Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Explanation for the fear?

V_For_Vendetta

This is something a friend of mine posted on his My Space recently, and I find it to be quite interesting.

Many classic horror icons, such as Geger’s Xenomorphs, Silent Hill’s Pyramid Head, and other disturbing creatures, share common characteristics. Pale skin, dark, sunken eyes, elongated faces, sharp teeth, and the like. These images inspire horror and revulsion in many, and with good reason. The characteristics shared by these faces are imprinted in the human mind.

Many things frighten humans instinctively. The fear is natural, and does not need to be reinforced in order to terrify. The fears are species-wide, stemming from dark times in the past when lightning could mean the burning of your tree home, thunder could be the approaching gallops of a stampede, predators could hide in darkness, and heights could make poor footing lethal.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

What happened, deep in the hidden eras before history began, that could effect the entire human race so evenly as to give the entire species a deep, instinctual, and lasting fear of pale beings with dark, sunken eyes, razor sharp teeth, and elongated faces?

Any thoughts?

Simply, it is an opposition of beauty.

What we see as beauty is beautiful because of its simplicity, and humans seem to find beauty in the simple and smooth.

These "figures" go against that definition of beauty that humans have, and therefore is considered grotesque.

This is just my guess, but maybe a pale, thin, sunken-eyed head tends to resemble that of a sick or malnourished person. Also, sharp teeth imply predators. Such images could've inspired fear (and pity) in our distant ancestors.

- Croatian_Nidoking

Pale skin, dark, sunken eyes, elongated faces, sharp teeth.... hmmm sounds a lot like the stereotypical alien to me. This is a very interesting theory. I like it!

I think its mainly the fear of ending all that you know and love. Theres something about the thought of the apocolypse that inspires fear in most, if not all. Some things, like this type of fear, kind of go beyond words, in my opinion. Indeed we are fearfully and wonderfully made, and depending on what you believe, you might need to accept that some things cannot be comprehended by mortal minds.

In some ways those faces look dead. If there were dead bodies around, obviously something that killed people might be nearby. JMO...

I knew that sounded familiar. I decided to google since I thought I'd heard it before. No idea about the sauce, but it seems to be copypasta'd from 4chan (and hence all over teh interwebz). Old creepy story is old.

Back