobalion
1 Ditto
1 Rotom

4 Collector
4 N
2 PONT
3 Twins

1 Alph Litho 4
3 Catcher
4 Crushing Hammer
2 Eviolite