Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Favorite Pokemon Generation? Why?

JokerBoi

Okay me and a friend of mine were arguing about which gen was the best out of all four he claims it is out of 1st and 4th and I believe that the best gen hands down was the 2nd. He argues that the 1st was what got everyone into the series in the first place and had so many legendary trademarks that are still relevant in pokemon games today. The 4th generation brought the game to new heights with its utilization of wifi, and vast amount of different pokemon one could collect. These are formidable arguments but still I do not see how anyone could deny the perfection that was Johto.

The first gen was the icebreaker that got everyone into the concept of pokemon but I feel like one cannot really say it was THE BEST. After one had beaten the Elite Four there really wasn't anything to do anymore. The game became boring. Pokemon Stadium was fun but with only 150 pokemon it got boring quickly.

The second gen, Gold, Silver, and Crystal were so amazing because it was like a 360 degree turn from what the original was. The game felt like it could actually be happening in real life, it introduced days of the week and the aspect of morning, night, and day. The days of the week made it so that the player could only do specific tasks on those days, catch lap, get a message, and enter the bug catching contest. The rival actually seemed like a authentic bad guy stealing his starter and then challenging you at some points where you didn't even get a good chance to heal your pokemon. Specific pokemon could only be caught during the different times of day and in also to evolve certain pokemon the time was an important factor I can still remember getting pissed off at my friend for evolving my eevee into an espeon while I patiently awaited for night to get an umbreon. Team Rocket was reintroduced and they kept the story line fresh and made plenty of references back to Team Rocket in Kanto. The concept of breeding, holding items, and baby pokemon were all introduced in this game. After one had beaten the elite four they could go back to Kanto and fight all the gym leaders and earn a amazing 16 badges and then go on to fight red with a lvl. 81 pikachu which was pretty darn cool. There was also a cheat that allowed you to duplicate your pokemon which was also neat if one knew how to do it correctly. Another important factor was Pokemon Stadium 2 which has to be one of my most favorite games ever the minigames, the stadium challenges, the pokeschool, and so much more one cannot deny that this is the best pokemon game ever made that wasn't on a handheld system.

Turning to the 3rd gen there wasn't too much of a change. No night or day, no new major mechanics (except maybe natures that was pretty big to the game and competitive play), the game didn't WOW me at all. 2 on 2 battling and Pokemon Contests were neat but seriously what did one accomplish by winning those? RSE had to be the worst gen IMO. I cannot even stand to play these games anymore

The fourth gen may be the only one worthy of even competing with Johto. It took competitive battling to a whole new level and introduced so many pokemon and attacks. Again I felt that there was not much of a major transition between it and the 3rd gen there was nothing too knew about it besides wifi battling and the new pokemon one could obtain.

To me everything that makes playing pokemon sooo much fun today can be traced back to GSC, seeing when your pokemon are going to hit that new level, breeding pokemon to get the right one, attaching the right items to your pokemon, using creative pokeballs in order to catch specific species of pokemon... The list goes on. One can imagine that I am overly excited about the remake lol. I want to know what is your personal favorite pokemon generation and please support your answer I want to know WHY.

I would have to say the first. When i started i didn't know what to do and it was fun being lost. I didn't know about the boxes untel my mom showed them to me when she started to play the one that i wasn't pleying at the time about two weeks after i started to play lol and thats memorerys that i can't get from any other poke rpg now that i know what i'm doing in all of them.

First, it is the beginning and without its immense popularity the other generations would not exist. Also the first ones have more personailty, the others are modeled off of the first gen:thumb:

Also i don't get how this doesn't get taken down, I tried to make a topic like this and it was removed immediatly:nonono:

3rd Generation. They are way cooler looking and pretty funny looking at the same time.

2nd Generation. I've always been a sucker for this generation as Gold Version is one of my favorite games of all time. It introduced many new elements to the game, and brought in two new types for the card game.

2nd Generation for me, Pokemon G/S/C. It was the first step forward after the success of the first games and I felt they did it perfectly. It gave the game a new feel but it kept everything that made it good. Stuff like night and day were added, along with breeding. It also allowed us to go back to Kanto.

I can't wait for the remakes.

in terms of games, i would have to say 4th's my fave, the other 3 games are two easy (i mean seriously, the e4 in G/S/C could be beaten w/ a team of pokemon in the low to mid forties). pokemon wise and gen wise, i would have to say R/S/E. saphire was my first game, and i still have that original file (never pressed new game, except a lot of pokemon are migrated)

If we're talking games, D/P Generation has the most thought out storyline, however I could not help but think a lot of the pokemon in this generation were really lacking. I may be one of the few people who does not totally like the starters in this gen, instead liking Gen 1 and Gen 3 best. D/P Gen however had a lot of really good things to it like a very intriguing and mysterious storyline with a lot of interactivity amongst other characters.

As far as Pokemon go, 1st gen has it all beaten. Its the popularity of the original 3 starters, the original Eevee's, Pikachu and so many other Pokemon come from this generation and almost everbody knows them.

2nd was okay. My issue here was the only starter I really liked was Totodile (Typhlosion looks just way too bland.) and the only other pokemon I really liked were few and far between. The legendaries were awesome, however, and this series certainly had a lot of interactivity plus the addition of Kanto which kept a lot of people coming

3rd Gen. The underrated generation of the bunch and IMHO the second best when it comes to pokemon. I liked all 3 starters and all 3 had awesome final forms, and the pokemon in this game were definitely unique and a lot of them were rememberable as well (Flygon, Metagross, Salamence, Manectric, Claydol, Dusclops, Lunatone/Solrock, Milotic..), while I wasn't a huge fan of the Regi's, I thought the Lati's were really cool, and Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza brought their own sense of awesome to the table.

However, as far as story line went, R/S was quite bland. Aqua and Magma are no Team Rocket (Or Galactic at that matter), and other than them causing trouble, there was really not much there.

4th generation was excellent in story, but I feel more thought could have gone into the Pokemon of this generation. I look up at my poster of sinnoh exclusives and I see so many pokemon that just flooded over from other generations, and the ones that did come from D/Pwere so lacking. I really didn't like any of the starters of this gen (Empoleon's cool, but I'm not big on penguins like some people, Torterra is just bad as a grass type, and Infernape is just a copy cat of the Fire Chicken, which infuriated me as Blaziken is up there on my favorites), while I didn't hate this gen, some pokemon there are still really cool (Luxray, Weavile, Lucario), I just can't dig most of the pokemon from this gen. And then you have Bidoof. Seriously. what the crap.

I think 2nd hgen for the same reasons as in the first post. but the 3rd gen introduced natures, EVs, and IVs, so no two leval 100 kyogre would usually be the same stat wise

2nd was best JokerBoi best touched on its awesomeness it just was the best game in general, but the 1st had the best pokemon and the 4th had the best storyline. I think the 3rd was mainly just a steping stone to the 4th. For me it goes like this 2nd 1st 4th 3rd

Back