Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

EX: DS Pre-Release Tournament Report(s)

lev

Since it’s my very first Pokémon Pre-release and since I love to write things that aren’t really worth, here is my report! Alright! I come from France, and there we haven’t got any real support from POP as our LD is … well, sleeping or on holidays I guess. So I was pretty excited to live in the UK because it is a little better organised. As I live in Edinburgh now I went to the Falkirk Delta Species Pre-release. Here we go!

DAY 1

10.00: The Great Journey!

I met Pokeguru at the Waverley station. This is a very nice guy, as he is very concerned about Pokémon in Scotland. He is very helpful for me, so I thank him. Anyway he’s such a bad player that… Don’t worry Cole I’m kidding :p We had some games in the train. He lent me a deck and he played ***** (censored, I don’t want to spoil anything for his CCs ^_^”). Actually he won… 3 games out of three. Quite disappointing! I don’t want to play against him anymore!! ;-)

11.00: Registration

We arrived at the tournament venue and I met the players… It’s been a while since I haven’t played in a tournament so I’m happy to find such an atmosphere again! We’re just about to play, I just need to give money to the TO (that’s weird, isn’t it?!). We’re 8, it’s not that much but we still can compete. I do hope that tomorrow the attendance will increase!

11.30: Get Ready for Kung-Fu Fighting!

The tournament can start properly. I was in a hurry to open my boosters. I opened 2 Espeon, Dragonite, Azurill, Szellow, Slowking, and two reverse holo cards (Starmie & Sunny Castform). As for the uncommon and common cards, it is not that bad (except for grass – 3 Zubat, 1 Koffing – and fighting – 3 Makurita). I’ll finally play (I’ll explain the cards throughout my report):

3 Trainers:

2 Switch (Never used it)
Great Ball

20 Pokémon:

2 Dratini (No Dragonair, it’s a shame, I can’t use my Dragonite!)
2 Beldum
Metang (Never used it – 20 or 30 for 2, 50 for 2L)
Holon’s Voltorb (Only used it as an Energy Card)
2 Meowth
Persian
2 Porygon
2 Staryu
Starmie
Cubone (Never used it – 10 for 1, Rage for 2)
5 Ditto (Pikachu, Mr. Mime, Charmender, 2 Squirtle)

17 Energies:

9 Lightening
8 Water

I mostly focused on the Ditto line, and on my basic Pokémon’s ability to deal 30 damage. My deck is built, and I’m ready to fight!

12.00: 1st Round VS… Cole!

I told you I didn’t want to play against him anymore! Well, I’m obliged to do it, here we go. I started with a Staryu (10 for 1, 20 for 1W). I had a Persian in hand (Power: when it comes into play, I can search for any one card in my deck – 30 damage to any opponent’s Pokémon for 2), but no Meowth. Fortunately I drew my Great Ball, so with Persian I searched for Starmie (20 for W, 50 for 3) who gave me 3 prizes. Then I sent Persian for the game. Now Cole hates me :p

1-0

12.30: 2nd Round VS Gordon’s daughter

She started with Ralts (Draw a card for 1, 10 or 30 for 2), and I had a “Mr. Mime” Ditto. That’s good because I can collect and then attack by copying Ralts’s attacks! When Ditto had 40 damage I “duplicated” it for the “Charmender” Ditto (10+10 for each damage counter on Ditto), and I won the game like this. I love you Ditto!

2-0

13.00: 3rd Round VS Gordon’s son

I was kind of scared playing against him because I knew he had a Vaporeon EX which is pretty hard to KO! He started with two Caterpie I guess (10 and may paralyze for 1), and I had Dratini active (10 for 1, 30 and may inflict 10 to itself for 1L – Resistance to Grass). Basically he dealt no damage but kept paralyzing my Dratini for 4 turns. So we both set-up a little while waiting for my Dratini to recover :p Then I sent my Ditto, and I kept “duplicating” with the “Pikachu” one (40 for 1L, but you have to discard all cards), the “Charmender” one and the “Squirtle” one (20 and you can remove up to 3 counters on Ditto for 1W) just to hit my opponent’s weaknesses. That worked! I love you even more little Ditto ^_^”

3-0

13.30: 4th Round VS Gordon

OK so I’m playing against the whole family! I began with my Ditto Strategy but he had… Rayqueza *cough*. That sounds bad, 90HP for a basic Pokémon (Body: if any Holon Energy is attached to Ray, ignore the 2nd attack effect – 10 damage times the number of Energy cards attached to Ray for L, 70 damage and put 70 damage on Ray for 2LM). He firstly attached a Fighting energy, then I copied its first attack with Ditto, then he attached a Double Rainbow Energy (well, Holon’s Magnemite can be treated as a Double Rainbow Energy card if you return to your hand one Energy card attached to the Pokémon when you attach it from your hand). I made a terrible mistake because I duplicated my Ditto into a “Squirtle”, but Ray resists to Water and Squirtle is weak to Lightning (Ray is both Metal and L…). I think it’s the worst mistake ever :p After that I couldn’t do anything, I just did 60 thanks to Porygon (30 for 2), because Ray is weak to Colorless. Besides he attached a Holon Energy to Ray so basically he did 70 every turn without putting any damage counters on his Pokémon for its 2nd attack. He was incredibly lucky when he opened his boosters!! :p good game though!

3-1

14.00: Tournament ends!

Here are the rankings… and I’m first, though we are 3 people with 9 points. That was definitely a good tournament, well run by the TO, fun because of the kids, though the attendance was a little disappointing… I won 4 more boosters and 2 POP S2 as every player. I also won two pins (DS Pre-Release and one that says “You won AHAHAHAHA” -__-”) and a poster (it will be nice in my room… err… ^_^”).

14.30: Back to Edinburgh with Cole… and I lost again! Damn! See you tomorrow guys for another exciting report of the DS Pre-release that will be blah blah blah snore snore… ^_^”

DAY 2

10.00 : Modified Tournament!

Cole lent me his Scizor/Metagross/Pidgeot deck, but I made some slight changes though as I wanted it to be more consistant. He ran a 2-2 Ninetails (Safeguard) line which I didn't like at all, so I ran a 1-1 line and 2 more drawing trainers. Here we go!

1st Round VS err... sorry

Bad Memory! I'm very sorry but I can't remember anything though I won... I know it's bad... Sorry again...

1-0

2nd Round VS Gordon's son (I can't remember your name, I don't know why!)

He played a Dark deck (Rocket's Persian EX, Dark Dragonite, Dark Electrode). I had a horrible start, but his start wasn't good neither. He began with a Rocket's Meowth, and attached a R Energy to it for a Miraculous Comeback (only 3 Pokémon in play...). I still don't know why he did that, because though I had only one Pokémon in play, he couldn't OTKO it... I drew some more cards thanks to Steven's Advice, and was then able to build my pokémon a bit. He managed to build a Dark Dragonite with 4 Darkness Energy on it. But then I looked for a Crystal Shard with Pidgeot to OTKO his Dark Dragonite. Since then he couldn't really recover...

2-0

3rd Round VS Paul

That was a really quick game! I started with a Scyther and he had a Voltorb Active. I could only search for another Scyther, and he "recharged" his Voltorb. Then I drew... an Energy, and nothing to draw in hand. He evolved Voltorb into Dark Electrode, and kept dealing me 30 each turn without any benched Pokémon. I tried to use Agility, but I failed twice... And I drew a Scott, but... too late! So I guess he had a dark Electrode deck... :biggrin:

2-1

4th Round VS Owen

He played a grass deck, with Meganium EX. My start was really bad, but since I had a lot of draw power in hand that was OK. He built his Meganium rather rapidly, KOed on of my basic, but I had time to build my Scizor EX (which resists to grass, eheh!) with 2 Metal Energies. So basically he attacked me for... 10 and Poison (though it should normally be 90 and Poison :biggrin: ). I put an Island Cave so I can easily recover from Poison and from then on I just kept using Scizor EX. He only played Grass Pokémon, so...

3-1

Results

Cole went first thanks to his Eeveelution deck! I went second, and Paul 3rd, though he beat me... I got two POP1 booster packs as well as a token. And now you're telling yourself "A TOKEN?!?". They have a very nice token system here : each token can be changed for a booster pack, a holo card, and if you have a lot of them, you can trade them for EXes and bigger prizes!! That's really nice!

12.00 : 2nd Prerelease tournament!

I'm not going to get through the tournament. I'll just say that I did not have a bunch of Ditto as the day before (very sad, I love 'em...). But I had a Vaporeon EX, Rayquaza (but no Metal, nor Double Rainbow...), and lots of shiny cards (that shiiiiiiiiiines, it's so beautiful, I'm dazzled... :tongue:). I went 3rd this time, ex-aequo with Cole (exactly tied!!!). We had to play together to determine who will have the poster, but I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO nice I decided to let him win... I'm too kind... :biggrin:

I'd like to thank Cole, 'cause he's a great guy, he helped me a lot! And I'd like to thank the TO for running such cool events! I'm looking forward having even more fun!

:clap:

Last edited:
I declair you, sir ditto. Thou has made enemy with the shiny dragon people though, ouch on that

My excuse: I couldn't get the energy. :tongue:

GJ, Fred on your first UK tourney. He did pretty well in his repeat performance today in our 2nd prerelease and our modified tournament. Hax0r! Just waiting for the next installment. I'll post my report soon, then. :biggrin:

Almost everyone in the room in PR one got a Ditto as their 1st card when they opened their first booster. I got the pikachu one. :biggrin:

I did a lot with the Ditto's as well. I got the normal one with Energy Absorb, 10+ energy from discard to Ditto. And when I went second, I used one of the Holon supporters to discard an energy card, and then 2nd turn searched for the Pikachu Ditto (40 for 2) and could often knock out the opponent's active by turn 2.

But we could only play 4 Ditto's in our deck! It said so in the pre-release info our TO had received! Weird...

Anyway, congrats about getting first, well done!

Fireborn said:
I did a lot with the Ditto's as well. I got the normal one with Energy Absorb, 10+ energy from discard to Ditto. And when I went second, I used one of the Holon supporters to discard an energy card, and then 2nd turn searched for the Pikachu Ditto (40 for 2) and could often knock out the opponent's active by turn 2.

But we could only play 4 Ditto's in our deck! It said so in the pre-release info our TO had received! Weird...

Anyway, congrats about getting first, well done!

That shouldn't be right...you're not restricted by the "only 4 copies" rule that you're forced to play by in regular modified.

Still waiting for lev's 2nd prerelase report... :biggrin:

EDIT: Noticed it...yeah, i'll update mine tonight.

Last edited:
Two rule-breaks that anyone should have noticed.
1. You can only play 4 Ditto.
2. Gordon played Rayquaza *?[EDIT] Oh, I see. You mistyped. It's Rayquaza d.

Question, did you get any Eevee? I mean, with TWO Espeon d...

Last edited:
Fireborn said:

Weird, indeed...

Anyway here's the second part of my fantastic WE! Enjoy :tongue:

Nobody wants to tell how their Prereleases were? :frown: Do that please, for meee... :smile: :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenForces
Two rule-breaks that anyone should have noticed.
1. You can only play 4 Ditto.
This is not a rule break. I pre-releases, as you only get 6 packs to build a deck, there is a chance of getting more then 4 cards of the same name. You are allowed to play any number of cards that you get (as long as it doesn't go over the 40 deck limit).

Last edited:
Its only limited that you can use more then 4 cards. Everything else IS only 4 cards.

quote from http://www.op.pokemon-tcg.com/tournaments/pdfs/2005-2006_Official_Formats.pdf coming from http://www.op.pokemon-tcg.com/tournaments/rules_n_resources.asp

In a limited event, players construct their decks using only cards provided by the Tournament Organizer at the event. Each player's deck must contain exactly 40 cards at all times. Decks may contain more then 4 copies of a single card, as defined by the card's English title.

Last edited:
I don't buy it. I'll ask at my pre, but I seriously doubt it. What if someone pulled 6 Jolteon EX, eh?

You could use them all yes. As long as you are able to play them eg 6 eevees or some other way to play evole forms.

And the fact some pulls out 6 ex's in 6 packs is very unlikey, but i hope its me if it does happen.

Anyway, this topic is ment to be about the report not the more then 4 card rule. Like i said luv excellent report

Last edited:
unseenforces said:
Gordon played Rayquaza *?[EDIT] Oh, I see. You mistyped. It's Rayquaza d.

Yeah sorry... I don't know why I thought it was a star Pokémon... :biggrin:

unseenforces said:
Question, did you get any Eevee? I mean, with TWO Espeon d...

Yeah, I had 1 Metal Eevee. But Espeon needs a Metal Energy to attack, and I didn't play enough Delta Pokémon for its power to be useful...

That shouldn't be right...you're not restricted by the "only 4 copies" rule that you're forced to play by in regular modified.

I know, that's what I thought... I asked the TO why we couldn't play more than 4 Ditto's, and he showed me the official pre-release rules he'd received from the LD, and it stated clearly you could only play 4 Ditto... It surprised me a lot as well, but it WAS in the rules...

Back