Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Energy Switch

Dro~

I wonder why this card is not played alot. IMO this card is under-rated. It's very useful and can surprise your opponent if played probably. Let's say you have a benched cleffa that has a grass basic energy attached to it. Then you play a promo scyther and attach a grass energy to it and then use energy switch and transfer the grass energy from cleffa to scyther. Now scyther can do 40x2=80 damage to feraligatr the first turn you play it. :eek:

Dro~ said:
I wonder why this card is not played alot. IMO this card is under-rated. It's very useful and can surprise your opponent if played probably. Let's say you have a benched cleffa that has a grass basic energy attached to it. Then you play a promo scyther and attach a grass energy to it and then use energy switch and transfer the grass energy from cleffa to scyther. Now scyther can do 40x2=80 damage to feraligatr the first turn you play it. :eek:
That would only work the third turn, as Scyther requires 3 Energy to attack. However, it is very useful with Pokémon that can't have Energy attached from your hand to them, such as the Legendary Pokémon from the E-sets. I have a deck specifically designed to circumnavigate the Powers, using Togetic, Energy Switch, etc.

Energy Switch is not a bad card by any means, but there are reasons it's not used too much.
#1. It cannot move Special Energy like Metal or Darkness, and they are the ones you'd be more likely to want to move somewhere.
#2. You would have to spend space in your deck to move a single Energy card. Now, moving that Energy may help you out, but there's much better ways to take space than moving 1 Energy.
But, given you use it right, you are right, it can be quite useful, especially with the Legendary Pokemon from Aquapolis and Skyridge...

Last edited:
I find it useful in decks that have more than two types of basic energy, yet not a lot of each kind, so that when a card is used earlier in play to pay an attack cost, but is needed later on a different card to pay a more powerful attack cost, it can be moved.

The best part of energy switch is that it can surprise your opponent. Once when I played with my cousin, he used an energy switch on a growlithe that had already had 1 energy, then he attach a DCE, evolved to base arcanine and dealed 80 damage the 2nd turn he played growlithe.

Back