Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Emerging Powers Prerelease Stories

ShiningLion

I just thought it would be fun to start a thread where anyone can share fun stories or just general reactions to the recent prerelease tournament for Emerging Powers.

This was my first prerelease, and I really enjoyed it. I thought I'd be thoroughly disappointed with this new set after seeing the set list online last week, but I'll admit that I was pleasantly surprised by what I got today for the 25 bucks I spent.

The reverse holos are just beautiful, and even though this set lacks many pokemon with great attacks or abilities, a lot of them are just fun to play even though they aren't going to change the format. Lots of them are also just really pretty and have great art.

I snagged both foil and reverse foil zoroarks just because he's a favorite of mine and I liked the art. Better attacks would have been a bonus, but like I said, spending 25 bucks and having the opportunity to trade with lots of other people who didn't necessarily want the same cards as me was really a treat. I ended up getting almost every card I wanted from this set. Now I just need to work on multiples of a few. The three legendary beasts terrakion, cobalion, and virizion were surprisingly common and really fun to play. I managed to get 2 Terrakions and a Cobalion in my packs alone, and traded someone to get Virizion.

Thundurus and Tornadus seemed a little more elusive, especially the full art versions.

As for the tournament gameplay itself, I lost my first match (it was very close!), won my second, and lost my third. They didn't bracket winners against each other or anything. Just 3 matches with a random person each time. No real emphasis on winning, which I think is what made the event fun and fair considering some lucky people got some pretty beefy booster packs in terms of good cards.

I was disappointed we didn't get sleeves and got the flimsy boxes. They look great, but I could use more sleeves a lot more than a new box, and I was very lucky to have had enough extra sleeves to sleeve my new cards before playing. I felt a little jipped in that regard though, because a lot of people were having to go up and buy new packs of sleeves because they didn't have enough extras and wanted to protect their new cards. I think any prerelease should include sleeves simply because you need them to protect your new cards during the tournament.

Overall, I am more impressed with this new set than I thought I'd be. Yay for that. I'll be watching for good deals on individual cards though, as I don't think I'll be wanting to buy too many more Emerging Powers booster packs. I'd much rather just finish up the sets I really need and not end up with a plethora of unwanted cards.

Its actually a great set for the limited format. I had 2 Prerelease in one day, and even though one started 1/2-1hr late, (Don't ask..) it was a great day. Sawk was the MVP of the event for me. Me and my family combined pulled the entire set in the two so that was good. Only thing was pulling NO Gothitelle, and having to trade for one after the event.

I really wish we had more prerelease tournaments!!

I told some of my friends that my good buddy winston would win the prerelease days before the event. One of them piped up saying I couldn't pick a winner in a prerelease format then Winston went on to 3-0 the event to win so jokes
Posted with Mobile style...

It was also my first pre-release and I had a lot of fun! I managed to pull a FA Thundurus and a regular one in my boosters so I can't complain about that. I went 2-1, which is honestly much better than I ever expected to do. I don't absolutely love this set, but it has a couple of cute things. Also, my gf went with me and she had a blast. She's not into the game as much as my roommate and I are, but she thoroughly enjoyed the pre-release and likes the set a lot, so here's hoping we can suck her in lol. Also, she managed to pull a FA Thundurus, a RH Cheren, a Crushing Hammer and a Catcher. I'm very happy for her.

I'm certainly looking forward to the next pre-release in my area!

I went 5-0 absolutly destroying the competition ;-)

4-2 Bertric + 2 sawk + 1 Audino + 1-1 Semisear + 2 Darmanatan's basic + 1-1 Gothorita + 1 Emogla + Basculine (flail) + Sygolith (reflect) + 8 water + 3 fire + 3 psychic + 3 fighting + 2 recycle + 1 catcher + 1 Crushing Hammer + 1 Bianca

I had Bertric out every game by t4 or 5, altho I only got to use Bianca once for one card.

I also managed to leave the even with 45 Beta codes giving up some RHs and crappy rares.

I ran 1 Thundurus, 1 Tornadus, 5 Klangs, and 53 energies. I went 2-1. Also, my round 2 opponent (JackP) was running 1 Thundurus, 2 Power Spray, and 1 Gigalith that you aren't allowed to use and I beat him after he 40 pile shuffled twice and got 70,000,000 mulligans and we started playing after time was called and we basically held up the tournament. He also power sprayed my attacks and evolved Thundurus to Gigalith.

I got no catchers but the packs I got were okay. I went with a friend who dressed up as a Team Plasma member. We took an awesome picture of him facing off against a Pokemon trainer and someone with a professor coat. Those old Burger King pokeballs are great for pictures like these. Audino ruled the prerelease, I managed to trade mine away for some good cards.

I felt like I got fairly lucky... I managed two Catchers. (Didn't get to trade for any since EVERYONE wanted them!) I also got a reverse holo Beartic (Sheer Cold one) that I kept.

I traded the regular holo Tornadus and the ability Gothitelle that I got.

Tournament went much like my first tiny tournament.... 1-2 and kept failing to draw any of the cards I needed at any given time. Just reminds me of why I appreciate well built decks. :)

It was also my first prerelease, which I enjoyed. Looking forward to the next one!

I went 3-1 at my Prerelease on Sunday. I pulled some pretty crappy cards (2x Simipour and 2x Unfezant with no Panpour!) but did pull 3x Basculin (Final Gambit), 1x Audino, and 1x Virizion, and a 2-2 Swadloon line (which I hardly used). The best card I pulled was a Pokemon Catcher.

I traded for a Sheer Cold Beartic, some Cubchoos, and a bunch of staples (like Junipers, Cleffas, and Junk Arms) so I'm happy. I also nabbed 32x online codes. :thumb:

I went to the afternoon prerelease at Worlds, so it was already a memorable experience :biggrin:. The final TCG matches were going on at the same time though, so about half the people in my flight dropped by round 2 (out of 4). The projector screens were big enough that I could see the Top 2 matches from the prerelease area, so I stayed and ended up 3-1. I'm pretty sure most games were played sideways while we watched the screens. The one card that saved my deck was Lilligant. All 3 of my wins were because of that card. My second round opponent only got to attack twice because I kept flipping heads on Bemusing Aroma, though it didn't seem as big of a deal with the finalists duking it out in the same room. Pulled no Catchers but got a reverse Great Ball which still distracts me with its foil pattern.

This was my second prerelease, the first being Undaunted, so I had not yet seen any of the new deck boxes. After all the fuss I had seen on forums I expected them to be like the cardboard ones that were in some of the theme decks. I was thus pleasantly surprised at how sturdy they actually turned out to be. Granted, I too would like to see a return to sleeves, but the boxes are cool nonetheless.

In the prerelease, I pulled junk. All I pulled was a 3-2-1 line of Gigalith, so I wrecked face with that. Then I went into the booster draft, and proceeded to pull even more junk, but this time i ended up with a 7-4-1 line of Gigalith, and wrecked the field with it.
Posted with Mobile style...

Back