Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Energy/Attack & Discard - Boost Energy & Charizards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkTyranitar

Aquapolis' Boost Energy reads:
"Boost Energy can be attached only to an Evolved Pokemon.
Discard Boost Energy at the end of the turn it was attached.
Boost Energy provides (3 Colorless) Energy. The Pokemon
Boost Energy is attached to can't retreat.
When the Pokemon Boost Energy is attached to is no longer an Evolved Pokemon, discard Boost Energy."

Base & Legendary Charizard's "Pokemon Power: Energy Burn" reads:
"As often as you like during your turn (before you attack), you may
turn all Energy attached to Charizard into (FIRE) Energy for the rest of the turn.
This power can't be used if Charizard is affected by a Special Condition."

Their Fire Spin Attack reads:
"Discard 2 Energy cards attached to Charizard or this attack does nothing."

Expedition Charizard's Poke-POWER "Burning Energy" reads:
"Once during your turn (before you attack), you may turn all basic Energy
attached to all of your Pokemon into (FIRE) Energy for the rest of your turn. This power can't be used if Charizard is affected by a Special Condition."

Its Scorching Whirlwind attack reads:
"Flip 2 coins. If 1 of them is tails, discard 2 Energy cards attached to Charizard. If both are tails, discard all Energy cards attached to Charizard."

Now, my first question is if I can combine the cost of discarding Boost Energy with the discard costs using the Charizards' attacks? My thoughts on this is "No, both requirements must be met. So, I would have to have at least 2 (basic) energy cards attached to the Legendary Charizard (for example) in addition to 1 Boost Energy card in order to use his Fire Spin attack."

A second question is if I can even use Boost Energy on the Expedition Charizard, since it's Poke-POWER indicates that the only Energy that can be converted into Fire are basic energy, (which Boost Energy is not one of, correct?)

Thanks.

- Tony

Last edited:
DarkTyranitar said:
Now, my first question is if I can combine the cost of discarding Boost Energy with the discard costs using the Charizards' attacks? My thoughts on this is "No, both requirements must be met. So, I would have to have at least 2 (basic) energy cards attached to the Legendary Charizard (for example) in addition to 1 Boost Energy card in order to use his Fire Spin attack."

You can attach Boost Energy, use Base Charizard's Energy Burn to make it Fire, attack with Fire Spin, which requires you discard two energy cards, discard the Boost Energy and one other card. The fact that Boost Energy is no longer there at the end of the turn to discard per the requirement on the Boost Energy card does not matter.

DarkTyranitar said:
A second question is if I can even use Boost Energy on the Expedition Charizard, since it's Poke-POWER indicates that the only Energy that can be converted into Fire are basic energy, (which Boost Energy is not one of, correct?)

You answered your own question - Burning Energy will not convert a Boost Energy to a Fire Energy because it is not a Basic Energy.

BDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back