Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fanfiction contest - entries listed here.

Lucario EX

Moderator<br>Fanfic Contest Host
All entries for the current FanFiction Contest will be posted in this thread. They will be anonymous until the winner of the round is declared, at which point I'll edit their names into the post title.

Round 1 challenge: include the words Red and Blue, and the number 151, somewhere in the story. Round 1 entries are in posts 2-5.

Round 2 challenge: The title must be "At the top of the mountain", and at least one of the following characters/Pokemon must be included:

Maxie of Team Magma
Remoraid
Molly Hale

Last edited:
Author: Pikamaster

Racing through the jungle, completely invisible, and all alone; it was just another ordinary day in the endless march of time to this Pokémon. Leaves whipped at her face, and low tree branches threatened to snap her neck should she be as careless as to hit them, but years of practice had honed her senses, they wouldn’t allow her to fly to her death; those senses and a little psychic power.

The air was so humid that you could almost drink from it, but that was normal for that early August, and so was the temperature. The sun had reached its zenith in the cloudless, robin’s egg blue sky, and was mercilessly scorching all that it shone upon with an almost unbearable heat, forcing all Pokémon to take cover in the shade of the jungle, not that it was much cooler there.

Vines hung between densely packed trees like ropes, moss covered the twisting branches, making them as green as the lush canopy that tinted sunlight a soft emerald. Millions of bushes made everyplace, except for the path to the ruins, near impassible; everything here made the forest radiate ancientness; all the trees there were at least three-hundred years old; brown giants that dwarfed everything else.

Arriving at a boomerang shaped lake, the Pokémon sped up, knowing that her destination was near, and like any other sane creature, she didn’t want to be anywhere above ground at this time of day. When she, at long last, arrived at the one, giant, lazy river that cut all the way through the sixty-two thousand acre jungle she called “home”, she let out a shrill giggle and dove into the sparkling, crystal clear water, forming a protective bubble around herself as she curled up for a nap; she made sure to fasten the bubble in place and make it impregnable with psychic powers first. Yes, life was good for Pokémon number one-hundred and fifty-one.

It was late in the morning of the next day when Mew awoke from her nap, fully energized and ready to brave the rising heat. She was a small, pink kitten with a pair of large, curious blue eyes that always seemed to twinkle with mischief. Her long, three toed feet were in perfect contrast to her short, the fingered paws; a thin pink tail with a slightly larger end constantly twitched when she wasn’t moving around.

Releasing her psychic grip, the unlikely Legendary Pokémon allowed the bubble to rise; it broke the surface and popped, leaving Mew to fly on her own accord. She was just about to fly off to one of her favorite places, an overlook near the peak of gigantic mountain that was covered in so much snow that it looked white- not only at its summit, but at its base too- when she heard a sound that she had not heard for many, many years; the sound of human speech.

Humans were not creatures to have encounters with now, all though interaction between them and Mew used to be a daily thing, but that was all lost a few thousand years ago. The humans had loved Mew, and she in turn had loved them; sharing a bond for generations, but it is human nature to lust for power, and greed can bring even the strongest relationships to a grinding halt. No longer content with their place in the world, the power-hungry tribe had attempted to capture Mew using primitive nets, spears and arrows; Mew effortlessly blocked all efforts, ceased them, and teleported the tribe to a distant land. The heartbroken Pokémon had then- for many years- wandered the jungle without purpose, her natural curiosity and playfulness stifled by the pain of such a bitter betrayal. But then, in an attempt to break Mew’s sadness, a group of Pokémon that lived in the jungle- mostly Nidoran and Mankey- presented Mew with a stone tablet with a rough carving of the Legendary Pokémon’s likeness. Her spirits revived by the present that had been worked so hard on for that purpose, Mew had placed the carving in the wall in the back of the human’s stone shrine; a reminder that they and she may one day be reconciled.

Snapping back to the present, Mew pondered the situation; she could watch the humans, or stay far away from them. She knew that staying away from them was what she should do, it was the smarter choice; so she went to go watch the humans; when she grew near to them, the pink kitten slowed down, not wanting to alert anyone of her presence. She had no need to worry, however, as a pack of agitated Mankey was swinging away, high above the humans, making enough noise to mask any sounds that she may have made.

There were four humans in the group, all of them were male, and all of them were wearing almost the exact same thing: sturdy brown boots, long khaki pants and shirts, white gloves, and a round khaki hat on their heads; they all carried backpacks too. One of them had a short, pointed grey beard while the others were clean-shaven, their eyes and hair were hidden by their hats; a sense of deep loss radiated from their apparent leader, a feeling that the pink Pokémon could understand very well.

Mew flew high over the walking figures; the lower foliage of the trees hid her from view. Pausing for only a moment to watch them at that height, she flew a short distance ahead and hid behind a leaf that was bigger than her body, looking out of a large hole in it at the humans as they passed.

The ruins weren’t too much, just an immense platform built out of stone blocks with similarly made steps leading up; a tall, crumbling wall surrounded it on two sides. But what the impressive part was, was the shrine. The shrine had been built with humans and Mew working in tandem, raising the stone structure to a height of almost thirty feet. A stone arch was the only entrance, two holes in the wall on either side served as windows. Once more impressive, portions had collapsed onto the statues, leaving only a stone wall in the back; it had carvings of symbols whose meaning was lost long ago, even to Mew; ivy had started scaling the wall.

Why are they here? I thought that this jungle had been forgotten long ago by humans, but here they are! They do not seem like they are looking for me, but I could be mistaken. Wait, are they heading for the ruins? Now I have to follow them.

Moving from her hiding place once they had passed, Mew did follow them; she followed them for hours, always making sure that she did not get seen. As they grew closer to the ruins, they reached the riverbank and walked along that for a while, never pausing to rest for more than five minutes, not even to look at the half-sunken stone monuments in the water. A passing flock of Butterfree was soon startled by the disturbance and flew above the river in the opposite direction, passing the humans a short way off to the side, but the humans didn’t even glance over at the sight; Mew took this opportunity to fly among the Butterfree, stealing another good look at the humans. Their apparent leader looked young; Mew could sense that he had suffered a great loss, but what that loss was she could not tell. As they reached the edge of the clearing where the ruins were, Mew took one last glance at them before moving off; she needed some time alone to think.

Maybe they have come to reconcile with me! That must be the reason why they headed towards the ruins. But do I want to make contact again after all these years? Would they just try to capture me again, but with more advanced means? They must have gotten smarter, why else would they be traveling without any visible weapons? I am so confused.

And she was, seeing humans had brought up feelings that Mew hadn’t felt in centuries, feelings that she did not know she could still have towards humans after what they had done; feelings of love and friendship now mingled with the heartache and the pain. For the first time in thousands of years, Mew was perplexed; her heart could no longer lead her when there was a war of emotions going on inside of it. On one side, she wanted to forgive the humans and go back to how it was before; a close bond that would never be broken again. But on the other side, her heart still bled a bright red with the anger of betrayal; the humans had wanted to use her as a tool; all they had shared together at each generation had meant nothing to them as they attacked. Mew sighed, even though it was only early afternoon, she was exhausted, but not physically. So, deciding that she would do whatever she felt after waking up, the confused Pokémon went underwater in her bubble to get some sleep; but Mew was unable to slip into the dream realm for some time; the constant clash of her emotions made sure of that.

If Mew had hoped that the answer to her problem would be clear in the morning, she was disappointed. Leaving the river like she did the day before, Mew soared across the cloud speckled sky; her destination was the mountain.

The mountain had no name, not to Pokémon, they all knew what the other was talking about, it was the mountain; there was no other like it. It stood at an impressive nine-thousand three-hundred feet with its two peaks, and almost every square inch of it was covered in snow. According to legends among local Pokémon, a colossal giant came to this mountain and carved a Pokémon out of it long ago in an ice age, but Mew would not confirm or deny these tales, preferring to let the Pokémon guess among themselves.

But legends aside, this mountain was a refuge for Ice type Pokémon, who jealously guarded the entire place, only letting Mew on because they had no way to stop her. Blizzards would frequently roll across the slopes, hiding ledges that lead to steep crevices and cliffs, an almost certain death. Caves dotted the area near the base and the summit, but were hidden by huge snow-drifts most of the time; it was kill or be killed here, survival of the fittest was the only rule, even within packs. But if the hardships were forgotten, it was a place of beauty; Mew saw that as clearly as the Pokémon living there did.

When the Legendary Pokémon reached the place she called “the lookout”, she breathed a sigh of relief. Here, in this shallow cave, she could let the cold air sharpen her thoughts, and maybe, just maybe, it would help her to decide. Not even pausing like she normally did, Mew went straight to the back of the cave, using psychic power to move a ten-ton boulder a few feet to the left, revealing a shallow grave carved into the rock. The grave held the skeleton a Mew, the bones as untouched as they were when they were laid there.

What am I to do? I could really use your help right around now, even though I survived without it since you died in the ice age.

The skeleton belonged to Mew’s brother, and only his sister knew his name; not that many Pokémon even remembered that he existed, and the few that did could only recall his species name. Having died in this cave of starvation because he would not kill another creature for food, he had left his sister alone in the world, knowing that she would survive. When Mew had learned the fate of her brother, she had let out a potent burst of power, permanently freezing the mountain; also inadvertently scattering her brother’s body all across the vast snow plane where the jungle would later be. By the time that she had been strong enough to go out and look for the pieces, they had decayed to nothing but bone, making them even harder to find. And so, Mew had sorrowfully tracks down and gathered up her brother’s remains, re-assembling them and laying them in this grave. Even though she searched for many years, the solitary kitten had never found the last bone, her brother’s left eyebrow.

What should I do? Should I make contact with the humans? It is all so confusing, what would you have done?

With loving tenderness, Mew stroked the bones, fully aware that any other creature witnessing this sight would not understand it, and may even be repulsed by it. After ten minutes, Mew sighed again and moved back, replaced the boulder, and then came to her decision; she would give the humans a second chance.

Having made up her mind, the Legendary Pokémon flew with a greater speed than ever before; the humans may not wait long, it had already been more than a day since they had arrived. Not bothering to hide herself, she quickly arrived at the clearing and dove in, going straight to the shrine; what she found there was shocking. Instead of a group of humans, eager to meet her, she found them grouped around her engraving; it was obvious that they were there for it; she hovered in the entrance, staring in disbelief. Mew would have stayed there longer, but her shadow was being projected onto the wall right in front of the humans; she darted off a second before they turned around. A little later, when she thought that it was safe enough, the pink kitten went back to the shrine; the humans were no longer there, and neither was her special carving.

W-w-what, why did they take it? I guess I know now that they are not here looking for me, but what are they here for then, just the ruins?

Hearing loud, excited voices coming from a large, brown tent, erected at the edge of the ruins; Mew raced over to it, a strong sense of foreboding coursed through every fiber of her being. Looking through a plastic covered hole in the entry flap, Mew saw a sight that upset her even more than the first betrayal. There, on a table surrounded by the humans she had followed yesterday, was her brother’s fossilized eyebrow, resting in a glass case, on a thick sheet of pure white cotton; she nearly obliterated all traces of the humans, just to retrieve the bone.

Oh, brother, what should I do? Those humans have you in there, but I know you would rather have part of you with them than have me hurt them to get it. Forgive me, brother, for I have failed you.

And so, for the second time, Mew’s heart was broken by the human race. Almost in tears, she floated in front of the tent; there was nothing to care about anymore; the world had taken her, chewed her up, and then spit her out again. Not being able to bear the sight any longer, the heartbroken Pokémon was heading towards the mountain again; this time with tears streaming down her face, leaving a sparkling trail behind her.

Last edited:
Weaknesses and Immunities, Author: CyberManetric EX

Flying high in the skies above the mountains of Route 226 was a Chatot. This Chatot was on a mission. An evil Pokémon was about to launch a scheme to take over the Battle Zone. Chatot flew about to look for a certain cave to the entrance of the Pokémon’s evil lair. By the time sunset began Chatot finally found the entrance and flew inside.

“Ah, Chatot my old friend, I’ve been expecting you,” said a calm voice with somewhat of an English accent. Chatot landed in the center of the lair. The only thing in the lair was a computer with a Pokémon wearing a hooded cloak typing something on it.

“The jig is up Smeargle! Surrender now or prepare to fight,” shouted Chatot. Smeargle turned around with its hood still up, but the cloak was torn and there were big holes to see that Smeargle was a Shiny Smeargle, colored red instead of green. In the darker part of Smeargle’s evil lair was a Machoke standing against the wall with an eye patch covering its left eye and had its arms crossed.

“You made a big mistake coming after us Chatot. This time we are ready for you,” said the Machoke.

“Ha, you wish. Smeargle and Machoke have 151 failed evil plots and counting. Chatot will stop bad guys again, and send you all to Officer Jenny,” Chatot replied. Then Smeargle took off his hood walked right up to Chatot.

“Maybe so, but I’ve learned new attacks Chatot. Prepare to fail miserably,” Smeargle said as he began glowing with a dark blue aura. “Behold! Curse attack! Feeling weak, my friend? Does the ghostly spookiness drain your Hit Points Chatot? You feel weaker and weaker with each passing second.” Smeargle waved his arms around as if performing some bizarre ritual while still glowing with the blue aura. Chatot had his eyes halfway closed.

“That only works if you’re a ghost type you moron,” said Chatot. Suddenly Smeargle stopped glowing.

“What? Really,” asked Smeargle with a puzzled expression on his face.

“Well… Yeah! DUH!”

“Oh that stupid man atop the Celadon Mansion.”

“I think you seem a bit tougher boss,” Said Machoke while still leaning against the cave wall keeping his arms crossed.

“Silence Machoke,” commanded Smeargle. Then he pondered for bit. “On a second thought Machoke, help me make some noise with Earthquake!” They both pounded the ground and a tremor occurred that caused some stalactites to fall from the cave’s ceiling.

“Yikes,” yelled Chatot.

“Does the rattling earth scare you Chatot? Do you feel like the floor will collapse beneath you, making you fall to your doom? Ah ha ha…” Smeargle laughed for a bit but then noticed that Chatot was fine and flying a few inches above the ground. He and Machoke stopped the Earthquake attack.

“Chatot’s immune. Didn’t feel a thing,“ taunted Chatot. Now Smeargle seemed to turn an even brighter red, possibly from his anger. Chatot then stopped flying and stood right in front of Smeargle while Machoke returned to his position standing against the cave wall with his arms crossed.

“I see. Well then. How about a Shadow Claw attack,” yelled Smeargle as his left hand became surrounded in a black aura and he swiped the attack across Chatot. “Does the Critical Hit strike fear into your heart? Are you so scared that you won’t ever combat me in battle ever again?” Chatot stood there as if nothing happened.

“Still immune. You’re a loon.”

“Boss, we’re wasting time,” said Machoke.

“You’re right Machoke. Luckily I still have Sketch attack on me. Please Chatot tell us, what is one of your weaknesses,” Smeargle pleaded. Chatot thought for a minute and then spoke.

“Well it just so happens that…”

5 minutes later

“Rawk! Let Chatot outta here! Oh man, what the heck was Chatot thinking telling the bad guys that Rock Tomb was one Chatot’s weaknesses,” Yelled Chatot who was trapped within a rock prison formed from the Rock Tomb attack Machoke and Smeargle had just used. Then Smeargle walked up to Chatot.

“You probably never should have given us the TM so we could learn it either,” taunted Smeargle.

“Who’s the moron now Chatot,” said Machoke.

“Chatot knows! Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!”

The End?

Last edited:
Poke-birding, Author: ilikegengar

Misty focused her binoculars and the bird came into view. "Ah, it’s just a Chatot," she mumbled to her friend, Scott.

"Yeah," he muttered back.

Chatots are numerous, bright, flashy and extra noisy. They are not difficult to find. How could you, as a Pokemon birdwatcher, not enjoy them? But Misty and Scott had another bird in mind—the elusive Ho-Oh, a legendary Poke-bird. One had been spotted in the Cascades of central Oregon with the notice being spread on the ‘Rare Pokemon Alert." Misty couldn’t wait to get that bird on her life list. She dragged along Scott, usually a city guy, as a set of extra eyes.

"Hey, there’s a bird!" said Scott. "What’s that?"

"Uh, that’s not a bird, that’s a Butterfree."

"Why isn’t that a bird?" asked Scott. "It flies."

"A bird has feathers. Feathers make you a bird."

Misty stopped under an oak tree, and brought out her water flask. Time for a quick nip before they continued on. Scott dropped his backpack and fished out a granola bar. With the production of that, three Chatots popped into view squawking, actually demanding part of the granola bar.

"Geewhiz! Can’t a guy take a break in peace? Why can’t a Ho-Oh show up and find us? Why must we traipse around the countryside in search of them? I think they’re probably hiding in the bushes, laughing at us right now. I bet they’re not that far away."

"Sometimes I think I need a new hobby," said Misty as she poked at the leaves on the ground with the toe of her shoe before sitting down.

"What? And miss out on all this fresh air and sunshine?"

Misty gave her friend a sideways glance. She loved the outdoors and Poke-birding. She didn’t like the bugs that went along with that nature. When she was sure no multi-legged creatures were near her, she sat down in the shade of the tree. "This tree reminds me of my college professor."

"Professor Oak? Yeah, he’s a good guy. A little too crazy about Pokemon if you ask me," said Scott.

"He’s passionate, not crazy," corrected Misty.

"I’d like to be a professor some day," said Scott, dreamily.

"You, a professor?"

"Yes, me. Why not? Don’t you think I’d be any good?"

"Well, perhaps," said Misty, "but you’d have to trade in that gaudy -patterned shirt you always wear for a white lab coat."

"Shows what you know," chuckled Scott. "I’d get a teaching job on some tropical island where I’d be right in style."

The friends were laughing at the thought of that when they heard a whistle in the distance.

"A Hoothoot!" they both shouted.

They are on their feet in an instance, quickly bushwhacking as quietly as they could towards the sound of the calling owl. "I need that Poke-bird!" squealed Misty.

"Hoothoot, Hoothoot, Hoothoot."

The sound continued as the pair closed in on a large clump of Oran berry bushes beneath Douglas fir trees.

"The sound’s coming from the bushes," whispered Scott. "I don’t see the bird."

"Keep scanning," whispered Misty. The hooting continued. Misty and Scott dared not get too close or they’d scare the bird. Owls are especially flighty.

‘AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Out of the bushes jumped two large figures dressed in black with a red R embroidered on their jackets. Each sported a pair of binoculars around their neck.

"Team Rocket! Misty snarled. "I shoulda known. What are you doing here?"

"Why, we’re just updating our Poke-bird list," said Jesse. "James, how do you spell Ho-Oh? I need the proper spelling for my life list."

‘You saw the bird? When? Where?" Misty asked, quickly forgetting her near heart attack.

"Oh, it was around here somewhere," said Jesse sweetly, "isn’t that right, James?"

"Meowth! That’s right," interrupted Meowth, their clever, if not obnoxious at times, cat Pokemon.

"Yes, indeed," purred James. "Those lovely blue and red and green feathers, that bright yellow beak . . . but I wouldn’t bother looking for it now. It’s probably left these woods for another county by now."

"Good luck, Misty," said Jesse as the trio climbed into Meowth’s camouflaged hot air balloon and slowly floated upwards. "See you at the next bird chase?"

"Wait!" shouted Misty.

But it was no use. Jesse, James and Meowth floated skyward and soon out of sight.

"I bet they were just teasing you Misty," said Scott. "I don’t think they really saw the Ho-Oh."

"On the contrary, Scott. Team Rocket has a great Poke-bird life list. They are among the top listers in the nation."

"Top birders? But they can’t catch a thing."

"You don’t catch a Poke-bird to put it on your life list," explained Misty. "All you have to do is see it. As you know, Team Rocket can’t catch-em, but they are always in the thick of anything Pokemon, always stirring up trouble." Misty just shook her head. Jesse was her arch nemesis when it came to Poke-birding. Jesse had a life list that made Misty drool. Normally birders help each other and enjoy the friendly competition, but the way Jesse and James rubbed it in, well, Misty didn’t like that.

Scott tried to think of something to say. "Misty, you’re always on foot. They have a balloon to travel in. Ever think of alternate transportation?"

"Yes," said Misty. "I had a bike until that Ash Ketchum wrecked it!"

Scott saw this wasn’t going anywhere and quickly changed the subject. "Come on! We have more hiking to do. If the Ho-Oh was seen by those clowns we can see it too."

Misty nodded her head. Searching for the bird was part of the fun. She kicked at the Pineco cones on the ground. The little seeds in the cones reminded her of the tail of a Rattata. She threw on her backpack, but before heading down the trail, picked a handful of those orange Oran berries and tossed them in her mouth. Poke-birding had its perks.

The trail led them through forests of evergreen trees filled with Sudowoodos and Seedots, past large boulders where Kecleons soaked up the sun’s warmth, over babbling creeks with an occasional splashing Magikarp. They enjoyed the common Poke-birds around them. Pidgeys, Taillows, Psyducks and the ever-present Chatots called and whistled and sang. Misty was lost in her own thoughts as she caught a flash of color out of the corner of her eye. Could it possibly be what she was looking for?

Misty and Scott skulked up to the grove of towering firs. This is where they’d expect to find a Ho-Oh. Were they going to finally see this spectacular, legendary bird at last?

"Ho-oh, ho-oh, ho-oh," Scott called,

"What are you doing?" squeaked Misty?

"Calling out a Ho-Oh."

"Well, it’s not working."

"Ah, I wouldn’t say that," said Scott as he turned on his heel. "RUN!"

Misty yanked her head around to see a giant Fearow flying right toward Scott’s head. Its razor-sharp talons were outstretched with the intent of making contact. She heard Scott scream as he dove into a thorn bush. Misty ran to her right, ducking into a fallen hollow log. She tried hard to suppress the scream in her as she realized her hiding place contained Caterpies! Misty hated bug Pokemon but staying alive was a higher priority right now!

Minutes slowly passed and Scott came looking for her, telling her the coast was clear. She held out a shaky hand for Scott to help unlodge her from her safe haven. Scott braced himself for the wrath of Misty. Her muddy clothes, his failed bird call; he was sure that rotted log contained the dreaded bugs Misty loathed. But a smile was spread across Misty’s face and a symphony of giggles bubbled out of her throat. She threw her arms around Scott and gave him a quick hug. "I saw it! I saw it!" she said, jumping up and down.

"Saw what, the Ho-Oh?"

"No, the Fearow. I saw the Fearow! Do you know how difficult that bird of prey is to spot? No, of course you wouldn’t. But I saw it, and I saw it well! And, and, and. . ." Misty could hardly get the words out. "Jesse doesn’t have that Poke-bird on her list! And now I do."

"That’s fabulous!" said Scott, placing a hand on her shoulder, slyly flicking off a tiny Spinarak sitting there. No need to tell Misty about that and ruin her mood, he thought.

The sun had set and Misty lay in her tent, pitched by the lake. As she was falling asleep to the chorus of Mudkips and Poliwags calling in the night, she patted her Poke-bird notebook. The Fearow was her 151st species sighted. Tomorrow would be another day to search for the Ho-Oh. Ah, life is good.

Last edited:
Author: BlazikenEX

Blue laughed as Red stepped into the room. “So,” Blue said, “You made it.” He laughed again. “I figured Lance would take care of you, but to tell the truth, I’m excited.” He turned to face him. “I’ll finally be able to repay you for all those times you humiliated me in front of whoever was watching. I’ll finally be able to beat you, once and for all.” He reached into his pocket, pulling out a small, red device. “Do you see this, Red?” He nodded. “This is my Pokédex. One hundred fifty-one seen, one hundred fifty caught. Do you know that that means, Red? It means I’ve caught everything there is to catch. What have you got, Red? Let me see your Pokédex.”

Red flashed his own small, red device. Blue chuckled. “Eighty-six seen, twenty-four caught? Are you taking this seriously, Red?” He laughed again, turned, and began to walk toward the wall. He reached for a shelf, grabbing a handful of Poké Balls, and then walked back toward Red. “It doesn’t matter. What matters is that, as of today, I’m the official Pokémon League Champion. Do you know what that means, Red? It means that I’m the most powerful trainer in the world!”

Red tossed one of his own Poké Balls, from his pocket, into the air. It flew up, nearly hitting the ceiling, before crashing toward the ground again, enveloping the surrounding area in a bright, white light. “Whoa,” Blue said, “Stop. Right now.” Red, confused, called his Pokémon back. “Do you call that a proper toss? Really, Red, really?” He sighed, grabbing Red’s hand. “You have to give it a gentle flick with your wrist. That way, it won’t go so high, saving you valuable time. In the time it took you to do that, I could’ve had my Pokémon move right next to yours, so that it could’ve attacked before you were ready.” He shook his head in disappointment. “You got all that?” Red simply nodded.

Blue sighed again, walking back across the room. “And even if you throw the balls correctly, keeping them in your pocket can’t be good for your Pokémon. You should at least invest in a belt or something.” Red nodded again. Blue laughed. “Sometimes, I wonder if you’re even listening. Anyway, let’s start this for real. You ready?” Red nodded. “Let’s go!” They each flung their respective Poké Balls across the room, their Pokémon emerging several feet in front of them. Blue’s Pidgeot flapped its wings menacingly, while Red’s Jolteon simply stood there.
“A Jolteon?” Blue laughed. “Don’t tell me you’re actually using something like that. Pidgeot, wait for it to do something.” Red motioned for his own Pokémon to attack. Jolteon let out a roar, sending various pins and needles flying everywhere. Blue smirked. “Pidgeot, evade and Mirror it!” Pidgeot flapped its wings twice, ducking under the few needles that flew its way before sending its own spray of needles toward Jolteon, who took the blow head-on.

“Your strategy needs some work,” Blue said. “What did you think would-” Jolteon let out a small electrical bolt, zapping Pidgeot before it could move out of the way. Blue clapped slowly a few times. “Attacking while I’m talking. Good, good. That’s pretty impressive for someone of your-” Suddenly, his voice changed tone. “Pidgeot, Hyper Beam.” The bird quickly flapped its wings, generating a beam of intense light, which blasted itself toward Jolteon, knocking the Lightning Pokémon toward the wall.

Taking no time to recover, Red called the unconscious Jolteon back, immediately sending out another Pokémon, this time a large Hypno. Immediately, the Hypnosis Pokémon let loose a blast of mental energy, knocking the already immobile Pidgeot to the floor. Blue laughed, recalling his Pokémon with one hand while he sent out another with the other. “Hitting me while I’m down. Very good.”

Blue’s next Pokémon, an Alakazam, stared menacingly toward Hypno, who stared menacingly right back. Instead of looking away, though, the two continued to stare toward each other. They seemed to be exerting themselves, for, after exactly two and a half minutes, they both collapsed. Silently, the two trainers recalled their Pokémon, each sending out their next.
Blue’s Pokémon, a large Rhydon, stared down at Red’s Dugtrio. The Dugtrio, however, simply stared at the Rhydon’s feet. Red quickly signaled for the Dugtrio to attack. It nodded, burrowing down through the room’s steel floor. “Oh, no you don’t,” said Blue, with a grin. “Rhydon, Earthquake!” The Rhydon stomped its feet on the ground, growing quicker and quicker by the second, until the entire room was vibrating. The Dugtrio, when it failed to come up, was recalled, once again, by Red. “This seems to be going a bit too fast,” Blue said. “Would you mind sending out better Pokémon? I know you’ve got them.”

Red, emotionless, tossed another Poké Ball into the air, this time releasing a large Tentacruel. The Jellyfish Pokémon, discontent with the room’s current dryness, quickly summoned a large stream of water from some unknown source, quickly filling the room with several feet of deluge. The Tentacruel then moved toward the Rhydon, almost immobile by this point, and began slamming its tentacles against it.

The Rhydon eventually fell, after being wrapped, poisoned, and pecked, among other things, by the aquatic giant. Recalling his third unconscious Pokémon, Blue grinned. “If that’s how you want to play,” he said, “let’s see how you feel about this!” He tossed another Poké Ball into the amateur sea, releasing a Gyarados, even larger than usual. The Atrocious Pokémon roared, staring down toward the Tentacruel.

Before the Gyarados could blink, Tentacruel spewed a small ball of sludge toward it. Letting out what seemed as if it might be an angry laugh, the Gyarados whipped the ball with its tail, allowing it to dissolve into the already murky water. It then lunged forward with its fangs, tearing several of Tentacruel’s tentacles off before it could react. The Tentacruel, already in pain by this point, simply whipped at the serpentine Pokémon a few more times before passing out, and, in turn, being recalled by its trainer.

Without blinking, Red tossed out a fifth Poké Ball, releasing a Hitmonchan. The Punching Pokémon quickly let an electrically charged punch slam into the water, electrocuting Blue’s Gyarados with ease, itself taking only minimal damage. Blue grunted, now less than pleased, and tossed out a fifth Pokémon of his own, an Exeggutor. The Coconut Pokémon quickly closed its eyes, absorbing whatever necessary nutrients it could from the water, before Blue pressed a button on the wall behind him.

After a few seconds, several small discs disconnected themselves from the floor, revealing a series of drains, which quickly emptied the room. “Now that that’s done with,” Blue said, “Stomp.” Exeggutor nodded, lunging toward Hitmonchan with its large, heavy feet. Hitmonchan quickly ducked to the side, countering with a fiery punch. Suddenly, Blue came to a realization. “You’ve got one Pokémon left.” He laughed nervously. “After this, you’ve got one Pokémon left, and I know what it is!”

Red said nothing. “I know what you’ve got!” Blue shouted. “Exeggutor, Explosion!” Startled, Red leapt to the floor. Blue laughed, as he pressed another button on the wall, causing two thick, transparent shields to extend from the floor as the explosion quickly enveloped the area between them. As the smoke cleared up, the shields descended back to the floor, and the two trainers called their Pokémon back.

“Are you ready to finish this?” Blue asked. “Charizard, go!” Blue tossed his Poké Ball to the floor, as Red did the same, sending out his own Venusaur. The two Pokémon eyed each other cautiously, taking steps forward and backward as they circled around the room. It would have been obvious to a spectator, had there been any, that they had done this before.

“Charizard, Flamethrower!” Blue shouted, before laughing again. As Red’s Venusaur closed its eyes for a moment before taking the force of the attack head-on, a wide grin spread across his face. “We’ve battled time and time again, but one thing has never changed. Your Venusaur has never beaten my Charizard! Fire Blast!” The Venusaur, again, took the full force of the attack, hardly able to stand afterward.

“Did you really think you could win here, Red?” Blue asked. “Now, of all places? Against me? I’m stronger than you, Red, and I always have been. Those last few times were just flukes. This is my real power. I’ll have to admit, you came closer than I expected you to, but now is where it ends. Your victory ends here, as does my defeat. From this day forth, I am the strongest trainer in the world, and there’s nothing you can do to stop me! Look at you! That Venusaur can hardly stand! There’s no way you can beat me, unless-” His eyes widened. “No, you couldn’t have... You must have! You’ve been biding this whole time, haven’t you?”

Red nodded, as his Venusaur suddenly lunged toward Charizard, slamming into its stomach. The Flame Pokémon let out a wheeze before it was slammed into the wall, the flame on its tail sputtering inches away from death. As Blue silently recalled his unconscious Pokémon, Red smiled, stepping forward, and quietly uttered two, simple words.
“I win.”

Last edited:
Round 2, Entry 1: At the Top of the Mountain, author BlazikenEX

I let out a small groan as I pulled myself up over the top of the mountain. “Brenton!” I shouted, with a certain aggravation in my voice. “Come over here for a second. I want to talk to you.”

Brenton, our leader at the time, turned his head. “Talk to me? What about?”

I laughed again, this time letting out a harsher, more serious laugh. “What about? You know very well what I want to talk to you about!”

The expression in his face faded. “Oh, earlier today. You must mean the contract with Douglas, then.” He sighed and shook his head. “Come on, Maxie. You know as well as I do that we can’t risk angering Team Aqua. They’re too powerful a foe to upset. We don’t have the time or the money to spend fighting with them any longer; besides, it won’t be too bad. They establish a new lake here and there, and we form a few new islands. It’s win-win.”

I gritted my teeth. “Win-win? You call this win-win?” I pulled a handful of papers out of my pocket. “You’re relinquishing all of our power! With this, we won’t be able to do anything! The seas will continue to dominate, just as they always have!”

“Ah,” he said, “but won’t they also, be relinquishing their power? Like I said, we don’t have enough resources for a war. It’s better this way. Besides, it’s not like we can stop the rain.”

“Oh,” I said, tearing the contract in half, “we can.”

He winced as he ran over to grab the pieces. “What did you have to do that for? You’ve only made it harder to read over again. Wait,” he said, realization flowing into his eyes, “I see what you’re doing. You’re trying to take over, aren’t you?”

I grinned. “You catch on quickly, don’t you?” I motioned behind me. “Come on out, men!” All of a sudden, rocks began to tumble down all around us, as Team Magma members began pouring out from behind them. I laughed. “Did you think I was the only one upset by all of this? The whole team is outraged! You couldn’t have possibly expected to last much longer after this.”

He sighed, pulling a Poké Ball from his belt. “I didn’t want it to have to come to this,” he said. “Aggron,” he shouted, as he tossed the Ball into the air, “tear him apart!” As the Ball touched the ground, it began to glow, letting out a bright, white light. The white light quickly solidified, taking the form of a large beast, soon solidifying even further into a fearsome Aggron. He chuckled. “This isn’t the first time this happened, you know. I’ve seen quite a few rebellions. They always end the same way, you know. Once their pesky ringleader is taken care of, the rest come to their senses. Now,” he said, as the Aggron began to charge, “die!”

I laughed. “One Pokémon? That’s all you’re sending up against me?” I tossed several handfuls of Poké Balls from my pockets into the air, releasing dozens of Poochyena across Mt. Chimney’s dormant peak as I took several steps backwards. “Tabitha,” I shouted, turning to a man behind me, “get ready!”

The administrator nodded, as he moved his hand over his watch, holding it inches from its smooth surface, while Brenton’s Aggron effortlessly knocked my Pokémon aside. “Ready? Ready for what? Are you planning to have the whole team send their Pokémon against me?” He laughed. “You’re weak! You’re all weak! My Aggron could take them all on without breaking a sweat! I’d like to see you try and stop me with your pathetic Pokémon!”

“Pokémon?” I laughed. “Pokémon? You think I’d use Pokémon against you? Come on, Brenton, you know me better than that. The Poochyena were only a distraction! Tabitha,” I shouted, as I took a few more steps back, “now!”

Tabitha nodded, laughing as he slammed his palm down onto his watch, while the rest of the Team quickly began backing away. Then, all of a sudden, Brenton’s eyes widened with surprise as a small parcel set in the center of Mt. Chimney’s peak exploded, quickly plunging several layers of rock, along with Brenton and his Aggron, into the newly visible pool of lava in Mt. Chimney’s core. I let out a laugh of my own, cackling madly as I rose my hands into the air, declaring that I, Maxie, was Team Magma’s new leader. Then, I stepped back, waiting for the mountain to erupt.

Several minutes later, I sighed, swearing under my breath. I motioned for Tabitha to come closer. “It looks like we’ll need more power,” I whispered. “Do you know of anywhere where we might get it?”

He scratched his head. “A meteorite, maybe? Something from space should do the trick.”

I laughed. “Perfect. Go and get one.” He nodded, quickly running off down the mountain. I snapped my fingers. “Courtney,” I muttered, “come here.” The Team’s other administrator nodded, running toward me. “I’ve sent Tabitha to get a meteorite. Do you have any idea how we might harness its power?” She shrugged. I gritted my teeth. “Find out and make it happen.”

“I will, sir.” She ran down the mountain as well, toward one of the Team’s hidden laboratories. Letting out a sigh of relief, I stepped forward. “Members of Team Magma,” I shouted, gesturing to what was now the entire Team standing around me. “As you know, I am prepared to take Brenton’s place as your Leader. However, I wouldn’t want to do something like this without a fair vote. All who are opposed to this can speak now!” The crowd was predictably silent. After all, I had taken care of those who disagreed much earlier.

I smiled. “Good. Now that I’ve got your attention, listen up. As you may or may not know, Brenton has signed a contract relinquishing most of our power to that miserable collection of pond scum we call an adversary, Team Aqua. You’ve seen what I think of that, but soon, it won’t matter anymore. For,” I said, raising my hands into the air, “soon a day will come when there is no more sea left for them to treasure! Soon a day will come when rain will be a distant memory!

“Soon,” I continued, my voice growing louder, “we shall awaken the mighty beast that sleeps within this mountain: the mighty godlike Pokémon, Groudon!” The Grunts cheered. “But I cannot do this without your help. Continue your work for the team, put in more effort than ever before, and this day will come sooner than ever!” I gestured once again to the surrounding members. “Now,” I shouted, my voice growing louder still, “get back to work.”

Suddenly, the crowd quieted, as all of Team Magma slowly began to move down the mountain, murmuring quietly as they did so. Once they were at a safe distance, I began to laugh again, even louder and with more force than before, for soon, Team Aqua would be history. Soon, Groudon would be under my control. Soon, I, Maxie, would rule all of Hoenn, and soon, the world.

Last edited:
Round 2, Entry 2: At the top of the Mountain, author Pikamaster

Why did I help him? I shouldn’t have, not after all that they have done to me, but I did. It’s almost like I want my heart to be broken by them, but when it is, the pain is overwhelming.

These were the thoughts of a lonely pink kitten, the legendary Pokémon, Mew. Standing at only one foot, eight inches high, and weighing only a slight nine pounds, Mew looked like she could never withstand the howling winds of the fierce blizzards that ravaged the slopes of the stark mountain that she stood at the peak of; that or the extreme cold. No one who knew her would ever think such a thing, they knew that Mew was powerful enough to do almost anything that she wanted, but plenty didn’t know of her; Mew liked it that way.

Mew sighed; eternal life wasn’t as good as humans made it out to be, especially when being seen by the most populous species on the planet was not an option.

She thought back to the event that made her want to start interacting with the species that had sparked the un-ending war of emotions inside of her; Mew could remember it like it had happened yesterday.

It had started like any other day, but that had quickly changed. As soon as Mew had risen out of the river where she slept, and had popped her protective bubble, she could sense a psychic power that’s strength rivaled her own. It was creating a massive storm, and such a storm would cause destruction like the world had never seen before.

So with a sigh that practically screamed “I am annoyed!”, Mew had set off towards the source of this new power. Even though it had only taken a few hours, the pink kitten’s sanity was nearly gone when she reached her destination; passing over a human city and then finding more humans at the island that she arrived at had dredged up some old, unwanted emotions. The same thing had happened to her a few years ago, too.

A slightly hysteric Mew had then explored the island a little; she finally revealed herself to all present when she created a pink bubble of pure energy to stop a human from crushing his body on a large, stone statue.

What am I doing? This is a human, he deserves to die!

Mew remembered thinking that at the time, and then immediately popping the bubble afterward, already in hysterics. Mew then looked at the source of the rivaling psychic power; she had gasped at what she had seen. The very image of her brother had been staring her in the face.

Yes, his physical appearance was different, but Mew had been able to sense the same Pokémon that had died because he wouldn’t kill for food. That Pokémon was buried deep down under thick layers of hatred and confusion, but mostly hatred.

Breaking out of her memories for a few seconds, Mew wondered how the clone of her brother was doing. Created as a new species of Pokémon and named “Mewtwo”, he was different from who he had been, but yet he was the same. Mew had sworn not to interact with him until he found who he really was, not who the humans had made him to be, but she regretted this at times.

Even though I know that he wouldn’t, he could probably kill me if he wanted to. I would never do anything but block his attacks, just like I did almost a year ago…

Sinking back into her pool of thought, Mew continued reminiscing. The battlefield had grown hot with the intensity of Mew and Mewtwo’s blasts of energy hitting each other, and the psychic barrier that kept out the effects of the storm that was raging outside didn’t release the heat that had been generated by battle.

At the time, Mew had completely lost her sanity and was almost constantly laughing; the ridiculousness of the situation had overwhelmed her. Here she was, surrounded by creatures she avoided at all costs- oh how she had hated humans-, her brother was miraculously back from the dead after centuries, even if he was more murderous than before, and she was blocking attacks to save her life.

And then it had ended; the human that she had saved had thrown himself between the last two energy blasts and turned to stone. It was only then when Mew saw that a battle between Pokémon and their clones had been raging around here; they had all started to cry.

The pink kitten- in shock that the human had sacrificed himself for the Pokémon- had watched the tears of the Pokémon and the tears of the clones revive the transformed one; everything had gone well after that. Mewtwo, shocked and impressed by what one boy had done, had had a change in heart about his feeling towards the creatures that crated him, and secretly, Mew had begun to, too.

After the humans were teleported back to where they had come from, and their memories erased, Mew had briefly told her brother who he really was, what his past was, and what he had to do before they would meet again, she had flown off afterward. Wanting to be alone with her thoughts, Mew had come to the top of the mountain where her brother’s bones lay. This had happened close to a year ago, and Mew still hadn’t moved from her spot: the very peak of the mountain.

I now know why I saved him, my memories make that clear. I do still love humans, no matter what they do to me. That is because I know that some of them are good, some of them are willing to make sacrifices, not for themselves, but for Pokémon.

Mew started to feel a strange pressure building up inside of her, and she saw the space around her start to distort and pulse. Something was going to happen, and she didn’t know what it was.

Now afraid that she might not get the words out in time, Mew channeled a steady stream of psychic power down through the mountain, burning the words she thought onto the boulder that covered her brother’s grave. The language was that of Unown symbols, the language that humans and Pokémon had shared once, but that was before it was forgotten by both sides a long time ago.

Yes, it is easier to only look at the evil things that humans do, but ignoring those who do good isn’t right either, it just would not be fair to group them together. I guess what I’m telling myself is this: I will always forgive humans, no matter what they do.

The pressure inside of Mew had reached its breaking point. So, with a cry that defied the boundaries of time and space themselves, the strained kitten released the pent up energy, and then her world went black.

“Look, she’s waking up!”

“What makes you think that it is a she? Little pest…”

Mew opened her eyes to find a young human girl- she looked about seven or eight- crouched down next to her; the girl’s dark yellow eyes were alight with worry. There were three other humans standing a small distance behind her, but they weren’t as interested in the fallen Pokémon.

Quickly springing up and searching her surroundings, Mew saw four humans, everything else was black. Mew instantly knew where she was; the place had been described to her by her brother a long time ago.

This was a place where time and space had no meaning. This was a place where the suffocating blackness was complete and eternal, save the one pool of light that enveloped Mew and any other creatures near her. This was the Hall of Origin.

Mew floated upwards until she was about five feet from the ground, feeling the human’s eyes following her now. Certain that she was now the center of attention, Mew addressed the expectant humans, using telepathy.

Welcome to the Hall of Origin.
She heard a small gasp of recognition and awe from one of the humans as the name, at least one of them knew something.

Again, welcome, I am from the third generation of Mews. My ancestor created the world that you live in, she also gave birth to every species that inhabits it. This includes humans. Over time, almost every human has lost the DNA strand that directly links them to my ancestor. Out ancestor. You four are some of the few that have not.

The legendary Pokémon paused to let this sink in, proceeding to examine the group in front of her, but not just their physical appearance.

The girl who had shown concern for Mew had her hair tied into a long, yellow ponytail and was wearing an orange dress. This one had a kind, compassionate heart and loved Pokémon more than Mew ever thought that a human could.

Directing her attention at the next human, Mew saw a little girl who couldn’t be older than four. She was wearing a light blue dress and had short, wavy, light-brown hair. This girl was not old enough to really be good or evil, but she didn’t seem to misbehave for the most part from what Mew could sense.

The third human was a man in his early thirties, and he looked like he was sucking a lemon. His clothes were torn and burned in many places, but the parts that still had color were a bright red bright red, just like his short hair. Mew cringed inwardly, this man was not good. Even though he wasn’t exactly evil, he would do anything that his own misguided beliefs told him was best, even murder.

Disgusted by the fact that she was related to someone so disgusting, Mew turned to the fourth human; a woman of about twenty-five met Mew’s gaze without flinching, and then held it. Her waist length blond hair cascaded over her shoulders, almost completely hiding her Remoraid earrings. Dressing completely in black, it was in perfect contrast to her personality. This human was old enough to know what was right and what was wrong, and she seemed to try hard to always do what was right.

“So why are we here? How are we here, and what do you want with us?” the woman asked, protectively pulling the youngest girl closer, but still not breaking eye contact with Mew.

Mew nodded approval at the challenger’s courage, and then explained.

You are here because I teleported you here, and I teleported you here to give gifts to two of you, you have all been brought here from pivotal moments in your lives. If you already exist like two of you do, I can make something happen that will greatly benefit you.

Mew now nodded at the woman and the girl that she held, Mew knew that the three of them were all from the same dimension. Not that she knew this when they were brought here with the release of her power. The pink kitten was now half going off of what she had been told, and half making it up as she went along; the gift giving idea had been a stroke of genius.

Nodding at the other two humans, Mew continued her speech.

You two, on the other hand, don’t exist in my time yet; your dimension hasn’t even been created. If either of you are chosen to receive my gifts, I can make them more permanent than what the other two may receive.

“But-but-but, I’m right here, aren’t I? How can I not exist if I’m standing right here? Am I imagining myself existing?”

No, I didn’t mean it like that, it’s a little too complicated to explain… Let’s just move on...

Floating up to the woman, Mew used her long tail to lightly touch the mystified human’s forehead. You are my first choice, Mew said.

But the woman smiled, and shaking her head, pushed Mew’s tail away.

“Give it to one of the children; they could use it more than I.” she said, presenting the nervous girl that she held to Mew.

The pink kitten, once again, nodded her approval, and then lowered herself by a couple feet. After searching the child’s desires, Mew spoke privately to her.

When you most need it, something will happen, an event of some sort, although I do not know what it will be. But whatever happens, it will make what you most want happen; it will make your family come back together.

The now smiling girl threw her arms around Mew, only releasing the tight embrace when Mew gently started to pull away.

Going over to the other little girl and, despite the outraged cry of the other human, proclaimed her as her second choice. However, just like the first chosen, the wide-eyed human shook her head and tried to refuse, asking for Mew to give the gift to the Pokémon of the world instead.

Let’s compromise, shall we?
Mew asked with a mischievous grin. I’ll make it so that once every ten years, your birthplace will give the next human born there special powers of healing of Pokémon and communication with them; you may or may not be lucky enough to be a special one. Mew said, knowing full well that this girl would be gifted.

Floating back to her previous spot, the spot right in front of all of the humans, Mew spoke again. We are done here. You will all forget about this meeting, but I will check in on all of you on occasion, although I will not contact you. Farewell.

And it all would have ended, except the man began to complain.

“I am about to control Groudon and finally achieve my goal, and you bring me here to tell me that I’m NOT going to get a gift from you? Why did you waste my time, you stupid pink beast.”

“There’s always one in every group, isn’t there, can we hurry? I’m about to battle the Sinnoh league champion.” the blond human muttered.

Mew used Psychic to force the man’s mouth closed, and then hovered to a point a few inches from his face. Using much more force than necessary, she channeled her thoughts straight into his.

If I gave you a gift, you would surely use it for evil. I will not allow such a thing to happen. I know that you will, one day, achieve your goal, but you shall fail in the end. I beg of you, once you are born, do not stray towards the path of evil, or else Guile will kill you.

Then, with a twitch of her tail, Mew ended the meeting, also taking away all memory of it from the humans when they were teleported back. With a last look around the Hall of Origin, Mew teleported herself away, wondering if she would ever see it again, deciding that she probably wouldn’t.

Now, back on the mountaintop, Mew was happy. For the first time in a long time, she had interacted with humans, and it felt good. After lazily using a Spatial Rend to start the parallel dimension that two of the humans she had met would inhabit, Mew used Teleport again.

Floating high above the bustling city of Celadon, the contented kitten let out a whisper of a thought to all of its inhabitants.

Some day, we will be together again. Not today, maybe not even this century, but I will be waiting for that day. I will always be waiting.

Last edited:
Round 2, Entry 3:At the Top of the Mountain, author Steel_Winger

“Hey Jet, what are you looking at?”

I leapt a foot out of the water in surprise as my friend swam gracefully up next to me, her broad fins swaying gently with the breeze as she gave me that smile that she always had for me. I calmed my nerves as Gracia, that lovable Mantine, looked up at the sky and saw a big, teal Pokemon with red wings and a white underbelly glided beyond the waterfall that led to Sinnoh’s Victory Road.

“Oh, that Salamence, huh? I assume whoever is riding on it is a very powerful trainer. Wonder what other Pokemon he or she has with her?”

“I’m curious myself. Should we follow?” Gracia put a contemplative look on her face. Which meant that her face showed no emotion. But I could tell, her tail was undulating even more so than usual. When it slowed, she said, “Eh, might as well, little Remoraid buddy. Nothing better to do right now.”

So it was with our hearts full of curiosity that Gracia and I pursued the giant dragon. We reached the waterfall and swam up against the current with ease. However, when we arrived at the top, the Salamence turned red and vanished into a round capsule, those red and white Poke Balls humans use to carry their Pokemon. I sure hoped it was okay in there, it seemed so small.

The dragon’s trainer was relatively young and very pretty if I say so myself. Her brown hair cascaded much like the waterfall Gracia and I swam up, down to the middle of her back. Her green eyes were gentle, yet they held such an ambition in them that it wouldn’t take much to make her battle ready. An orange tank top, brown shorts, and white sneakers was her ensemble. Her pale skin glistened in the sun, almost as if she could pass for the avatar of a heavenly body or something.

This… girl… was… beautiful! Oh… so… love--

“Jet.”

“Huh?” Gracia’s sudden call snapped me out of my reverie and focused my attention on her. “I-I wasn’t staring, if that’s what you think… ha ha…” I ducked under the water feeling embarrassed, which didn’t help hide me from my friend’s knowing look as she slipped under along with me. She grabbed my tail fin with her mouth and gently tugged me back above the surface.

“You like looking at human girls. You can’t help it. I mean, they’re everywhere in the water around here, so don’t feel bad.”

“…Thanks for being understanding,” I said as I smiled at her. I wanted to stare at the pretty girl longer. It was not to happen, though, as she was gone without a trace. Into the Pokemon Center that was was to our left.

“I wonder what her name was?” I wondered out loud. “What is that ambition I saw in her eyes?”

------------

The next day, Gracia and I came back up the waterfall again, much earlier this time so we wouldn’t have to tail anyone who was coming here. Once we made it up the mountain of crashing water, we saw her again. She lay lying in the grass on her back, one leg over the other, arms behind her head, drinking in the beautiful day. Only this time, she wasn’t alone.

She had all of her Pokemon surrounding her.

Of course, I noticed the Salamence next to her. It seemed like a sleeping beast (well, it actually was a sleeping beast) that you really didn’t want to have to wake up for fear that it’ll mash you in its jaws before swallowing you without remorse. A Ninetales leapt onto its back and curled up into a ball, nestled between the dragon’s wings. Hanging from the roof of the Pokemon Center was a Crobat. It was asleep, which was just as well, since Crobat are only really active at nighttime. A little ways beyond the sleepyheads, I could see a big, sweaty Hariyama who was practicing his Force Palm attack against the side of the mountain that was Victory Road. I saw a Clefable near the Hariyama, trying to shake a palm tree so it could drop a coconut. She was having no such luck. She stepped back from the tree, put a finger on each hand up into the air and started chanting. After about 10 seconds, her body glowed with a white aura, and at the end of the chant, she breathed deeply…

And let out a very loud noise that sounded like scraping metal!

Hariyama stopped to put its large hands over its ears. The young girl immediately snappe dup, looking in Clefable’s direction. She didn’t get to say anything though, as Ninetales was flung from Salamence and landed directly on her head, knocking the wind out of them. Heh, wind; Salamence was creating so much of it with its rapidly beating wings it blew Clefable’s coconut right off the tree and onto her head, stopping the horrible noise while rendering her unconscious. Crobat had it’s eyes wide open, and didn’t move an inch while he was on his head on the ground. The noise had shocked him stiff, literally.

Gracia and I would’ve been laughing our fins off, but the Metal Sound reached us as well. It was dimmer because we were so far away, but it still induced a bit of a momentary headache before we recovered.

After everyone was re-oriented, the girl gathered all of her Pokemon around her. A gentle breeze whispered through her hair as she looked into the distance at the entrance to Victory Road.

“Guys, this will be the final natural obstacle before we face the Elite 4 and hopefully Cynthia as well. This mountain of a journey that I’ve been traveling for almost 4 years now… I want all of you to know that I appreciate all of you for working your hardest. We’ve been able to get along during the best and the worst of times.

“Taz,” she turned to her Hariyama, you’re like a juggernaut, you know, so strong and powerful. You’re like my bodyguard, always have been since I befriended you in the Granite Cave. Don’t stop getting stronger, love.

“Roy.” The Salamence was being addressed now. “I remember when I found you in Meteor Falls, you actually tried to sneak attack me when we weren’t looking! But it’s a good thing that you tripped and fell when you did, otherwise, you may not have gotten captured.

“Sophia.” Ninetales perked up. “You’re… how can I describe you best… a friendly enigma. Maybe it was because you lived on Mt. Pyre that you were so, yet it seems like you understand what’s in our hearts. It’s a good thing. Don’t stop being compassionate.

“Zephyr.” She was now addressing the Crobat flying above her. “Shoal Cave was kind of cold when I found you, and I’m not sure what propelled me to capture you. Yet,I see that it was a great choice I made in you. Thanks for all you done.

“And last but not least, Raine. The quirkiest Clefable to walk the planet. You’re durable in mind, body and spirit, and it just radiates from you. Don’t let it dim, ever. You hear me?”

She pointed to Victory Road so that all could see. “At the top of that mountain lies Cynthia and the Elite 4. Our destiny. It awaits us. Now, let’s be off!”

As that lovely woman marched down the path towards Victory Road, I could see the sun shine even brighter, almost as if it was wishing her luck in the trials to come. Smiling slightly, I turned over to Gracia, and as we made our way back down the waterfall, even though I would never see that girl again, I wished her the best of luck in reaching the top of her mountain.

Last edited:
Round 2, Entry 4: At The Top Of The Mountain, author ilikegengar

The name's Hale. Molly Hale. I live simply. I'm on a quest, a journey, an adventure. Call it what you like.

I carry a pack. It has the essentials; namely my deck. Yep, sixty cards, no more, no less, covered in perfect, unmarked sleeves. I don't want to raise the eyebrows of any local judge. My skill with the cards has left lesser players questioning my integrity. I have my secrets. I have my mentors. I owe them. No one gets great at this game on their own. Maxie of Team Magma, you may have heard of him, taught me the one-hand deck cut, but I don't dare use that at a premier tournament. No, it draws attention. I like to stay quiet.

I travel this country in search of battles—Pokemon card battles. I wear a Pokeball attached to my belt. It safely contains Remoraid. He's my protector. You don't want to mess with Remoraid. His precision water shots are quite accurate, just ask anyone you see wearing an eye patch. I got him in Vegas. Fished him out of a large pond in front of some place called the Bellagio. Perhaps you've seen that fountain show. Where do you think they learned those moves? Remoraid. Like I said, we all have our mentors.

My feet have carried me to the mountains. Not the Mountain State, that's West Virginia in the east. While that state has no flat real estate, its Stark mountain where I'm at presently. A HootHoot dropped a note on my head a few days ago with an invitation. Talk about something out of Harry Potter. But here I am actually debating whether I should accept the challenge. I'm not one to pass up such an opportunity, but this challenger . . . well, let's just say we've crossed paths before.

We first met at Worlds, back when players could use trainer cards turn one. I lost the coin toss. He flips over Squirtle. Rare Candy; Blastoise ex; energy, energy, energy, energy, KO. I'm toast. Didn't even draw a card. He gloats. Whatever. Next, a city championship. I flip heads to start but no matter, he goes first with Sableye. Attaches special dark, one shots my Hoppip with 'Over Confidence'. More gloating. Next-- Nationals. Me: Luxray GL start. Him: Machop, Rare Candy, Machamp, fight energy, knock out. Our last encounter—Regionals. My hand: 2 Magikarps, Pokemon collector, Broken time space, Pokemon rescue, 2 warp points, and a Claydol. Lady Luck doesn't have my number so I bench my second Magikarp. Call it donk insurance. Collector can grab 3 basics so I relaxed a bit. I win the toss. He flips over Horsea. Ok. I top deck an energy, attack with Sea Splash, flip tails, end turn. He draws, Rare Candy, Kingra, energy, benches Crobat, Flash bite, 10 to my benched Magikarp. Crap. That's enough for Kingdra's 60/20 for the double knock out. I need to get better insurance. I'm left to walk away. I feel his glee over my utter defeat. A dog would be licking its wounds. I shrugged it off.

So here I sit at the top of the mountain. Should I head north toward the challenger or west toward the oceans? I know what Remoraid would suggest. That fish out of water needs the oceans now and then. He needs a vacation. I need a battle.

Last edited:
Round 3, Entry 1: Feelings, author Pikamaster

Shunned, mocked, bullied. This was my life. Horrifying.

Then you found me, you caught me. You named me! Suddenly I had a purpose. Astonishing.

There were others, but you loved us all. You cared for us all. I was equal. Bliss.

We entered contests together. We won. And then you turned on me. Heartbreak.

I left, but didn’t. I followed you; I still loved you. I waited for you. Patience.

You felt remorse. You called me back, but I didn’t hear you. Tragedy.

You needed me, I came. I evolved. I saved you. Milotic.

Together again, together forever, Ruby. Eternity.

Round A, Entry 1, A Gengar’s Ghastly Tale, author ilikegengar

"I need help! I need help!" The door to the clinic office smashed against the opposite wall as a young girl ran into the room, holding a bundle in her arms. She ran around the room wide-eyed repeating her plea not knowing what exactly to do now that she’d arrived at the Pokemon Center.

Chansey pointed at the examination table in the center of the room motioning to place the patient there. The young lady leaned over the table but was still reluctant to release the bundle until she felt a soft hand on her shoulder. She turned and looked at the person standing behind her. Just the sight of the pink uniform and the crisp white hat began to set her at ease. "We are here to help," said Nurse Joy. "I need to see your pokemon. Please tell me what’s the problem."

"I-I-I don’t know what happened. I don’t know what’s wrong. It’s, it’s my Gengar. Please help me."

"Ok, said the nurse. "Let me see your Gengar and you can tell me its symptoms."

"It’s a he. His name is Gus. I’ve had him over a year. I was battling today. A tough battle. He was holding his own but it was a close match, very close. Then, out of nowhere, he was hit with some sort of mist, then collapsed on the ground in a slump. He just lay there. I didn’t know what to do so I did what I was trained to do; I quickly retreated him into his Pokeball. I’ve never seen him so exhausted, so defeated in a battle like that. I thought that maybe he was poisoned. He’s been poisoned before by a Crobat and a Skuntank, a Seviper. . . . lots of times in battle, but this was different. . . ." Her voice cracked. "But I didn’t know what to do! I just ran all the way over here to see you."

"Put Gus on the table," said Nurse Joy, "I’ll see what we can do."

"WE?"

"I’m talking about you, me and my assistant, Chansey. Chansey is my personal assistant. We Nurse Joys don’t work alone; we each have several helpers."

"There are more of you?
"Yes, Joy is a family name. There are many Joys. What is your name?"
"Oh, my name is Brenda."

"Nice to meet you Brenda, now may I please see your Gengar?"

Brenda bent over the table and set down her bundle. She gingerly unwrapped the blue blanket to reveal the red and white Pokeball containing Gus. She tapped the ball and it popped open. A flash of purple zipped out and floated above the exam room.

Brenda gasped then screamed. "No! No! Where’s Gus? What happened to him? Who’s this?" She hopped from one foot to the other like a small child would, so great was her distress.

Nurse Joy and Chansey let out a sigh of relief. There was nothing wrong with this Pokemon, for their eyes gazed upon a happy, healthy Pokemon.

"HAUNTER!" the floating Pokemon called. "Haunnnn—terrrrr. Haunter, haunt,"

"Where’s my Gengar? Someone took my Gengar! And they gave me their Haunter instead!" Brenda began to cry hysterically.

"Any chance you were battling an Omastar?" asked Nurse Joy.

"Why yes! How did you know?" said Brenda, quickly trying to compose herself.

"Primal Swirl," mumbled Nurse Joy. "You mentioned Gus was hit with some mist and now you have a Haunter in your Pokeball. There are only a few ways to explain it. Omastar hit Gus with a devolution spray. Gus has de-evolved."

"What? He de-evolved? I didn’t know that could happen."

"Yes, it does, but not too often. It’s not too popular a move. You mentioned the battle was pretty close. One of Omastar’s attacks, Time Spiral, de-evolves its opponent with a devolution spray."

"But what about Gus? What about my Gengar? What-what, what," she sputtered.

Nurse Joy approached the floating Haunter for a closer look. Chansey flapped her arms. "Chansey, chansey, chansey," she cooed to their patient. Haunter grinned at Chansey as he gently hovered above the exam table. His luminescent body gave off a soft purple light. Nurse Joy noted that she could almost see through him. "Haunter," he whispered back to Chansey. Nurse Joy conferred with Chansey, wrote a few notes on her clipboard and turned towards Brenda who stood by with her hands clasped tightly as in prayer, while her feet continued with their little dance, back and forth.

"He’s fine. Gus is perfectly healthy. Putting him back in the Pokeball for a rest was the proper thing to do. You’ve been schooled well as a Pokemon trainer."

"What do you mean he’s fine? He’s not fine. He’s a Haunter. He’s not my Gus. He’s not a Gengar, I want my Gengar back!" With that Brenda burst into tears again and sank on her knees to the floor. Her body shook from the sobbing.

Chansey was about to offer an antidote to Brenda to counteract her shock when Haunter zipped around the room and landed in front of his trainer, drifting inches from her face. Brenda must have felt the energy radiating from Haunter because she pulled her hands from her face and looked up into the eyes of the ghost Pokemon. She blinked her eyes, squeezing out the tears, trying to focus on the Haunter in front of her. A low humming sound filled the room. This wasn’t something you’d learn at the Pokemon Academy but to the distraught trainer, she recognized it immediately. "Gus! It’s you! It’s really you! Are you ok? Do you feel ok? What can I do?" She reached out her hands to touch the Haunter but he backed inches away from her grasp. That actually made Brenda giggle.

"Gus will be fine," said Nurse Joy. She went on to explain to Brenda that her Haunter is still Gus, even though he’s now a Haunter. He’ll evolve into a Gengar again but with some work and training.

"But I got Gengar in a trade."

"And that is one way to get Haunter to evolve is to trade him."

"But if I trade him then I won’t have him any more."

"Simple," explained Nurse Joy, "just trade him back."

Brenda thought about that and then realized the possible choices she and Haunter now had. She could improve her Pokemon training skills on her way to becoming a Pokemon master by training Gus to be a Gengar, perhaps teaching him some moves Gus as a Gengar didn’t have before like "poltergeist".

"Oh, thank you, Nurse Joy! Thank you Chansey!" Brenda called Gus into the Pokeball, fastened it onto her belt and happily left the Pokemon Center, sucking on a watermelon-flavored lollipop, courtesy of Chansey.

"Well Chansey, there goes another satisfied customer."

"Channnnnnseeeeeeeeey."

"You’re right. Better order more pops. Nationals is coming up."

Last edited:
Round A, Entry 2, author CyberManetric EX

Deep in the dark Eterna Forest lies a mansion. Once inhabited by humans not that long ago it is now overrun by ghost Pokémon. Legend has it that those who can please one particular ghost Pokémon will grant the guest of the mansion great happiness. A mischievous little Dustox decided to pay a visit to what is now called the Old Chateau. He used his Confusion attack to open the doors to the old building and went inside.

“Hello, anybody home,” called out the Dustox. It was dark inside the Old Chateau with very little light. Dustox began to like this environment. Only a single candle on the dinning room table was lit. Dustox floated into that room and stared at the light. It stared at the small light for several minutes. Dustox became so obsessed with the candle light that it never noticed the cauldron in the kitchen that was boiling.

“Who goes there,” asked an eerie voice. Suddenly the candle blew out and Dustox panicked.

“Hey, I could’ve stared at that for at least another five hours,” shouted Dustox. Then a Mismagius appeared right in front of Dustox.

“You have entered my lair. What has brought you here,” chanted the Mismagius. Dustox suddenly became filled with joy.

“That’s right. You can casts spells. Please make it so that there will always be a shiny light near me so I can be happy.” Mismagius floated around Dustox and pondered for a moment.

“What do you have to offer me in return you pest,” asked Mismagius. Then Dustox shook its entire body until it molted a layer of scales.

“A shed shell, all yours to do with as you wish,” said Dustox as it lifted it with its Confusion attack. Mismagius seemed disgusted at what it just saw, but seemed to accept it anyway.

“Very well. I shall cast my spell of light and happiness for you,” said Mismagius as it carried the shed shell and then placed it on its shelf. Then it picked up a vial and dumped a green liquid into the cauldron. “First I shall add some Politoad’s blood to this mixture.” Now it was Dustox’s turn to be disgusted.

“This is what it takes to cast some kind of light spell?”

“Don’t question my magical abilities!” Then Mismagius then grabbed some tufts of fur and dumped those into the cauldron. “Now for some Pikachu’s fur. Electric Pokemon’s fur are great for my light spell.” Mismagius dropped two tufts of fur into the cauldron.

“Pikachu don’t live in this forest. How did you get those,” asked Dustox. Mismagius then winked at Dustox as it remembered using confuse ray on a trainer with its Scyther and Pikachu.

“Many Pokemon give me gifts for the spells I manifest for them,” Mismagius lied. Then Dustox looked at its shelf of items and then saw a another Pokemon.

“Hey a Skitty,” said Dustox as it poked at it.

“Ah yes,” whispered Mismagius as it floated over and petted the Skitty with its stubby arms. “Cute Skitty, cute Skitty – SKITTY DIED FIVE YEARS AGO,” shouted Mismagius. “It goes in the cauldron.” Then it threw Skitty into cauldron. As it was dumped into the cauldron it let out a yelp.

“No it didn’t. I just heard Skitty scream,” rebottled Dustox.

“Who’s casting the spell here,” shouted Mismagius as it got up in Dustox’s face with an evil glare in its eyes. Dustox suddenly got very nervous.

“G-got it,” whimpered Dustox. Then Mismagius went over to the dinning table of the Old Chateau and picked up the candle. Then it threw that into the cauldron as well. Then Mismagius started whispering and chanting. The chants sounded like human speech to Dustox but they were so jumbled that it couldn’t understand what the heck Mismagius was saying. The Cauldron began to glow with an eerie white light.

Then the cauldron began to boil over and the light began to shine upward light a geyser. Dustox never had seen so much beautiful light before. Then it above the cauldron stopped glowing and floating right above was one of the tufts of Pikachu’s hair and it was glowing like a nightlight.

“Ooh, pretty,” said Dustox. Then Mismagius placed on the top of Dustox’s antennas.

“This should last 48 hours. If I had more ingrediants like a Shinx’s tail or a sample or Rotom’s DNA it would last longer,” explained Mismagius. Dustox then began to fly out of the Old Chateau.

“I don’t care. This is awesome and I love it. Thank you witchy Pokemon,” called out Dustox as it left the building. Mismagius then watched as the shining fur shine in the forest, but less then a minute the shining light of the fur Mismagius had just conjured faded.

“Oops, did I say 48 hours. I meant 48 seconds. What a stupid customer. Now I can use his Shed Shell for a beauty skin spell for myself,” Mismagius contently said to itself. Then it went back to its cauldron. Another satisfying day of spell casting went in Mismagius’ favor.

Last edited:
Round A, Entry 3, Why, author yellowfire7

Dark. Cold. Unfeeling. That was the void that surrounded me. Nothing, stretching to nowhere. I did not even exist within it.

Suddenly, I was; I existed. I was limp and empty, moved and jerked about by something I could not otherwise sense. Feeling overcame me. I felt myself becoming more and more, the sheer euphoria of existence flooding me, along with something I could not describe. It was not physical; I could tell that much, but otherwise I could not describe it.

Then, there was another feeling, less pleasant. Later, I would learn to call this pain, and the place it occurred my face. It was repeated, in and out, and then light came to me. I was looking up into a bright light. Eventually a face came into focus, but everything else remained a blur. Then, the dark returned.

I panicked. It thought that, once again, I was not. I tried to move, but couldn’t, and realized I still was. I was safe. After an eternity, or a moment – it was hard to tell after so little time in this world – the light returned and I found another face, not the same as the first. Soon, I would learn that the first face was a boy and the second was a girl, but for now I could only tell that they were different. I was neither; I was a doll.

It came as quite a shock to realize that. The girl picked me up, my limbs hanging limply and my head leaning back, and embraced me. Then she ran over to the boy and embraced him as well, with me still in her grasp. There were others there as well, but I do not remember the details. Eventually, they all left and the girl took me to another room, placing me down on the floor. After a moment of inspecting my surroundings, which were rapidly becoming less blurry and more defined, I realized there was an adjoining room that looked exactly like the one I was in. I examined it, noticing the white desk, the lamp, and the bed were all in the exact same place, but where I should be, there was only a blue lump. The girl came back in and picked me up, and as an identical girl picked up the blue blob in the other room, I finally realized it. There was no other room, simply a reflection of the one I was in. And I was the blue blob with the short limbs, the awkward tail, the crooked yellow mouth, and the staring red eyes. It did not seem to matter much to the girl, though, so it did not matter to me.

You played with me. It was not much, mostly you carrying me around with you almost everywhere. I found to my dismay that I was unable to move my limbs at all, even when you set me down and left. The first time you did so, I was terrified that you had left me, but you returned. You always did. And when you did, I loved you all the more.

We spent so much time together; especially when the boy was around. He came over quite often, and when he did, I was almost never out of your reach. Even afterwards, you would spend noticeably more time with me than normal. Not that I minded, but it made me wish that I was able to move and talk like you could, so that you would know what you meant to me. But I never was able to.

One day, I noticed that they boy had not come over for a while. A few years had passed since I had come into existence, and you had grown. You still played with me, but not as often and not for as long. It was mostly placement; I would be on your dresser as you wrote, or on your bed as you slept. You wrote a lot. You would write long pages, often talking to yourself as you did so, and then place the pages within an envelope, and I would never see them again. A few days later, you would get another envelope back; you would tear it open and read it, and then begin on another one. The cycle seemed to repeat itself endlessly, until that one day.

That day, you opened the envelope, and you did not become happy and begin another letter. You stayed there a moment, scanning it. Then you ran out of the room. I did not know what was going on, or that this was the beginning of the end. I didn’t even realize anything was wrong until you returned to the room crying. You were sad for days after that; you no longer played with me, you barely even looked at me, and I didn’t know why. Was it something I had done?

A few days later, you brought me out of the house. It was a rare occasion that you brought me out. The sun was shining, it was warm, and overall it was a normal day. It should have been dark and stormy, as a warning, but the universe didn’t care what was happening. You, your family, and several other people got on a boat. Everyone was dressed in black. It was a little creepy, but then I realized that now everyone looked like me. It made me happy.

We went over to an island, covered by a mountain. All of us went up the mountain, you carrying me. Then everybody just stood around as someone talked. You held me tightly to you, which would have made me happy had you not been crying. I was utterly confused; what was going on? You became happy when you held me; why not now? Yet all you did was whisper “why,” over and over.

People began moving. They formed a line, marching by a certain stone. I didn’t see what separated it from all the other stones around. You walked up to it, and you stopped in front of it. You knelt in front of it, and set me down with my back to it, tears pouring from your eyes. Then you left.

I didn’t realize what had just happened for a while. I was confused, but I was certain that you would come back. You always did. A day passed, but I didn’t grow worried. You would come back. A few more days passed, and then a week as I stayed there, my confidence slowly slipping away. You would come back, right? You always had. True, you had never left me alone this long, but you couldn’t have forgotten me. No, you didn’t forget me. You knew I was here. So why did you not come back?

After a few more days, I finally knew. It had been too long. You weren’t coming back. You had left me here. And then, the rain finally came to dampen my spirits further.

The sky was dark, the rain pouring down in streams. I felt it soaking through me, the cold going to the very core of my being. The warmth and the mysterious feeling that had filled me since the beginning of my existence was fading away. After all the time we spent together, how could you simply leave me here? How could you abandon me? What did I do that was so wrong?

Had I been able to move, I would have been screaming at the pouring sky, shouting my question to the uncaring world. I would have left this cursed mountain and sought you out, demanding to know what had gone wrong, but I couldn’t do that. I simply sat there, a grin glued to my face as the waters gathered and began streaming down the mountain. Slowly, the waters tugged me away from the stone, and I fell on my back, staring into the clouds. The streams picked me up and dragged me away from the rock. Suddenly I grew aware of the fact that I was becoming nonexistent again. The feeling was fading from my arms and legs, following the warmth that had left before. Last of all, silently screaming in rage, my vision went as well, and I was once again in the void.

Something had changed. The void was just the same, as unchanging as before, but something was off. Something was different. With a shock, I realized that I felt. I thought, and felt. I was. I began struggling against the void, filling as much as I could with existence. Slowly, it worked, and I sent the void away. My eyes opened, and I saw that I was still in the stream, saved from being pushed into the sea surrounding the island by a branch that had snagged on my arm. I lay there a moment, euphoric with the knowledge that I was not in the void before realizing that the branch was a few inches above the water. It had not snagged me; I grabbed it. The knowledge confused me; I had never been able to move before. Regardless, I decided to try to pull myself out of the flow. I struggled, but my limbs did not move. The branch began to slip out of my grasp. I was going to slip! No, I was not. I was not going to let go! I would not return to the void!

Slowly, I saw my arm bend and pull the rest of me out of the water. I tried to walk to safety, out of the stream, but I fell over. My determination to live, no matter how strong, was not enough to save me. I needed something more, something enduring.

Revenge.

I slowly let the thought fill me. At first, I wasn’t sure this was right. Revenge? Against the one who had given meaning to my life, and whom I had been so eager to please? But even if she had given me meaning, she took it away. What right did she have to do that? She abandoned me, left me to the void. I would not return to the void! I would find her, and demand she explain herself to me, why she would abandon me without a thought as to what I wanted. And she would tell me why.

As the thought filled me and I grew convinced of it, strength and feeling returned to my limbs. Not the warm, mysterious feeling that I had originally been given; instead I was filled with a burning emotion that not only allowed me, but forced me to move, and it was not mysterious. It was a desire, a drive for revenge. I will get revenge on you, and you will tell me why.

~~~

The Banette grinned as it finished burning the message into the side of the building. It had been the gatehouse, through which everyone passed as they journeyed up Mt. Pyre. It was a suitable place to let its message be known; to let the world know what it wanted. Life begins at the Cave of Origin and ends at Mt Pyre, or so it is said; but death is not always the end. Sometimes, there are forces that refuse to be contained.

Once it finished its task, it stepped back to survey what had been written. Reading over its message, it began to chuckle, and then laugh, bending over and clutching its chest. It straightened and stepped forward again, burning the last word repeatedly into the building. As it let the fire play over its hands, it started mumbling under its breath, the laugh in its eyes being displaced by a burning rage. Its voice rose until it was screaming, the fire in its hands growing hotter and hotter. Through it all, the rain came down, heedless of the maniacal creature below, yelling its rage to the deaf sky in a single word.

“Why?”

Last edited:
Round 4, Entry 1: Orange

I sit here on this bench outside of the maze of trees people call Viridian Forest, on the Pewter City side, holding a small bunch of multi-colored Peonies, waiting for my friend. She’s late, but that isn’t unusual, it’s just who she is. I remember how we first met; it has been more than five years now. When I saved her from an enraged Dratini in Viridian Forest, she was just an eight year old girl, but an adorable one. Her long, yellow hair was tied in a pony-tail, but it left her bushy bangs to puff out over her forehead. She wore a long, orange dress and a long-sleeved black shirt underneath that. She had long black pants on too. After saving her, I found out that she didn’t have any Pokémon of her own, and that’s when I helped her catch a wild Rattata that she nicknamed “Ratty”. Little did I know that same girl was going to have such an important role in events yet to come and in my life.

A short time later, I beat Giovonni in an intense and nearly deadly battle for the Earth Badge, but blacked out afterward. When I awoke, the girl I saved from Dratini was caring for me, soon asking me to become the Gym Leader of Viridian City. I declined, but said that I’d be back later to do it, and then went on to win the Pokémon League; I never found out her name.

A few years later, I was trapped by the Elite Four while battling one of their members- Bruno, who had sent me a challenge letter- and encased in ice. My Pikachu and one of my oldest partners, Pika, was my only Pokémon to escape. He got all the way to Professor Oak’s laboratory before collapsing, but he was soon temporarily taken under the care of a young boy who always wore a straw hat, rode a Doduo nick-named Dody and called himself “Amarillo del Bosque Verde”, or “Yellow of the Viridian Forest”.

This eleven year old boy was more than he appeared. He had the ability to read the minds of Pokémon, and even heal them among other things, although using his abilities drained his energy and made him sleep after doing it too much; he also had an intense disliking for hurting Pokémon unless it was absolutely necessary. I met up with him a while after Pika joined him on his search for me. I was freed from the ice by a mysterious man and saved Bill, a Pokémon Collector, and Lt. Surge, a former Gym Leader and ex-admin of Team Rocket, from Bruno and finished my battle with him. I met up with Blue and Green later and helped this boy who I had never vanquish the leader of the Elite Four, Lance, and his attempt to eradicate humanity. Yellow fell unconscious after defeating the villain and I had to carry him off of the island. At the time, I didn’t know that he was really that innocent little girl I had saved in the forest, only in disguise. I didn’t find out who Yellow really was until a few years later when she had to remove her hat in my presence and reveal her true gender a year later to retrieve the Silver and Rainbow feathers that were on it to save the Legendary Pokémon, Celebi.

After all of this was over, there was peace for a year. We still communicated regularly and met up for fishing for the day, or a picnic, and sometimes other friends came along, but that was it. We were both too young for any real interest in each other, but a few days before Yellow’s fourteenth birthday, it became apparent, to me, at least, that I was falling for her. But just as I was discovering these new feelings, the unthinkable happened. A strange new Pokémon named “Deoxys” started attacking me and the other two Poké Dex holders from Pallet town: a girl named Blue and a boy named Green. The next few days were a tangle of tragedies and hardships that are too complicated for me even to remember. But because of the events that happened during these days, I was forced to miss celebrating Yellow’s birthday with her. And then, the day after her birthday, Yellow, Blue, Green, a Pokédex holder from Johto named Silver and I were hit by a strange beam of energy and turned to stone while protecting a fleeing, and now-understood, Deoxys.

Two months passed in an instant for us, and seemingly the second after we were petrified, we were freed from the stone because of the wish a boy made on the legendary wish-granting Pokémon, Jirachi. After quickly defeating the current enemy, a man from Hoenn who had been the leader of yet another team that was bent on ruling the world, all of us Pokédex holders went back to our lives. It has been almost two years since then and it is now March third, Yellow’s sixteenth birthday. I invited her to go on a picnic with me at the base of Mount Moon, and I plan to ask her to officially be my girlfriend.

“Where do you think that she is, Pika?” I asked my little yellow buddy. He too was waiting for Yellow with me, but more importantly, he was waiting for Yellow’s Pikachu, Chuchu. The two Pikachu had fallen in love at first sight, and later produced an Egg that hatched into a new Pokémon that Yellow named “Pichu”; Pichu was with Gold, a Poké Dex holder from Johto who had a special skill for breeding Pokémon.

“Pika Pi, Pika Pikachu Pi.”

“Pika,” I sighed. “You know I don’t have Yellow’s ability, I can’t understand you. Why don’t you act it out?”

Pika just shrugged. Apparently what he had said wasn’t important enough for him to want to play a game of charades with me so that I could understand him. This didn’t really matter since I could guess what he was probably thinking. After six years of traveling and training together, the bond that we shared was strong enough to overcome most communication difficulties.

“You’re probably right, Pika. Knowing Yellow, she’ll have stopped to look at those wild Daffodils she told me that she had seen a couple days ago. Either that or she went way out of her way to save something like a Weedle. If one was in trouble, that’s what I would do.”

Coming to a decision, I stood up and stretched, sitting on a bench for an hour had made me stiff. I motioned for Pika to follow, grabbed the picnic basket at my feet, and then headed into Viridian Forest.

The forest was, as always, a gloomy knot of trees, bushes and vines. The temperature was always much cooler than outside of the forest, and moss was abundant in the everlasting shade, crawling over trees and rocks. Bright bursts of wildflowers sprang up from wherever possible, attracting all kinds of Pokémon. Bug enthusiasts were scattered throughout the area trying to find that one bug Pokémon that appealed to them. With Pika happily walking along by my side, I headed straight for the heart of the forest. If Yellow was in here it was inevitable that she would have been sidetracked there.

After a few minutes walking, I heard the sound of an intense battle going on, and it seemed to be several trainers fighting as a group against one. Normally this would not have bothered me as I would take on as many as four trainers on at a time for practice, but Pika wasn’t relaxed anymore, and the fur at the back of his neck was rising. I learned to trust my Pokémon and their instincts a long time ago, and if Pika or any of my partners thought that there was something wrong, then there probably was.

Pika suddenly took off as a shrill cry of pain emerged from the center of the forest, and I knew why. It was the sound of a Pikachu being hurt beyond the normal pain of training battles. Since Pika was already ahead of me, I tossed the picnic basket and the flowers onto the ground and ran for the last few yards and burst through the line of trees that circled the clearing in the center of Viridian Forest.

The normally peaceful and relaxing place had been torn apart by battle, and the river that flowed through it had been blocked by a fallen tree; the water was tainted pink. Deep furrows in the ground that had shredded most of the wildflowers that splashed within the clearing, but it was hardly visible in the dense smoke that was slowly drifting downwind from me. Four members of Team Rocket had cornered the fallen form of a trainer who I couldn’t quite make out, obviously ready to make the finishing blow after they were done with their taunts and insults. I knew in my heart that the beaten trainer was Yellow. Only she would have been here, and only she and her Pokémon, whose levels soared into the eighties when needed, would have been brave enough to take on four opponents at the same time. And if she had been beaten, then she would be extremely weak from healing her Pokémon.

Disregarding all forms of personal safety, I cried out to Pika, urging him to attack before Yellow was hurt any further.

“Pika! Use Megavolt!”

Pika could only use Megavolt when properly motivated, and motivation like that didn’t come often, but that wasn’t the case this time. Yellow was on the ground, and that meant that Chuchu was injured. Jumping in the air and landing a few yards front of Yellow, Pika sighted and released. This was the second time that I had seen my Pikachu use Megavolt, but the first time had been at a long distance. Pika exploded with electricity, raising the temperature of the area by thirty degrees. The attack instantly vaporized the Rockets, and even managed to knock-out their Rhydon before stopping as quickly as it had started.

I quickly recalled Pika, who had collapsed in a pile of newly-formed ash, and sent out Aero, my Aerodactyl at the same time. As I grabbed Yellow, I noticed that all of her Pokémon were back in their balls and in a pile under her, so I had to waste precious time to attach them to my belt. She had obviously run out of energy to heal them and had been protecting them with her body before she had collapsed, and she would not want them to be left behind. I put Yellow onto Aero’s back before jumping up myself and asking him to take us to Viridian City’s hospital before I checked to see how badly she had been injured.

Her hair was askew, covering up a set of scabbing claw marks that ran down her cheek, a cheek that had been smooth and soft when I had stroked it just the day before when she had fallen asleep in my lap. Her clothing was torn and had holes everywhere, revealing various burns, bruises and bite marks, and one arm was hanging at an unnatural angle. Thankfully, nothing else seemed to be broken, but her pulse was faint and erratic.

“Hold on. Just hold on until we get you in the hospital. Please, just hold on.” I pleaded as tears started rolling down my face. It was a race against time, and I didn’t know if I was going to win this time.

Aero landed in front of the hospital a couple minutes later and crouched to let Yellow and me off. I didn’t waste time re-calling Aero back into his Pokéball as he would wait outside and he was more than a match for anyone who may try to steal him. My heart was racing as I ran inside with my injured friend in my arms. Recognition as a Pokédex holder allowed me to bypass any questions for the moment, but they would come later. I wanted to go back with Yellow as she was carried on a stretcher to the emergency room, but I was denied access with the excuse that I would only be in the way. A nurse politely, but firmly, asked me to wait inside of the building until the doctor who would be in charge of Yellow got the chance to talk to me.

Everyone in Viridian City knew and loved Yellow, so I knew that news of her injuries would spread like wildfire. Her naivety and happy-go-lucky attitude made her easy to like, and her supreme kindness towards Pokémon only helped her become the most popular girl in town. Almost every boy in Viridian had asked her out for the past two years, but she turned every one of them down. I hope that this indicated that she liked me as much as I like her, but I can only wish for this.

I put Yellow’s Pokémon into the hospitals restoration machine and let it do its work, and then I sat down on a couch. Anxiety gnawed a hole in my stomach as I waited for an hour. Two hours. Three. Until finally a tall doctor stepped out of the swinging double-doors that lead to the operation room and headed towards me. Nervously, I stood. The look on the doctor’s face was grim. That could mean anything! I tried to convince myself. There was a moment of silence when he reached me, and then he spoke.

“Red of Pallet Town, I’ve heard of you, I’ve seen you with Yellow a lot too.” he said, his voice deep and confident. Then he continued, almost apologetically. “Because of how you brought her in, I’m going to have to ask you how this happened”

But I couldn’t wait to answer any questions.

“Is she alright?” I blurted out, almost afraid to know the answer.

“She’ll be fine, she just needs some rest.” he said, the ghost of a smile playing across his face. “She’s pretty banged up, and her right arm was broken, but it’s a clean break and it should heal quickly. Luckily, there shouldn’t be any scarring, but there will be faint marks where some of the bigger injuries were for a while. She’s awake now,” I started to ask a question, but he held up a hand to cut me off. “She’s awake, but you can’t see her until you answer my questions. When a patient asks what happened to her Pokémon and how she got into the hospital, we like to be able to enlighten them.”

Somewhat abashed, I quickly told my side of the story, eager to see Yellow.

“Well either you’re a very good liar, or you’re telling the truth. This doesn’t seem like it was an accident, but I doubt that a Pokédex holder and the Pokémon League Champion would do this, and then bring her here. I guess you can go back now. She’s in room 303.”

I was gone as soon as the room number left his mouth. I had been in this hospital before, I knew where the rooms where, and Yellow’s room was on the third floor. Dodging cart-pushing nurses on the way and racing up the stairs, I soon skidded to a halt on the white linoleum in front of room 303. Taking a deep breath, I hesitantly knocked on the door.

“Just a minute!” A slightly panicked voice called. I smiled, Yellow was sure to be doing something that the doctors hadn’t told her not to do, but wouldn’t want her to do if they knew about it. I waited at the door until she called again, saying that I could come in. Turning the doorknob, I braced myself for the squeal of delight that I knew would come.

I wasn’t disappointed when I walked into the room; the squeal was the shrill mix of excitement and happiness that I had heard many times before. The room itself wasn’t too attractive, with a Weedle and a Caterpie Pokédoll being the only furnishing aside from the medical equipment, the bed that Yellow lay in, and a single chair that was right next to the bed. The floor was the same linoleum that was in the hallways, but the walls were painted a soft gold. An open double window provided a view of the lush, green tree-tops of Viridian Forest.

“Red! What are you doing here? Well I know what you’re doing here, but how did you get here so quickly? I mean, how did you find out? I guess someone told you. Have you been waiting for a long time? Don’t worry, I don’t feel as bad as I look.”

I smiled as I sat down in the chair. Yellow was as cheerful and talkative as ever, despite her multiple injuries. Before she asked anymore questions, I explained what had happened. My heart sped up when I saw Yellow’s eyes glow with affection when I described how I carried her here.

“So you brought me here, kind of like how you carried me after I fainted from battling Lance, my right arm was broken then too.”

“Yes, kind of like that.” I murmured, realizing that there was something not quite right about the room. “And as I remember, your arm had a cast made out of Caterpie silk, like that one you have on now. That isn’t something the doctors normally use as cast material. And I can’t remember any of the rooms ever having Pokédolls before. What, did you use the Weedle’s spike to remove the cast that they gave you and have the Caterpie give you a new one?”

“You caught me!” Yellow exclaimed, her eyes alight with mischief. “It’s ok; you two can stop pretending now.”

The last part had been directed at the “Pokédolls”, who were still lying innocently on the floor. The Caterpie and the Weedle suddenly came to life, crawling up to the windowsill from the floor where they had been lying. The turned and gave a small cry of farewell, and then they left. Yellow gazed after them for a moment, a tear forming in her eye.

“They came as soon as the nurse left. Last week I saved them both from a flock of Pidgey, and they now have thanked me in their own way. Just like how I’m going to thank you in my own way, Red. Come over here and close your eyes.”

I had a pretty good idea of what Yellow was going to do, so I got up and leaned towards her, turning my head so that my cheek faced her as I went. Surprise is not a strong enough word to describe what happened next. Using her un-broken arm, the injured trainer turned my head to face her, and then she kissed me on my lips. It only lasted a few seconds, but it left my entire body tingling and I knew that I would feel that soft touch for the rest of my life. I didn’t have to ask her the question that I was going to earlier; she had just shown how she felt about me. Pulling her into a gentle embrace, I whispered three words to her.

“Happy birthday, Yellow.”

Round 4, Entry 2: Memories

I waved goodbye to the trainers as they walked away, the picture already fading from their memories. I double-checked my photos; I had never seen them before. I doubt I will run into them again, but I might, if they travel enough. I hope so, if only to see how they have changed.

The first trainer had a Sanshrew and an Oddish. The Sandshrew clearly had not liked being in the picture. It squinted at the sun, standing slightly behind the trainer to get in his shadow. Still, it did not bother its trainer to be put back in the ball. Instead, it did its best to please him; the poor boy hadn’t noticed his Sandshrew’s displeasure. He would have to get to know his pokémon more if he wanted to make it much farther. The Oddish had fared much better, clearly enjoying the sunlight from its position on the boy’s shoulder. Its leaves could have been a little more lustrous; a few hours in the soil would be needed for it to be looking and performing at its best.

The Skitty had paid no attention whatsoever to me. It meandered around its trainer constantly until it was picked up, at first mewling to be let down but eventually accepting the inevitable and nestling into its trainer’s shoulder. The Swablu acted much more dignified, eyeing the Skitty with disdain as it positioned itself by the trainer’s side. If they ever had to rely on each other, they were bound to be disappointed. Once they were settled, though, the picture went well.

The trainers opted not to have a picture together; they likely had not been together very long. The way they spoke and their comfort with each other indicated some time together, but not enough to think of themselves as a group instead of single trainers. First one waited to the side as the other had their picture taken, and then they swapped places. Not much was said by either me or them, just simple thanks for the picture and the opportunity to take it, and then we parted.

The light sound of a bell ringing along with the announcement that the Bug Catching Contest was just a few minutes away from being done reminded me of what I was here for. There were no trainers left outside the gatehouse, so I walked inside and waited for the contest to finish. The gatehouse had a few folding plastic chairs placed throughout, for the few fans that came to see the results and the trainers whom had nearly exhausted themselves searching for a good bug. There were already a few people inside, all grouped into pairs and chatting to each other, some subdued, as if they had been frozen in place, and some gesturing animatedly, clearly excited. Those were mostly the veteran bug catchers, whom had already prepared their catches to be judged, though there were a few older trainers who came to see how the newer trainers were doing.

I found a chair out of the way, and sat down, my attention quickly falling on a pair nearby. They were not as loud or animated as the others around them, but their tone was excited, from what I could hear. The two of them, a boy and a girl, were whispering conspiratorially, neither completely facing the other nor turning away, but looking the same direction with their heads leaning towards each other. They were obviously trying not to attract attention, but their excitement betrayed them in every nervous gesture and loud whisper. From the sideways glances they gave everyone else in the room, measuring in their minds, I could assume the competition was the focus of their enthusiasm. Likely, one or both of them had caught something that they thought was deserving of a high placing.

A final, loud pealing of the bell announced the end of the contest. I rose and followed the pair out of the gatehouse, going to the side as they approached the judging area. I didn’t need to see that; I had been here dozens of times, and the judges never allowed photos. They claimed it made the freshly caught pokémon nervous and skewed the judging. Instead, I made my way to my familiar position behind and to the side of the winner’s platform. Other cameras would catch the winner ascending the steps, and proudly accepting the prize along with their winning specimen. I was interested in seeing the winner’s name being called, that moment of raw shock and euphoria when someone realizes that they have triumphed over all the others surrounding them. After that, professionalism sets in, and no matter the excitement, the winner is smooth and calm, graciously accepting their trophy with a polite smile.

A soft clatter of feet announced that the judging had finished, and the trainers made their way to the temporary stage, awaiting the announcement of the winner. After a quick scan of the crowd, I found the pair I had eavesdropped on earlier, still together. The excitement and confidence they had displayed earlier was gone, replaced by doubt and worry in the moment of truth, when their fate was at last out of their hands. The mass of people quieted as the head judge climbed onto the platform, silently making his way to the podium in practiced motions. This was not his first contest, and it would not be his last. In fact, there was nothing special about this one; no outstanding captures, nothing shamefully bad. I could tell from the way he walked, slow and patient, without excitement or attention to the decision that held so many motionless. He quickly gave a small speech about the competition, causing a few of the first-time trainers to pay rapt attention while the experienced catchers sat back and waited, light whispers snaking through the crowd. The pair was part of the former, giving the judge their utmost attention. He stopped, and the entire crowd became silent again. I focused my camera on the pair, betting that their hopes would be the ones met, and waited for the announcement. Third place came and went, a young child taking the small trophy. Second place was announced as well, to a smattering of applause, but the crowd quieted before she even left the stage, anticipating the awarding of first place. The pair was still hopeful, leaning forward with hands clasped. The speaker began the announcement, holding back the name as he had every time before. After a moment of hushed silence, he read the winner, and a bug catcher in the last row stood up yelling. I set my camera down, allowing it to shut off as the pair’s faces fell. I had guessed incorrectly, and would have to wait for the next competition to capture that unbridled excitement again. The winner accepted his trophy proudly, a small thing probably not worth the park balls used in trying to get it, but still coveted by so many people.

The crowd filtered out soon enough, some friends coming forward to congratulate the winner, but most others simply leaving. After a moment, I followed the pair out. The girl had her hand over the boy’s shoulder as he looked down; he had been the one they thought would win, then.

I made my way up to the pair, picking my way through the mass of bodies, and offered to take their picture. The girl, immediately sensing a way to distract the boy, enthusiastically accepted, and the boy reluctantly agreed. We found a nice, secluded corner of the park, and the pair released their pokémon. They gathered together, and I took their picture.

The girl sent out a Meganium and a Magneton; her Marill was already beside her. The Meganium immediately stepped to her right side, proudly standing there as if to proclaim that it was her most dependable. The Marill was bouncing on its tail to her left, clearly excited, though the source eluded me. Her Magneton floated above the Marill soundlessly, all three eyes focused on the camera lens.

The boy sent out a Sudowoodo, a Noctowl, and a Pinsir, as the Quilava that had trailed him bounded to his side. The Quilava stood on its hind legs, nuzzling the boy’s hand affectionately with its snout. The Sudowoodo posed in the background, doing its best imitation of a tree except for the broad smile on its face. The Noctowl flew up before deciding that the boy’s shoulder may not be the best place to perch, and flew back down to the boy’s side, resting in between the two trainers and pretending it had been there the whole time. The Pinsir stepped back, more than a little surprised at his surroundings, but at a gesture from the boy, stepped forward with the Noctowl.

I took their picture then, forever preserving that one moment in time. That was over ten years ago, and I can still remember it clearly without even glancing at the picture. Most people see the pictures, and they talk about what they see, how that trainer is standing, how pretty that pokémon is. That is not why I take these pictures. I take these pictures to remember what is not seen, what is most important. I take these pictures, and I see emotions and reasons. I see apathy, pride, friendship, distrust, and loyalty. I see history and futures, all in the present. I take these pictures, not so that I can look back on them myself, but so that these never die; so that years from now, when a retired trainer looks back on their days travelling, they can see what they learned to value the most from these trips, and I will help them to see that in any way I can.

There when you least expect me, I am Cameron the photographer.

Round 4, Entry 3: What Kind of Pokemon Are You?

"I’d be a tyrannitar! How about you?"

The kid thrust a Pokemon card under my nose, causing me to lurch backward, not because I was startled, but because as a Poke-Mom, my eyesight wouldn’t allow me to focus that closely.

"Hmmmm. If I were a Pokemon which one would I be?"

I looked at Andy, the little freckle-face boy standing in front of me. His broad grin revealed that he lacked a few teeth and that a few new ones were coming in. I inwardly smiled, thinking he’d made a cute pumpkin model at Halloween. But here he was, very proud of the T-tar he’d just pulled during that pre-release tournament.

"A Pokemon. Let me think. . . . "

```````````````````````

The forest was dim and cool. I scanned the leaf-littered floor for any sign of movement that might be known as ‘lunch.’ A tiny flick of a leaf amongst the white peonies and I made my move, diving upon the unsuspecting bug, hit it with my tackle attack, ceremoniously smashed it against the ground then gobbled it down. Delicious. I flew back to my perch in the oak, quite proud of my hunting skills. I fluffed my feathers, preened my left wing, then my right wing, and settled down to enjoy the scenery underneath me-- the Pokemon and the people that are so grounded below. I love eavesdropping on them. I know I’m among the elite. I come from a proud flock, for I am a Piggeotto.

"Why not be a Pidgeot?" my little junior friend asked, interrupting my revelry.

"I’ll get to be a Pidgeot some day, but I’m not ready for that," I grinned. Yes, I need more growing, more adventures, more training. More time.

My forest has been my home since I was a Pidgey in the nest. I grew and learned from others, how to fly, catch food, perfecting the moves that a young Pidgey needs to know, and learning to avoid the Pokemon trainers that scout the woods. Oh yeah, they could be tricky but I was more clever than they. As a Pidgey I had used my camouflaged plumage to my advantage. Sudowoodos were great resting spots, their branches wide, and their leaves good cover. Best of all, tagging onto a Sudowoodo means a built –in sentry and in turn they liked the fact that a small Pidgey could tickle its bark and rid it of bugs. Lunch. I’d made friends with many forest Pokemon; and over time, I evolved. It wasn’t a spectacular transformation. I didn’t do anything special, but one day, after I was quite confident in my skills and abilities as a Pidgey, my outer wing feathers began to fall out. That is not anything new as all birds molt, but their replacements were different than before. At first I attributed the change to those new salac berries I had eaten. The pep and vigor they had given me made me think they were chocked full of vitamins. These new feathers were the same in color,but with a different feel than I was used to. Then it dawned on me. I was evolving. I was growing up. I was now a Pidgeotto.

"So, when are you going to be a Pidgeot?" my new friend asked, again interrupting my tale. "Good question," I reply.

It is late afternoon as I ponder that question. I suppose it's an inevitable time in one's life, if one is lucky enough to live long enough, to ponder when and where a change in one's life path is needed. Have I squandered my time as a Pidgeotto? Should I push myself to evolve? But I must leave my forest home in order to grow, to learn, to experience new things; to evolve. My home is safe. It is what I know. For now, I go on flight around the forest. I go through my moves. My strong wings take me above the trees into the bright blue sky. Accelerating, then diving into whirlwind, then zipping around as an ariel ace. I find several fellow Pidgeottos and a few Pidgeys out on this fine day. I drink in the sunlight and the fresh air. Then I tuck in my wings and land just inches above the open meadow in front of an Ekans in a Wing Attack. He slithers off. Hah! Maybe I am ready for stage 2. I feel ready to train harder to evolve into a Pidgeot.

"Does that mean you're going to play at Worlds some day?" my little friend asks, wide-eyed at the thought.

"Sure," I say. "Why not?!"

Round 5, entry 1: Fusion, author: Pikamaster

Snow was softly falling, adding to the perpetual blanket of white that covered the black rock of the mountain top. The grey light of pre-dawn gently illuminated the scene, revealing the small entrance to a cave. Most Pokémon had learned long ago that this cave was to be avoided at all costs, and those that had not learned about it and its resident only made the mistake of disturbing it once. A single Mamoswine made its way across the snowy plain, pausing only briefly to look at the cave. A lone figure suddenly appeared, slowly making its way out of the cavern. Mamoswine knew better than to linger when this Pokémon woke, so it ran. It left deep holes in the otherwise smooth blanket that coated the ground.

Ninetales coolly watched the retreating figure until it disappeared into the half-light of morning. Today was a special day, but it was not one for solitude. Telepathically searching for a Pokémon, any Pokémon, who could keep it company, Ninetales found none for miles. The fox Pokémon sighed. Were the other Pokémon really that scared of it? It had only been territorial for the first hundred years. But memories ran deep, and stories were passed to the young for generations.

As the disappointed Pokémon stalked back into its cave, it thought about what it was. It was neither male nor female, but it was both. It had multiple powers of great strength, but for all those powers it could not make one friend in the five-hundred years since it had been reborn into this shape, and not even its own offspring had lingered.

Its life was now half over, and its story had been forgotten. The nine different consciousnesses that it was tore at Ninetales as the one they had become from the inside, screaming for their story to be spread throughout the world; the story of the-nine-who-had-become-one. Again, Ninetales sighed. It had reached the main chamber of its home. The four-foot ceiling had prevented most Pokémon from taking up residence before Ninetales had settled there, and the suffocating darkness was never pierced by the sun, the winding passage from the entrance made sure of that. A small spring of pure, icy water, fed from deep beneath the rock, bubbled up in a pool before it flowed under the wall and out of sight, making the cave a perfect environment for a recluse such as its currant occupant. The walls were, like the most of the mountain, a gray-black rock.

Creating a will-o-wisp, Ninetales walked over to the wall next to its bed of dried grass. Raising the light to the ceiling, the enigmatic Pokémon stared at the now-illuminated wall. There was human writing there, carved by a thin, steady stream of intense fire. It was Ninetales’s story. Ninetales had once told its story to a Dragonite, who had been intent on becoming a bard, not long after the fox had been reborn. The writing on the wall was how the story had been told back to Ninetales.

It was the beginning of the end of the world. Thunderstorms would blot out the sun for days at a time with their ominous, black clouds, sending crackling lightning down to raze the earth. Hail would also pelt any creature unfortunate enough to get caught without cover, even though it was only early autumn. Eight of the nine remaining wizards in the world had gathered in the tall, octagonal white-quartz tower that their ancestors had met in and shared their knowledge of the arcane, yet diminishing, art for centuries. The people of the small village nearby always knew when the wizards had gathered, for a strange aura would envelope the tower, an aura that radiated pure power. The wizards had not convened in years. An argument between families had flared up and the wizards involved had to be restrained before too much damage was done, but with the world’s immanent doom and the fact that a Legendary Pokémon had asked for help, the feuding wizards would have to act like a fight had never happened, at least until the crisis had been abated.

Eight of the nine wizards, Delfang, Romanus, Daglin, Delza, Mallef, Inumé, Gelaf Yom Nar and Resitar had arrived, and seven of those eight were waiting patiently for the arrival of the ninth. But the last one, the first to arrive, was letting her annoyance be heard. Gelam Yom Nar had little to no patience, and she would gladly hurt those who were unfortunate enough to get on the wrong side of her famous temper. Her beauty was marred by a long, red scar that ran down her cheek, but she usually covered it with her raven locks; her eyes were almost the exact same color as her hair and almost always glinted with malice. Her talent for Curses had made her a perfect scapegoat in many villages whenever something went wrong, and one too many chases had soured her temper. Even magic could be subdued by numbers.

“Where in Arceus’s name is he?” she shouted. “Rimlen has the gift of Prophecy, why is he always late?”

The other wizards flinched; it was not wise to invoke that name lightly, even if the stories of terrible punishment being dealt by the deity were just for children.

“Gelam, you should know better than to use that name.” Daglin, one of the other seven, scolded. Her golden curls cascaded around her shoulders, framing her exceptionally average face. Her eyes, like shards of blue ice, were the only other feature on her that were memorable.

“That Pokémon is just a fairytale; it could never ‘smite me from the earth with the power of all elements’ since it has no existence outside the realm of stories!”

Then Mallef spoke. He was the oldest wizard alive, well past one-hundred years old. That was the special gift that his wizardry gave him: longevity. His hair was white as a bone, and his pasty skin was the same color. Age had sunk his sky-blue eyes into their sockets, but they were still as sharp as his barbed tongue.

“But if you disbelieve the existence of such a Pokémon, why do you invoke its name? Surely you could say ‘Where in Bidoof’s name is he’ to the same effect. After all, right now you are using the name of a ‘mythical’ Pokémon, surely if you had no belief in it you wouldn’t use its name, would you?”

That made Galem pause and think about the truth of Mallef’s statement. Did she, somewhere deep down, believe that something she had told herself could never exist after everything she had been through? Mallef just sat in his corner with a smug look on his face, obviously amused at his companion’s confusion. Rimlen took that moment to arrive, throwing the tall oak doors open to the howling winds and savage rains of the raging storm outside. The eight gathered wizards jumped; the sounds of the storm had failed to penetrate the thick stone walls of the tower and it was easy to forget about what was happening outside in the cool confines of the building.

Inumé took that as her cue to speak up. She and Rimlen had known each other for years, more closely than Rimlen liked to admit. None of the other wizards maintained much contact with each other unless it was a time of crisis, so why should he. But Inumé, perhaps with the help of her special talent for Hypnotism, was determined to use all of her physical beauty and mind games to keep a steady relationship with her unhappy target going. Her waist length blonde hair flowed over her shoulders, and she had certain elegance in the way she walked. The very air around her seemed to glow with a mesmerizing light, reflecting on her special skill.

“Rimlen, why have you kept us waiting? Why are you always late? You should be able to foresee your lateness with your gift of Prophecy and arrive to your appointments earlier.” she said, a teasing tone in her seductive voice and a mischievous light in her eyes.

Rimlen lowered the deep hood that was on all wizards’ cloaks, a cloak that every wizard donned when their apprenticeship was over. The cloak would be the only item of clothing that they wore for the rest of their lives. Weaved out of Ariados silk, it was particularly receptive to spells that were used on it and would carry them for far longer than any spell would normally last, usually until the wizard that cast it died.

“A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.*” Rimlen said, his voice layered with annoyance. He knew that Inumé teased him because he would re-act to it, but he could never stop himself from rising to the bait. He was the second oldest wizard alive, but that had never stopped Inumé from having an interest in him, much to his regret. His hair was slowly turning to gray from its normal black, and he had a few more wrinkles than he cared to admit, but age was his only, though not effective, shield against Inumé’s advances, which were steadily growing all too common.

Before the two wizards could begin arguing, Resitar, the wizard who had summoned them all, interrupted them. He hated arguments, partly due to the fact that he lost them most of the time. His disheveled appearance was a perfect match with his personality, and he was often un-organized and let his mind wander. If it had not been for his family’s legacy of calming ancient and seemingly untamable Pokémon, he would never have been treated with the respect that he commanded.

“Please, let’s not waste time. You all know why we all came to this forsaken place; you all know that catastrophic destruction is upon us. Lugia, the legendary guardian of the islands of Ice, Lightning, and Fire, has contacted me with a cry for help. The Legendary Birds, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres, have begun to fight and he cannot stop them, nor will the other Legendary Pokémon help.”

The other wizards gathered around their unlikely leader with awe. Legendary Pokémon did not usually speak to humans, even those like Daglin with her special gift of Communication with Pokémon, or Resitar with his gift of Telepathy. But one had chosen Resitar and nobody could ignore this, so they all listened with rapt attention to the speaker.

“Lugia asked me to devise a way to calm the trio and keep them calm. This solution also has to have the ability to be called upon again if, Arceus forbid, they begin to fight again at a later date. It also has to have several fail-safes to keep their power from being used unless it is truly needed. I have an idea that may work, but I need the rest of you to check it for any flaws as it will require great sacrifice. I also lack the skills and power to create the devices, so I will need all of you to lend your power to aid the creation of these devices. But first, let us go to a drier room, I have one ready for the work that may be done.”

And so, Resitar, despite the pleas of his companions, did not say another word. He led them up the winding stone staircase to a room high above the ground floor, but still low enough that it was hardly, if ever, used for want of a window to let the natural light into its vast area. The lack of windows made the room as dark as the thunderclouds that were loosing their fury on the earth just outside, reminding the spell-casters that not everyone liked the use of magic. And the double-door was nowhere near wide enough to provide proper airflow, so the room was stuffy, but again the thick stone walls kept it cool. Delza, the youngest of the four female wizards lit the candles that were mounted in iron brackets on the wall by simply waving her hand. The other wizards would have had to have used words to form the magic to do that, but Delza’s gift of Power over Fire allowed her to do a task like that with little to no effort.

The nine gathered around a table that had been carved out of the stone floor by the builders of the tower. Nobody knew how it had been so masterfully carved with magic as stone was extremely resilient to most spells, making it the perfect substance for keeping magic out, or in. A spell would rarely penetrate a barrier of stone, which is why ancient castles were mostly constructed of one sort of stone or another, to keep enemy wizards from destroying it with a sweep of their hand, so to speak.

“Delza and Daglin have already heard my plan and approve of it, but only because their gifts will play an important part in the execution of my plan. However, I still require input from each and every one of you before we attempt it.”

Daglin acknowledged Resitar’s words with a nod, but Delza did not until she saw Daglin doing it. Blushing slightly, she bowed her head. She was the youngest there and had much to learn, but she learned quickly and was relatively happy and easy going while doing most things. Her looks mirrored her personality, as was common with wizards. Her light-pink skin suggested that she often stayed indoors, but her cheerful smile was almost always on her face, making her dark-blue eyes light up with happiness. Her brown hair was casually brushed back, leaving only two thin braids to hang on both sides of her face.

Romanus, one of the only two who had yet to speak, thumped his fist onto the table. Like Gelaf, his temper was short, but his words were as smooth as Inumé’s. He was the only wizard who put himself out for hire, doing any deed as long as enough gold was passed into his hands. His gift Telekinesis made him hard to combat as he could send boulders at attackers with just a thought, or even teleport them away, although it was not safe to do this on anything living. His hair and beard had been whitened prematurely by days of traveling in the sun, but a patch of hair just below his mouth retained its true color, the color that most though his heart was: pitch black.

“Resitar, why do you waste our time with words?” he growled, not unlike a large Ursaring. “And the rest of you, will you sit here and follow him when he hesitates to share his own work with anyone who he is not ‘required to’? Use your Telepathy and convey your plans to us or I will have no part of this!”

“And where will you go? What will you do?” Mallef coolly asked before Resitar could reply. “If you fail to do your share, the world will end. It might very well end anyway, but I for one would like to know that I at least tried to stop it and didn’t throw tantrums like a babe.”

Romanus seethed with rage at his words, but bit his tongue as the truth of them sunk in.

“Very well, I will help. But stop being so vague and tell us what you mean, confound it!”

Resitar decided that he could not stall any longer. If his idea was sound, they would act upon it. If it was not, then there was still a small amount of time left to them to devise a new way to stop the warring trio. Concentration briefly consumed his face as he sent the exact details of his plan directly to the minds of his companions, and then he waited. But he did not wait long, for Galef Yom Nar spoke out almost immediately.

“Why are you and every member of your family so obsessed with spheres?” she demanded. “For calming Kyogre and Groudon, what were the shapes of the objects that your ancestor made to control them? Two blasted spheres! What shape are the objects that your own father made to capture and tame Pokémon with? Spheres! Can you not do cubes, or even octagons, for once?”

“We can assume, then, that since your first objection to Resitar’s plan was about the shape of the objects that we will create that you believe the plan itself to be sound?”

Again, eight of the nine gathered wizards jumped in surprise; Dalfang had finally spoken. The master of Illusions rarely spoke, preferring to use his art to avoid detection so that he could pursue his own quests unhindered by requests for help. Not to say that he was selfish. No, he enjoyed using his Illusions to create colorful patterns in the sky to bring delight to children, but beyond that, he was a quiet man who always kept his face hidden deep into his hood. Not even his fellow wizards knew his face.

“Um, well, yes, it does. He still needs three Pokémon willing to give up their souls, but I see no reason why it should not work.”

“I already have three Pokémon willing to do this, one each of Fire, Ice, and Lightning. They wait together near the ocean on the side of the tower opposite the door. Daglin, would you go down and fetch them for us? And Romanus, your Telekinesis will be needed to carry one that cannot leave the water up into this room.”

With a mocking bow, Romanus left to do what was bid of him, and Daglin closely followed. As soon as the former had started his descent to the waiting Pokémon, Delza raised a quivering hand.

“Come, Delza, you are of equal rank, even if you are the youngest among us.” Resitar gently chastised. “If there is something troubling you, speak out.”

“It’s only that I do not completely understand what we are going to do.” she said timidly, although slightly encouraged by Resitar’s words. “I know that you told us already, but could you tell me again, but using words this time and not your Telepathy?”

Resitar frowned slightly, wondering how words would make any difference. However, he did as Delza asked and began his explanation.

“One at a time, we will kill the Pokémon who have volunteered for this task. They know what will happen to them, but they are willing to do it to save the world, something that many humans would not do. We will do this in the most painless way possible, so any pain will be brief. Once we have done this, the purest, most powerful energy will be ready for capture, an innocent, willing soul, although only for the space of five seconds, so we must do it quickly. The spelled glass spheres are ready, color coded to the type of Pokémon that the soul that enters it will come from; red is Fire, blue is Ice, and yellow is Lightning. We must all use the full extent of our powers to put the souls in the spheres for there will be no second chances.”

Resitar paused to telepathically monitor the wizards below them, checking to see if they had even brought the Pokémon into the building. They had not. Sighing, the telepath brought the orbs out from a fold deep within his cloak and laid them onto the table, and then he resumed his explanation.

“The devices have been spelled to be near indestructible and have several safeguards. They will only release the power that they will contain once the safeguards have been de-activated.”

“Yes, I liked your safeguards, it was wise of you to do so, although it may come back to haunt some poor soul in the future who is trying to avert the same thing that we are.” Rimlen interjected, nodding his head. “The part where they all have to be together to work was wise. Although the one that dictates that only one who has the blood of the island’s chief flowing through one’s veins was not so. Anyone should be able to bring the spheres together, not just one and his descendants. What if the line ends? Not that it will, for I have foreseen that, but you still should not have done that. But now it is too late, so it does not matter. Please, continue.”

“As I was saying,” Resitar began again, glaring at Rimlen. “The safeguards have to be de-activated for anything to happen. You have just heard two of them from Rimlen, and the third is only that Lugia has to sing its song, and then the power will be released. The spheres will also recharge over time, so they will be available for future use. Also, when dormant, their power will soak into the land, so they will keep the birds peaceful unless they are provoked, provided that the spheres are on the island that they pertain to.”

“Thank you for explaining, Resitar, I will do my best to help, even though my best may be inadequate.” Delza said, bowing slightly. They sat in companionable silence for another couple minutes, and then the doors opened and the Pokémon arrived.

First came an Arcanine, proudly entering with its head held high. Each step it took made its glossy coat shimmer, and each human felt the urge to bow before it. Next came a Jolteon, racing around the room with unmatched speed, becoming a yellow blur to the naked eye. And last, floating a few inches above the floor with the aid of Romanus’s Telekinesis, was a Lapras. Its body moved gracefully through the air as if it was in total control of its movements. Its large eyes settled on each wizard before it directed its gaze forward again. Even the most hardened of hearts could not think of hurting this peaceful creature, but it had to be done, else it would die a more violent way with the rest of the world.

“Daglin, even with my Telepathy I cannot communicate more than basic emotions to them unless they speak our language like Lugia does. Can you translate my thanks to them for their courage to do this, and then ask them to stand in front of the table when I signal to them? Romanus, could you please put Lapras down in the hollow in front of the table?”

Both Daglin and Romanus did their tasks as Resitar conjured up three wooden basins and placed two of them to the side of the table; the third he placed directly before the patiently waiting Lapras. He then bid his companions to gather around the blue Pokémon, pulling a sharpened white-stone knife out from his cloak and taking the blue sphere from the table as they did so. Wordlessly, he made cut his own palm and dripped his own blood onto the blade, and then passed the knife to the next wizard, who did the same. Around the circle the bloodied tool was passed until each of the nine had contributed blood to it, making the most binding of oaths that of swearing all their power to another and death take the one who breaks it.

Mallef was the final wizard to smear the blade with his blood, and he did so without even flinching. However, when he attempted to pass the knife back to Resitar, he was surprised when the temporary leader refused, a grim smile slashed across his face.

“Mallef, you should be the one to lead us in the use of our power, I have not enough faith in myself to do so. Your knowledge is vastly superior to mine, and so is your experience. Please, I beg of you, do this unpleasant task.”

Mallef nodded his consent as approval flickered across his face. He had thought of the possibility that the younger wizard may concede his inexperience, but there had always been the chance that pride would have blinded Resitar. Taking the proffered knife and sphere from trembling hands, he addressed his companions.

“You all know what we have to do. The very second that I set this knife on its fatal path, we all must brace ourselves, for this will be the most difficult act of magic that you will ever do. Follow my commands exactly, or else you will doom us all.”

The ancient wizard took a few quick steps that brought him to the waiting head of the Lapras. Despite the necessary haste, he stroked it gently, muttering words of encouragement to it. He then turned to the eight cloaked figures, all of them watching and waiting in the flickering candlelight. Mallef had no need to speak the question that his eyes held, and he watched as, one by one, each wizard nodded.

“It is time, then.”

And he plunged the knife down into the waiting Pokémon’s skull. The effect was immediate. The wizard’s minds were swept to a different dimension; that of raw power. They knew this place well, for it was where all major or delicate spell-casting had to take place, for the manipulation of the world’s very fabric could be done only there. Each wizard kept their own shape for the sake of convenience, but there were no words or flesh to get in the way of precision work.

The Lapras’s soul was the shape and twice the size of the Pokémon that it had come from, easily dwarfing the nine figures before it. It was pure white and it radiated light onto the featureless blue plain that extended to infinity. Mallef strode forward, sphere in hand and ablaze with power, although his light next to Lapras’s was like comparing a Charmander’s flame to Ho-oh’s Sacred Fire.

“Friends, let us do this most vile of works now and twice more so that we may bring peace to our world!”

And so it began. With Mallef calling instructions- for words were still needed for communication, even though power could be freely controlled- the wizards moved quickly to imprison the struggling soul. Ten seconds seemed took an eternity, even though they knew that it was only ten seconds. But when consciousness returned to their bodies, the wizards were triumphant for the first part of their mission. Mallef quickly recovered from the shock of leaving and then returning to his body and placed the now pulsing globe back onto the table, and then he deferred to Resitar once again.

“Romanus, would you use your Telekinesis for me again? I need you to transport this sphere to Lugia, I included the coordinates in the plan that I sent you. Will you need us to give you power?” Resitar said

“Yes, I shall teleport it for you. And yes, I would appreciate any help that you can give, thank you.” was the reply. Romanus had finally come to accept his fellow wizards as equals after seeing a demonstration of there power, which was just as great as his own, if not stronger.

Resitar gathered the seven other wizards together around Romanus and, with only a slight drain of power from all of them, the sphere was teleported to the waiting Legendary Pokémon. They all knew that the teleportation would only get harder after the capture of the second and the third souls, but nobody voiced this terrible thought. Instead, they readied themselves for the unpleasant task of killing and imprisoning another soul.

Again the Pokémon stepped forward to the waiting basin, this time it was the Jolteon. Without looking at the corpse beside him, Mallef took the knife again and slew the waiting Pokémon. The process was the same as the first time, though slightly harder as each wizard had less power to work with. But they were successful and the pulsing yellow orb was teleported to Lugia.

And now, with a majestic toss of its head, the Arcanine slowly stepped forward, ready to meet the same fate as its companions. None of the humans attempted to speed the Pokémon’s slow walk; they would not begrudge it for wanting to spend a few more moments in the world of the living. Silently, the watched, heads bowed respectfully until it reached the huge basin that was its destination. The Arcanine then bowed its huge, graceful head and awaited its fate. Of all three Pokémon that Mallef had to sacrifice for the world, this one would be the hardest.

A tear fell down Mallef’s cheek as he raised the knife for the final time, and it fell as the blood-coated instrument dropped. For the third time, the wizard’s minds were brought to the eerie blue world were their art was at its best. Surprisingly, the Arcanine’s soul was the easiest of the three and went with little more than a slight struggle. When the wizards regained consciousness, Mallef held the light-filled sphere in his hand, and there was a sword at his throat. The man holding the sword was tanned to a color similar to a rotting log, clashing perfectly with his long, bright orange hair, but his hair matched the orange jewel that was embedded in his forehead.

“You wizards, you did something to our world, you tearing it apart. You killing Pokémon, you make powerful weapon. I, Nafodgnor, chief of ten tens and eight of human and Pokémon thieves, come from dessert lands across the sea, have came to you weapon. As you see, I have bowmen with arrows aimed at seven of you friend’s hearts. Give you weapon to me and we make death easy for you.” he said with a sneer. Escape was impossible for all the wizards, for they were drained with only enough power to send the sphere to Lugia. Four of Nafodgnor’s men were waiting in the room directly above the confrontation, and, including their leader, eight were aiming weapons at the wizards, leaving the hidden Dalfang unguarded. Fifteen were huddled in the staircase leading upwards, and sixteen were in the one below. The last group, a mix of Twenty-three Pokémon and Forty-two humans, was waiting in the foyer. Escape was impossible.

Mallef caught the thief by surprise and tossed the orb to an expectant Romanus, who caught it and started the teleportation, but the arrows sprang free from their bows and embedded themselves in the wizards; Nafodgnor slew Mallef and Dalfang with two strokes of his sword. Wiping his sword on the wizard’s robe, but not returning it to its scabbard, Nafodgnor strode over to the dying Romanus.

“Now!” shouted Dalfang as he leapt from the shadows and placed his hand on Romanus’s shoulder. Romanus drew on the power that was given to him and teleported the sphere. Just before the sphere was telleported, but immediately after the spell was spoken, Nafodgnor thrust his sword into Romanus. The globe lashed out with an intense burst of pure power, and then was gone, teleported to Lugia.

Not able to contain the power that had been released, the tower disintegrated in a burst of red light, leaving only the base of the tower and the keystone, surrounded and filled with two tons of sand; a jagged crack had appeared that almost split it in half. The inhabitants of the town rushed out to see what had happened, but found only ruin. They cleared the sand away, but did not touch any of the stones. Later, they built another tower, one for the remembrance the dead, and they forever told the story of The Two Towers.

The wizards found themselves back in the dimension of power, although this time they were no longer alive or in human form, the one-hundred eight thieves were with them, and Arceus stood before them all. With a voice that sounded like everything joyful, it spoke.

“Wizards, you have done your task well. The world is no longer in peril, although it has cost you your humanity to do so. I am sending you back to your world with a lifespan on one-thousand years, but in the form of a new Pokémon. Name yourself and nurture your new species as best you can, for all of your souls shall be in one body. As for the fate of your murderers, I shall let you decide.”

And then it vanished, leaving the fox and the cowering souls alone. Without even needing to speak, the wizards cursed the thieves’ souls as punishment, binding them to the keystone of the destroyed tower as a new Pokémon forevermore. And then the world rushed back to them and greeted them with birdsong and sunlight, but they ran to find a place where they could be alone, possibly forever.

* Credit for this quote: Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited:
Round 5, entry 2: Remembrance, author: yellowfire7

I sit in the dust and fog of the world, waiting. This is my world.
It is all I have ever seen, all I ever will see. I’m waiting for
momma to come back. She had to go away to stop the noises. She said
so. She said it was to make me and my sister Kara safe. She has
always kept us safe, and she always will. She promised.

The noises start again; Kara and I cover our ears and hold each other
close. Momma isn’t here anymore. She went to go stop the noises, and
they didn’t stop. Where did you go?

The noises stop. Kara and I move apart, glad that they stopped. They
frightened us, and they had frightened momma too. That’s why we were
scared; anything that made momma scared was bad, but now it’s gone.
Momma fixed it. Kara wants to go see what it was, and she starts to
leave.

Voices. Shouting, humans running and shouting. Kara runs back from
the entrance to our hole, and jumps onto me, holding me tighter than
she did before. She’s shaking, just like the stairs above us that the
humans ran on. Shaking and crying. I try to hold her, to ask her
what’s wrong, but she won’t stop crying and shaking. I don’t know
what’s wrong, but I feel like crying too.

It’s quiet outside. The humans ran up the stairs, and I can’t hear
them anymore. They were bad, momma told us they were. They were the
ones making the noises, and momma told us to stay away from them.

Kara won’t stop crying. I need to find momma, she’ll know how to make
her stop. She’ll hug her, talk to her, take her in her hands and
sing, put her to sleep like she has so many times. But first, I need
to find momma.

I try to pick up the bone momma made for me, but I can barely lift it.
She said that when I grew older, she would teach me how to use it
like she does, to make me strong. She said they were shaped like
bones to remind us of where we came from. From the Tower. The Tower
is where the ghosts and the spirit women come from, and it is where we
come from too. She was also going to give me a helmet like hers and
like Kara has, but she says I haven’t grown into it yet. I’m not
strong enough yet, not like she is.

Kara let me go. She’s curled up, pressed against the back of the
hole, staring at me with her wide brown eyes. She hasn’t stopped
crying yet. I want to go back and hug her, but I need to find momma.
I have to leave.

There are a lot of stones surrounding our home. Momma told me not to
touch them; they are special to people. People come and stand before
the stones, and they cry. Some of those bring flowers. Or they talk,
flinging their arms about angrily, like they are fighting something.
These people normally cry the most. Or they are silent, just looking
at it until they leave. That’s what I do. I don’t know why these
stones are so special. Just that they are.

I smell something, something I’ve never smelled before. It feels
comforting, but… wrong. Comforting and wrong. Something good and
bad. I follow it around the corner of the stones, and I find momma.
I run over to her and talk to here, saying momma, please get up, Kara
needs you. She needs you. But momma doesn’t get up. Something’s
wrong. Her bone is gone. Why is her bone gone? She never lets her –
oh. It’s over there. She dropped it. Maybe if I get it for her,
she’ll take it and get up. I go around her to get it, and then I see
it. Why she’s not moving. I stare at her a moment more, then run
back to our hole under the stairs. I run to Kara and hold her tight,
and bury my head in her chest, trying to block out the image of
momma’s blank, dead stare.

Why did you go momma? Why did you have to go to them? You said you
would be here, protecting us, forever. Did you lie? I can’t answer
any of these questions. I need you, momma. We need you.

We lay like that for I don’t know how long, each crying into the other
and waiting for the other to say that it will be okay. But neither of
us can. Kara falls asleep, exhausted from crying. I don’t. I move
her off me and sit by the entrance, because somebody has to watch over
us. So, I sit at the entrance to our hole, guarding it as best I can,
because that is what momma would have done.

The Tower is quiet. The human’s shouts and stomping feet have faded
away. If I squint, I could almost see momma patrolling through the
stones as she did in the past. She would start there, walk there,
turn, and look at me with the saddest look on her face. I could
almost see through her and – that is not a memory. Momma never did
that. I rub my eyes, and the image is gone. I stare at the tile in
front of the stairs, just a few feet from our hole, and all I can see
is her looking over her shoulder at me with a look on her face that
screams I’m sorry.

Noise. Feet stomping, a squeaking shoe, the hiss of a defeated
Gastly. Somebody, a human, is coming. I stand up, and in my mind, I
see the people in black. I have to protect Kara from them. From the
people that killed momma.

I run back into the cave and start crying. I can’t do this. I’m
still young, not even strong enough to use the bone.

Noises come from outside; fighting. I hear a person yelling, and the
grunt of a pokémon attacking. I have to do something. I pick up my
bone and drag it behind me as I go out, but the sight outside of my
home makes me drop it.

Momma is back! She’s just a few feet from me, and she’s fighting a
trainer’s Poliwhirl. I want to run to her, to tell the Poliwhirl and
his trainer that they don’t need to fight her, that she’s my momma,
but I can only sit there and choke out words. And, with a blast of
water, momma is gone again.

The Poliwhirl turns white and disappears, sucked into the trainer’s
hand. The trainer runs up the stairs and disappears. Just like momma
disappeared. I finally find my voice and wail, sinking down to the
floor. It’s not fair! I already lost momma, but she came back. She
protected us from the humans, and then we lost her again. Over the
sobs, I choke out one question.

“Why did you have to leave, momma?”

I don’t cry long; I have already shed water today, and I don’t have
much left. The Tower is quiet again, as quiet as the stones around me
have always been. Kara and I are alone again. Then, when I’ve
finally calmed down enough to fall asleep, my answer is whispered.

“I never left you.”

~~~~~~

The night is quiet. The town is almost asleep, calmed down from the
terror of the Rocket attack. Mr. Fuji is back in his house, climbing
into his bed, ready to let the fright of the Rocket’s brutality fade
into memory. Two towns over, in Celadon City, a trainer is checking
his bags in the dark of the Center room, preparing to wake the Snorlax
the next day. The channelers have left the tower, convinced that all
the vengeful spirits that inhabited the Tower to harass the Rockets
have departed for the afterlife. And, in the midst of the swirling
fog and the dark, solemn gravestones of the Tower, the Marowak ghost
walks again, with one last duty to fulfill.

One of her cubs lays before her, tear tracks fresh on his face from
the past trauma. The day has been rough, and she almost cannot bear
to wake him, but she knows she cannot remain long.

“Gara. Wake up.”

The Cubone stirs, not fully willing to face the realities of the
night. The Marowak taps her bone on the floor; it passes through, but
produces a low thunk. This wakes the cub, who stares up at the spirit
before him with wide eyes.

“M-momma?” he stammers out, unbelieving. Too much has happened; he
cannot hope that this is true.

The Marowak sighs and kneels down to his level. “Yes. It’s me. I
have some things I need to tell you before I go.”

The cub stands up, now believing. It was false after all. “Go? But
momma, we need you. Kara needs you, I need you. Why do you have to
go?”

“That is the way of this world. I need to move on, but I won’t leave
you. Either of you. I just won’t be there physically with you.”

The cub turns away from her, sniffling. “Why can’t you? You always
were before. You promised you would be.”

For a while, there is no answer.

“Gara. Look at me.”

The cub turns to do so, and draws a breath. Held in the ghost’s hand
is her old helmet, gleaming in the moonlight. She slowly extends it
towards the cub; he accepts it gingerly, turning it over in his hands.

“That was my helmet. It served me for thirty seasons, and my mother
many before that. It was a constant reminder to me that even if she
was not physically there, my mother was present. Now it is your turn.
Place it on your head.”

The cub obliged, slipping it easily over his head. He stares
wide-eyed at the ghost through the mask, speechless at the gift.

“Let this mask always remind you of what I taught you and showed you.
Whenever you feel lonely, touch it and know that I am with you always.
Like the moon,” she said, pointing her club towards the window.
“Like the moon, I will always be there for you when it is darkest.
You just need to remember and look for me.”

The cub does so, walking over to the window and staring up at the moon.

“Thank you momma,” he says, but there is nobody there. He looks about
the room for a moment, scanning all of the corners of the dusty,
shadowed Tower, but there is nobody there. He retreats to the den
under the stairs, and sees his sister, curled up against the back
wall. He sighs and picks up his bone. He will tell her of the mask
and the moon in the morning. Now, he has a new duty he must fulfill.

In the heights of the Tower, in the dead of night, one little Cubone
stands guard, murmuring under his breath, “I am not alone.”

Last edited:
Back