Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Equality for all? Blind Players and Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaVelocibot

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
An interesting idea came up in a thread I was in, quite by mistake, actually... Do you believe it would be fair for players who are legally blind allowed to have some sort of Braille allowed on their own cards? To be more specific, the idea I had was card sleeves that are perfectly fine on the back side, following all specifications, but on the front (clear) side, had Braille on it, perhaps the name and attacks, or something of that sort, somehow printed on it. Would such be allowed to a blind player, or is it too much in danger of "marked cards"?

On a side note, are blind players allowed a "seeing-eye person" to relay to them information of the status of the game they are playing in, able to relay when asked any public knowledge available to the extent that a normal player would have?

I actually thought of a system to allow blind people to play TCGs s a long time ago; I guess now would be a good time to post it.

It would require:
  • A portable data storage device (like a computer, or maybe even iPod)
  • Headphones
  • A program that contains a list of all available cards and their text. It can be used to create decks, and it can randomize cards.

The player would show up to a match with these things. The program would contain the deck, and would allow the player to give commands to the program, parallel to actions that occur in the game. It would record the current game state (damage counters, hand size, prizes, etc.). The contents of his hand (or deck when he must search his deck) would be given to him as audio output from the program.

I think something like this wouldn't be too hard to make. However, I wonder, what kind of blind people would be attracted to a TCG? Card art is one of the selling points of TCGs. Of course, if you're talking about players who already play the game and then become blind, I could understand. Some people would still want to play. And of course, some people play just for the game mechanics. Interesting topic

Last edited:
On a side note, are blind players allowed a "seeing-eye person" to relay to them information of the status of the game they are playing in, able to relay when asked any public knowledge available to the extent that a normal player would have?

Why not, but the problem would be: the "extra eyes" would have to speak out loud which cards are in the disabled player it's hand. And therefor revealing information to the opponent also.
It's like playing with open hand.

Why not, but the problem would be: the "extra eyes" would have to speak out loud which cards are in the disabled player it's hand. And therefor revealing information to the opponent also.
It's like playing with open hand.
Hence the reason why I wondered if the card sleeves could somehow be marked on the front side of them. It would be like that, and that is a disadvantage to the blind player...

I would just worry about the player holding them backwards and not knowing it if unmarked. I know some sleeves have slight curvature, but still...

Although i can understand that blind ppls have the right to play tcg, but it would consume too much time. If they wanna know abt the conditions of the game, they would have to heard from either his/her opponnent or the earphone (takes like 2 mins everytime?)

Only way I could see that working was if it was some sort of computer program kind of like apprentice and was plugged into head phones so if said blind person clicked on a card it would only tell him what the card was ( because if all the cards had to be announced to this said blind person the said blind person would be at an even bigger disadvantage.... ) I'm sure there could be a way but it would be rather difficult...

Realistically, there are just too many issues. Youd have to somehow arrange braille or something in a way that the ards weren't considered marked, and an electronic simulator of the game would definitely not be allowed (maybe a carddex though). The only real way for a blind person to play a trading card game on any serious level of play is if they take it upon themselves to memorize 95% of the most used cards and also be able to memorize opponent's card text and the entire gamestate during a match without having time issues. You can't constantly ask for your opponent to tell you your third benched Pokemon's retreat cost and where all the energy's attached, things that a quick glance would take care of.
On top of that, it would be iincredibly easy for the blind player to get cheated, not that cheating's common in Pokemon, but it could even be an accident, not mentioning that you attached an energy or something. If, in order for you to compete, each of your opponents has the responsibility of telling you their every move as they do it, it doesn't seem reasonable to let you compete. thats too big a responsibility to put on an entire group of people for the sake of one person. And what if they mess up and don't mention something? Stuff gets really complicated. Basically, it's not foolproof.

I am a player from Australia who has severe low vision AND profoudly deafness.

I still have vision but I can see what I am doing with an acceptable distance and still need to read the card a bit closely but still, I can recognise a card image from an amazing distance up to 60cm. My hearing does not rly disrupt the game but usually happen during rulings issues. 'Nuff said.

but still, blind players are not a good idea to be in the game...unless they have vision. lol

Last edited:
What if they like strategy games?

Then they'll play chess.I'm sure they have a good system for blind people.

I wouldn't think they would be attracted to something that would be difficult/awkward for them to do.Unless they were a player before they went blind, I doubt they would be intrested.

Coming from a view of someone know hangs around a blind person a lot, I find this near impossible and definitely improbable.

You assume that all blind people know how to read Braile. Some people become blind from freak accidents or over time and thus aren't taught braile in their lifetime.

Chess =/= Pokemon. In Chess, everything is visible on the board. For many blind people, they don't even need to feel the board, as they can just see the picture of it in the mind and play the game in their head. In Pokemon though, things change quickly and you don't know what is in your opponents hand. Every turn multiple things can change so the blind person would have to ask about anything that has changed. The opponent would have to call everything he/she was doing perfectly. The blind person would also have to ask about both player's decks each turn since decking is a way to win in this game.

In the end, the game is too complicated and the board changes so much in one turn that it might be hard for a person to remember everything correctly. This includes what is in the blind person's hand, what cards on on his/her side of the field and was cards are on his or her opponent's side of the field.

To quote George Bush, "not gunna happen..."

It isn't the idea of some blind person randomly walking into a store and wanting to play the P:TCG that worries me as much as a devoted player losing his or her vision from some sort of accident or disease. Life without Pokemon? Ugh!

It isn't the idea of some blind person randomly walking into a store and wanting to play the P:TCG that worries me as much as a devoted player losing his or her vision from some sort of accident or disease. Life without Pokemon? Ugh!
Concurred.

Now, none of us would ever want to say "too bad" to any disabled person. However, Pokemon TCG is to the blind as music is to the deaf (bar Beethoven): something they physically cannot do. Producing specific sets of Pokemon TCG cards in braille would be too costly to the company, for a market that doesn't even exist.

Of course you could always punch braille into your own cards for casual play...

I am a player from Australia who has severe low vision AND profoudly deafness.

I still have vision but I can see what I am doing with an acceptable distance and still need to read the card a bit closely but still, I can recognise a card image from an amazing distance up to 60cm. My hearing does not rly disrupt the game but usually happen during rulings issues. 'Nuff said.

but still, blind players are not a good idea to be in the game...unless they have vision. lol

There was that time at nationals where you walked into a pole... >.>

i feelp for the poor player who became blind
but as was pointed out, the issue and cumbersomeness of the entire thing would be just to much for realistic organized play
still, finding a way to be able to have the handicapped enjoy what most people have is admirable...

Of course you could always punch braille into your own cards for casual play...

This will go under the Marked Cards. He or she can be shuffling and can only tell what cards. Who to say they will put the card they need on top. Thats out of the question. Something has to be done with the rules or going around them just not to much

Another thing. They should add a Handicap Section to the Rule & Resurces.

It would be a disadvantage to the blind person.. someone plays bill maintenance, but doesn't shuffle a card into their deck, the blind opponent wouldn't know... there would need to be a judge presiding over each match(do-able) because i really cannot see leaving the game if you had an accident and lost your vision.. i would hate it. But a blind person who never played getting involved in a tcg... would be rare, but i can see accomidations(SP?) and special things being allowed for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back