Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Electivire Lv X

V1c10u5

If my opponent has a Toxicroak G, and I have an Electivire Lv, X and use Pulse Barrier, does it discard an energy gain attached to Toxicroak?

Last edited:
At least something has to be discarded for effects to be prevented. If nothing is discarded then no effects will be prevented.

However, the attack says "discard your opponents tools and stadiums," not "discard tools attached to your opponent's pokemon."

Therefore, I believe it would be discarded, because the effect accrues to your opponent, not the Toxicroak.

Last edited:
No, the effect is very much on Toxicroak G, because the Tool that is being discarded by the attack is attached to it, and therefore Pulse Barrier runs right into Anticipation. It is just like the ruling on Pachirisu's Smash Short. No attack in the game can pry Tools off Toxicroak G, just like no attack in the game can pry Unown G off a Pokemon. The effect is not on your opponent because you are doing the actions directly to their Pokemon.

If the opponent has any other Tools in play on other Pokemon (aside from benched Toxicroak Gs), or if they have a Stadium in play, then Electivire lv. X does get complete immunity during the opponent's next turn. Otherwise, the Tool stays on Toxicroak G and the attack simply does its 50 damage, with no effect.

I personally believe that ruling is based upon a debatable overextension of the definition of 'effects of an attack'. The attack does nothing to Toxicroak (except damage), All the effects are on the opponent. That's what the card text says. I believe it should still discard the Energy Gain.

Ya you can't take away toxicroak's energy.

Livinglax, I believe you mean Energy Gain.

Last edited:
I personally believe that ruling is based upon a debatable overextension of the definition of 'effects of an attack'.

If we're going to argue definitions, how do the game rules specifically state that an Energy Card is attached to a Pokemon, in terms of its relationship to that Pokemon? Do you believe that Unown G prevents Remove Lost from stripping Energy? What's the definition of a PokeTool, and how is its bond to the Pokemon it's attached to defined?

For reference:
Discard all of your opponent's Pokémon Tool cards and Stadium cards in play. If you do, prevent all effects, including damage, done to Electivire during your opponent's next turn.

The compendium has this ruling:

Q. If Electivire Lv.X uses "Pulse Barrier" to discard tools against a Defending Pokemon with Unown-G's "GUARD" attached, does the Unown-G get discarded or does "GUARD" prevent that effect?
A. The Unown-G would prevent Pulse Barrier's effect of discarding tools, so it would stay attached. But Unown-G does not prevent any tools attached to other Pokemon from being discarded. (Mar 20, 2008 PUI Rules Team)

So, essentially, we're debating this ruling.

I personally believe that ruling is based upon a debatable overextension of the definition of 'effects of an attack'.

You're free to debate it all you want. You're also free to be completely wrong.

Anything that affects a card attached to a Pokemon affects that Pokemon. That is the rule both here and in Japan. The Rules Team here doesn't just make up rulings on the spot -- everything is verified with the team that designs the Japanese game.

Back