Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fake cards still exist?!?

Dunjohn

Now THERE's something I didn't expect to see. In a papershop the other day, and they had a box of Aquapolis. It looked perfect - the box was spot on, right down to the silver foily trim, and the packs looked right. The only thing that got me suspicious was that this shop never, EVER got Pokemon cards. I asked how much they were. They said they were a Euro each, which pretty much confirmed that, so I got a pack for the hell of it.

I was amazed at the quality. The cards were the correct shape and size, but to someone who's had a lot of experience with these things they felt a bit light. They're not made of the same card stock. The printing if very good; even the dot matrix is perfect. The rarity in the pack was correct, if a bit shuffled, but most surprising of all was the rare - a foil Ninetales. While the foil wasn't of the regular pattern, it was done in exactly the same way that the real cards were, with the art un-foiled. The most obvious give-away that these cards are fakes are the one or two perforation chads along the sides.

I was surprised that Pokemon, which has been in decline for so long, would still have fakes being made for it, but even more so at the sheer quality of these cards. A lot of effort went into making them.

Freaky, I was just thinking about counterfeit cards. Of course, all the cards I've seen have been decidedly low-quailty. Very interesting.

They've been keeping in practice in China with YGO cards.

I've seen a lot of 'god-cards' that look great, but the little foil stamp has the wrong holo pattern.

If somethings not holo, you have a low chance of detecting a good fake.

Standard counterfeit tests:

1. Hold it to the light see if it has light trying to shine though.
2. Try to have it curl from corner of the card to the opposite corner with out creasing or bending the card.
3. Take a common from the suspected cards that is worth losing and dunk it in water allow it to split the back and front parts of the card. If a slimey black paste is there that was meant to hold the cards together then that is a good sign it was a real wizards made card.

Last edited:
Back