Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Each Type of Basic Energy"

UncleBob

Quick question... (everyone laugh at the noob!)

If a card says something along the lines of "...plus 10 more damage for each type of basic energy card attached" and I have 5 grass energy cards attached, it'd only be +10 because there is only one type of energy attached, right? Meaning that the most you could get from this is +60, right?

Yep, exactly. So if you had 1 Grass Energy and 1 Fire Energy attached, you'd do +20, whereas if you had 3 Grass Energy and a Rainbow Energy (provides basic Energy, but is not a basic Energy card), you'd only do +10.

Physics Squirrel said:
I heard that Rainbow (or at least Multi) Energy counts as each type of basic energy card. :\

Not quite. Rainbow (or Multi) counts as each type of Basic energy, but if an attack or effect specifies a "basic energy card' (that exact wording), Rainbow will not satisfy it.

Here's the various scenarios, where "X" represents a color of energy:

Attack/effect specifies energy: Rainbow satisfies it.
Attack/effect specifies energy cards: Rainbow satisfies it.
Attack/effect specifies "X" energy: Rainbow satisfies it.
Attack/effect specifies "X" energy card or cards: Rainbow satisfies it.
Attack/effect specifies Basic "X" energy card: Rainbow does not satisfy it.
Attack/effect specifies Basic energy card(s): Rainbow does not satisfy it.

Last edited:
So rainbow is a water energy card, a fire energy card, etc. (for the purposes of stuff like Kingdra's Water Cyclone) but not a BASIC energy card?

Another thing, it is true that darkness and metal energy types can NEVER add to Rainbow Burn's damage, right.

Last edited:
actually, 'pop is right as it currently stands because there are currently no basic energy cards for Metal and Dark. If those cards were ever printed, then they WOULD add damage.

Last edited:
Which will never happen.

(Oops, now it will happen because I always get dinged when I say things like that ;))

Back