Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Easy Music Instruments to Learn?

Regis_Neo

So here's a random question...I've always had a desire while growing up to learn how to play an instrument, but I/family never had the money while growing up to afford lessons or anything, so that interest got shelved pretty much. Now though, with a job and stuff I can afford things, like trying out instrument playing :lol:

Anyways, my main question is what are some of the easier ones to learn without needing a tutor or something? I really can't fit in any lessons in a 40 hour work week at the moment, so are there some basic easy ones out there that one can pick up fairly easy on their own with several hours practice a week or so? Like for example, I really like violins, but I know that's largely something impractical to pick up properly without lessons and such (not to mention expense), so yeah...any suggestions fellow gym members?

Yeah, the recorder's really good, and you might be able to pick up the piano as well if you found a good book or two.

I play both the piano and violin and yes, the violin is quite hard to learn (this is my third year and I still struggle XD). But piano, or keyboard, is quite easy to pickup. I'd say the best way to learn it is by familiarizing yourself with the notes and the keys, then learning simple stuff via YouTube tutorials. Later on, try learning songs that you enjoy listening to, that'll keep you motivated to learn. After all, there are few things that are as easy and impressive as playing hardcore pop/rock music on a piano.

Last edited:
^Yeah, that's what I was trying to say (I play the viola in my fifth year, and still haven't learned to do everything, so I didn't bother mentioning it), but you said it much better

I'd say start with either piano, recorder or guitar tabs if you have no prior music experience. They will teach you the basics, like notes, chords, rhythm, dynamics, etc and there are plenty of beginner level resources on youtube and other parts of the internet. You should be able to play a simple song pretty quickly and from there its just a matter of practicing so that your muscles can perform more difficult things.
Once you get the basic music theory down, its pretty simple to transition to a new instrument. All you need to do is practice to get your muscles and technique working for the new one.
One thing I should mention: bad habits are hard to break. They get into your muscle memory and are difficult to get rid of. If you just want to play music for your own enjoyment its not a big deal if you have some bad habits in your technique. But if you ever want to get really good or perform, you might consider getting a teacher. Even if you see a teacher just one hour a week they can help stop bad habits before they start and really push you to be better than you thought you could be.
Posted with Mobile style...

well, if you're thinking about playing along to songs, i can recommend the guitar wholeheartedly. Wheather you want to stick around with playing chords or get into the more advanced techniques, such as scales, is totally up to you.
Posted with Mobile style...

As an avid musician of many years and indeed an orchestral member I jumped with excitement when I saw someone wanting to learn to play an instrument! It's really a great pastime.

Let's keep this short. Play the ukelele. It's happy pills on steroids. Pull it out and everyone smiles. It's also the easiest instrument in the book to learn (except maybe the tambourine). It doesn't require much tuning at all and it's much easier on the hands if you haven't played an instrument like guitar or violin before (I assume you haven't by your intro). Also, you can buy a ukelele for about 50 bucks and it will actually be decent. Sure, a good uke is about $600 plus but a standard one for 50 bucks is still surprisingly good. They also come in happy colors - green, red, blue, yellow. Mine's in pink. Don't judge. It's happy.

tl;dr The ukelele. Happy pills on steroids.

I'm rather partial to the piano. Easy to learn, nearly impossible to master. But Poprocks just sound amazing coming out of it. A good 88-key electric will run you $500, but a 4-octave piano might only go for $100.

Recorder is so easy that they can teach it to 4th graders inside of a semester. Completely. And they're cheap as anything.

I don't know how difficult the drums are, but it seems like they only require a good sense of timing and rhythm. They are bloody expensive, though, for a good set.

I'm rather partial to the piano. Easy to learn, nearly impossible to master. But Poprocks just sound amazing coming out of it. A good 88-key electric will run you $500, but a 4-octave piano might only go for $100.

Recorder is so easy that they can teach it to 4th graders inside of a semester. Completely. And they're cheap as anything.

I don't know how difficult the drums are, but it seems like they only require a good sense of timing and rhythm. They are bloody expensive, though, for a good set.

4 octaves usually aren't worth it unless you go all out and buy a synthesizer. Otherwise you get some crummy quality thing without touch (ie one of the major points of pianos is being able to change volume depending on how hard you hit the keys, not with a volume knob).

@pf5, why not Taiko Drumming? XD

I know I didn't mention it, but we do technically have a piano that's been in the family for the last 80+ years or so I'd say, but it's horribly out of tune and probably would cost a very pretty penny to get back to working status. So yeah...mind you I'd love to learn the piano as well, but it's not really practical.

Ukelele, eh. My brother picked up one and has what I think are the basics down on it, I never cared for it that that much. Kinda too happy sounding to me.

I would recommend the bass guitar. Very fun, relatively easy (imo), thought can get somewhat pricey if you want a good guitar and amp.

I am personally a bassist and a drummer, 5 years on drums and 3 on bass. Drums you need a wicked good sense of rhythm and can get rather pricey. If you are interested, buy a practice pad or snare drum to start out, and get some lessons.

If you are serious and are looking into a drumset, I have to recommend the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 4 piece kit. (link to the set here). very reliable, nice sounding, sturdy.

Tuning a piano probably won't cost an incredible amount. Maybe $200 at most. If you've got one, use it!

Back