Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

EX: Experience

Archonn

Let me first explain the Experience mechanic... Uhh, where i start... Ah... I'll do a model; then i'll proceed to the explanations.

-------------------
Experienced X [Insert name of pokémon here] // HP: ?? // Type: ?
Stage [Original Stage number + X] Pokémon -- Evolves from [Insert name of Experienced X-1 pokémon here] [Insert set of origin here]

[Insert Pokémon's moves, poké-bodies, etc... here]

Weakness: ??? // Resistance: ??? // Retreat Cost: ?
-------------------

Experienced Pokémon follow those guidelines above. What, you can't understand nothing of it? Fine, let's create an example card.

I'll use Minun. But for Experienced pokémon, you must decide its set; i'll stick with EX: Deoxys (DX) Minun. Since it has no other Experienced version of it, we'll start with his Experienced 1. Notice that this "1" is "X". If we substitute all this data in the model (Remember, there's no stage number in Minun, he's a basic pokémon (stage 0)) , we have:

-------------------
Experienced 1 Minun // HP: ?? // Type: ?
Stage [0+1=1] Pokémon -- Evolves from [Experienced 1-1=0 Minun] (EX: Deoxys Set)

-------------------

Keep in mind that "Experienced 0" may be omitted, and "Experienced 1" is the same thing as "Experienced".

-------------------
Experienced Minun // HP: ?? // Type: ?
Stage 1 Pokémon -- Evolves from Minun (EX: Deoxys Set)

-------------------

From there on, it's just normal CaCing; deciding Type, Weakness/Resistance, Retreat Cost, HP, and attacks/poké-things/etc. For this card, i decided to keep DX Minun's Type/Weakness/Resistance, boosted its hp in 20 and its retreat cost in (C). Gave it a stronger version of Negative Spark and changed Sniff Out into a poké-power and made it able to get a card from any discard pile.

-------------------
Experienced Minun // HP: 80 // Type: (L)
Stage 1 Pokémon -- Evolves from Minun (EX: Deoxys Set)

Poké-Power: Magnet Force -- Once during your turn, you may use this power. Put any 1 card from any discard pile into your hand. Your turn ends now. (Return all cards you don't own to its owner at the end of an match.).
(L)(C)(C) Negative Storm -- Base Damage: 30 -- Put one damage counter in each of your opponent's benched pokémon. Put three damage counters in each of your opponent's pokémon that has any Poké-Bodies.

Weakness: (F) // Resistance: None // Retreat Cost: (C)(C)
-------------------

If it is broken or not... Well, that's another story. But it served its purpose as an example. BTW, you must have noticed that the concept is fairly easy; Experienced pokémon are a kind of evolved pokémon, but they are specific about the set their pre-evolution come from, and they may go to much higher stage levels. Still can't understand? Post your question and i'll do my best to clear your doubts about this mechanic.

On the other side of the coin, the Experienced Trainers/Energies are much easier... They are normal cards, except they have an additional cost to play, unless you have the less-experienced cards in play or in your discard pile. Also, since all trainers/energies with the same name are worded the same (remember that older versions of a trainer/energy play as the newer ones), you don't need to specify the set (but if for some motive the card has more than one version under the same name, you must specify the version).

Didn't understood? Here goes an example.

-------------------
Experienced 2 Potion
Trainer Card

Unless you have Potion and Experienced Potion in play or in your discard pile, this card's effect may only target a pokémon with two energies or more attached to it, and you remove all energies attached to them. Remove up to 10 damage counters from any of your pokémon in any way you like.
-------------------

Understood? This card removes up to 100 damage, but if you don't have used yet the other versions, it gets worse than a Pokémon Center. I said it was easier than Experienced pokémon! Feel free to post if any doubt appears, though.
(and yes, i know that it it broken)

Now that the hardest part ended, on to the set rules. First, feel free to do experienced versions of any card, even from the various pokégym sets/contests. Second, you are allowed to do non-experienced cards; but only if you post their experienced version along (exception: if the card is already posted in another pokégym thread, you may post a link to it instead of the entire card). And the golden rule of CaC applies too; avoid making broken cards (even if their original versions were broken).

The list of cards done!

Experienced Minun (Archonn/Sample Card)
Experienced 2 Potion (Archonn/Sample Card)

Mew (American Promo #47 Reprint)
Experienced Mew (Archonn/Pokémon)
Experienced Mew (Archonn/Trainer)

Gulpin (EX: Hidden Legends Reprint)
Swalot (EX: Hidden Legends Reprint)
Experienced Swalot (shiftymaster68)

Doduo (EX: FireRed LeafGreen Reprint)
Dodrio (EX: FireRed LeafGreen Reprint)
Experienced Dodrio (Archonn)

Mewtwo ex (EX: Ruby & Sapphire Reprint)
Experienced Mewtwo EX // Experienced Mewtwo ex (raveblade)
Experienced 2 Mewtwo ex (LorakLucan)

Experienced 3 Charizard (LorakLucan)

Last note: I'd like to know who here already played the Legend of Five Rings CCG...

Last edited:
one comment...the set should NOT have to be specified. It should DEFINATELY be able to evolve from ANY version of the card.
When you first specified the set, I thought that meant that it's attacks/bodies/powers had to be better versions of the ones that card had. But since it doesn't, there's no reason to specify the set.

one comment...the set should NOT have to be specified. It should DEFINATELY be able to evolve from ANY version of the card.
When you first specified the set, I thought that meant that it's attacks/bodies/powers had to be better versions of the ones that card had. But since it doesn't, there's no reason to specify the set.

Your first thought was correct! I said that you must specify the set because there is a difference between an Experienced Pikachu that comes from his Base Set incarnation and an Experienced Pikachu that comes from his Emerald version!

Sure, that isn't on the first post... The two reasons are; it's not a strict rule (notice that in my Experienced Minun, i changed one of his attacks to a Poke-body), and it's an obvious rule (so obivous that your first thought was it...).

So the specific set rule is staying for now.

I'm back with some cards for this set! Pay attention, as they have clarify various aspects...

-------------------
Mew // HP: 40 // Type: (P)
Basic Pokémon

Pokémon Power: Neutral Shield -- Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to Mew by an Evolved Pokémon. You can't use this power if Mew is Asleep, Confused or Paralyzed.
(P) Psyshock -- Base Damage: 10 -- Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Confused.

Weakness: (P) // Resistance: None // Retreat Cost: (C)(C)
-------------------

Just a reprint of American Promo #47. One thing i forgot to mention in the first post was that all pre-evolutions of experienced pokémon have a reprint in this set (except from the two samples). Another thing i forgot to mention was that, if two cards from different sets have the same wording (or the older one is errated to have the same wording as the newer one), a experienced pokémon may evolve from either card, thus effectively bypassing the specific set rule.

-------------------
Experienced Mew // HP: 60 // Type: (P)
Stage 1 Pokémon -- Evolves from Mew (American Promo #47)

Poké-Body: Neutral Forcefield -- While Experienced Mew is your Active pokémon, prevent all effects of attacks, Poké-Bodies or Poké-Powers done by an Evolved Pokémon to your pokémons.
(P)(P) Psyspark -- Base Damage: 20 -- Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Confused.

Weakness: (P) // Resistance: None // Retreat Cost: (C)
-------------------

This card is a good example of my last comment. Even if Experienced Mew states that it evolves from the American Promo #47 Mew, it may evolve from the EX: Experience Mew, for they have the same wording (come on, it's a reprint!).

-------------------
Experienced Mew
Trainer Card (Supporter)

Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done by Evolved Pokémon to your Active Pokémon. Unless you have Mew (American Promo #47) in play or in the discard pile, your turn ends now.

-------------------

Yes, cards may change types! Keep in mind, though, that you can't make experienced pokémon that evolves from trainers or energies (unless they occupy a bench slot, such as clefairy doll and mysterious fossil).
Also note that the two Experienced Mew counts as the same card for deckbuilding purposes.

Last note: If a set contains more than one card with the same name, you must specify what version are you using for making your experienced card. And the cards in this post aren't just samples; so comments/fixes would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Okay, let me try...

Experienced Swalot
Stage 2 (G) Pokemon Evolves from Swalot(Hidden Legends)
110hp

(G) Permanent Amnesia(10)
Choose 1 of the Defending Pokemon's attacks. As long as Experienced Swalot is your Active Pokemon, the Defenidng Pokemon can't use the chosen attack.

(G)(G)(C) Swallow Up(80+)
If Experienced Swalot's remaining HP is higher than the Defending Pokemon's remaining HP, this attack does 80 plus 20 more damage.

Weakness(P)
Resistance
Retreat Cost(C)(C)(C)

Is that good?

Last edited:
Fits the "very nice concept", to quote LorakLucan (Thanks!). It seems broken with Rare Candy (1st turn Experienced Swalot... Not to mention a one enegy attack...), but it may be just me (I'd wait for opinons of other people before nerfing the attack). Other than that, nicely done! You've been a great help to me (fixes, cards for my set, etc...)!

And a card made by my brother (with a lot of ideas and changes by me, since his CCG craze is now L5R)

-------------------
Experienced Dodrio // HP: 80 // Type: (C)
Stage 2 Pokémon -- Evolves from Dodrio (EX: FireRed LeafGreen)

Poké-Power -- Strategic Retreat: After you attack, you may retreat one of your Active pokémon. This power stops working if Experienced Dodrio is affected by a Special Condition.
(C)(C)(C) Tri-Attack -- Base Damage: 30x -- Flip three coins. This attack does 30 damage times the number of heads.

Weakness: (L) // Resistance: (F) - 30 // Retreat Cost: ?
-------------------

Any fixes for this card will be gladly accepted (my brother hasn't played pokémon for ages now).

speaking of rare candy...that seems to be the flaw with your specific set evolution.
Would it have to be rare candied from the lower form of that set? Like would that have to be rare candied from Hidden Legends Gulpin? Or could it be any Gulpin? Also, what about cards like TMTA blaziken/sceptile/swampert? They have no combusken/grovyle/marshtomp in that set, so Rare Candy wouldn't work.

Burninating_Torchic said:
speaking of rare candy...that seems to be the flaw with your specific set evolution.
Would it have to be rare candied from the lower form of that set? Like would that have to be rare candied from Hidden Legends Gulpin? Or could it be any Gulpin? Also, what about cards like TMTA blaziken/sceptile/swampert? They have no combusken/grovyle/marshtomp in that set, so Rare Candy wouldn't work.

i believe there are the basic's and stage 1's in DR that have no final evo to it, so those could go onto the line

Last edited:
Burninating_Torchic: About Gulpin... Any Gulpin will do the job, since the line Any Gulpin - Hidden Legends Swalot - Experienced Swalot is correct.

For TMTA blaziken/sceptile/swampert, Rare Candy works fine... BUT for Experienced blaziken/sceptile/swampert it wouldn't work just because they are stage 3(!) pokémon.

...as should have been expected, quite frankly. Yknow, I thought that this kind of thing would allow higher stages. So basically...

If the original Pokemon is stage 2, there can be no experienced.
If the original Pokemon is stage 1, there can only be experienced lv1.
If the original Pokemon is basic, there can only be experienced lv1/lv2.

Lame =/. And, these experienced cards still have nothing that shows how they are specifically evolved from the specific card from a specific set.

It does allow stage 3 and higher; sorry if i wasn't clear enough. But Rare Candy wouldn't work because it only works up to stage 2 pokémon.

Just be careful when doing Stage 3 and higher, as it is much harder to play... Those type of pokémon should either be godly powerful or have something that makes playing it easier.

And they don't show how they are specifically evolved from the specific card from a specific set?
Experienced Swalot
Stage 2 (G) Pokemon Evolves from Swalot(Hidden Legends)

Sure, we can be even more specifical than that, by using the card number and such... Do you think that's necessary?

that's not what I mean. I mean the Attacks, Poke-Powers/Bodies...if they HAVE to evolve from a specific set, you'd think at least the attacks/powers/bodies would be more powerful versions of THAT SET's copy of the card.

Experienced Mewtwo EX (P) HP:110
Stage ONe POKemon

Super Energy Asorbtion:(P) (C)
Search your deck or discard pile for 3 (P) energys and attach it to Experienced Mewtwo EX

Mega Psy Burn:(P) (P) (P) (C):80

W:(P)/(D)
R:N/A
RC:(C) (C) (C)

Experienced 2 Mewtwo ex
Type: (P)
150 HP
Stage 2 Pokémon - Evolves from Experienced Mewtwo ex
Weakness: (P)(D)
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: (C)(C)(C)

Poké-Power: Über Absorption
Once during your turn (before you attack), if Experienced 2 Mewtwo ex is your Active Pokémon, flip a coin for each of your Benched Pokémon. For each heads, attach a basic (P) Energy card from your discard pile to Experienced 2 Mewtwo ex. Then, for each heads, put 1 damage counter on Experienced 2 Mewtwo ex. This Poké-Power can't be used if Experienced 2 Mewtwo ex is affected by a Special Condtion.

(P) - Psyperburn - 20+
This attack does 20 damage plus 20 more damage for each basic (P) Energy card attached to Experienced 2 Mewtwo ex. If this attack does more than 100 damage (after applying Weakness and Resistance), place a number of damage counters 10 less than the number of damage counters placed on the Defending Pokémon (after doing damage).

Last edited:
And now, where the problems start...

Experienced 3 Charizard
Type: (R)
300 HP
Stage 5 Pokémon - Evolves from Experienced 2 Charizard
Weakness: (W)(L)
Resistance: (F)
Retreat Cost: (C)(C)(C)

Poké-Body: Fire Overdrive
While Experienced 3 Charizard is in play, treat all Energy in play as if it provided (R) Energy (instead of its normal type).

(R)(R)(R)(R)(R)(R)(R)(R) - Firey Pits of Doom
Discard all Energy cards attached to Experienced 3 Charizard. If you do, put a total of 40 damage counters on your opponent's Pokémon.

Last edited:
OMG Loophole!

Let's say I make Experienced 1 Raichu that evolves from fossil Raichu, and someone else makes Experienced 1 Raichu that evolves from FRLG Raichu. Now, would Experienced 2 Raichu evolve from either of those, or...?

Back