Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Evosoda and Pokemon with unprinted evolutions

Asclepius24

A similar question was recently asked but I was hoping to get further clarification. Could Evosoda be played if you only have something like or Mewtwo EX or even Mewtwo in play? Both of these Pokemon do evolve, but their evolutions have not been printed.

On one hand, I know that Zapdos, Dragonite, and Trevenant EX are not valid "targets" because none of them have an evolution and the game knows this. On the other, Eevee's Energy Evolution allows a search following the attachment of a Fighting Energy when a) there is no printed Fighting-type Eeveelution and b) no such Eeveelution exists in the Pokemon universe.

I suppose part of my question boils down to whether the game knows whether a Pokemon evolves in the Pokemon universe (in which case Mewtwo EX is a valid target) or whether the game knows if a particular evolution has been printed (so Mewtwo EX is not a valid target because M-Mewtwo X hasn't been printed). If it's the first, could I play Evosoda even if I had just a regular Mewtwo in play?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back