Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

finally got some cards! also question.

travis3290

Ok so since i decided to start playing again i said that i would start with HG/SS and just go from there. All i have had since i started was two platinum decks and 4 arceus packs i believe. well that changed today cause i got my first booster. The whole thing was awesome(and they are a lot smaller then a assumed, even after seeing videos) i pulled most of the important stuff, though i did miss out on top lugia and an alph. oddly enough though i pulled two shiny gyarados, one regular, and one reverse. So since i pretty much finished the set, i started making a deck. I only have essentially fire, grass, phsycic and fighting energy, but i need more. How do you guys get more energy? even through the whole box i only got maybe ten basic energy cards. All help is appreciated. Also i guess i should just grab tins from now on and try to find the cards, or do some trading or something? what do you think?

thanks for the help!

I've recently started playing again as well. The best advice I could give you is to scope out your local league and start there. The people at the one I play with are some of the nicest people I know. They've helped me out immensely after my 8 year hiatus. For energy I just bought a couple different starter decks then started off by modifying those with cards I pulled. Unfortunately, if you want to play even a bit competitively HGSS will not help you there. There are just too many powerful cards in previous sets that can't be ignored and are a staple in most decks. But again, before you go crazy buying packs check out your local league and see what people are playing and how they're playing. This will give you ideas for decks of your own and will help you focus on particular sets.

If I was to completely restart everything, this is how I would do it:

a) Make a budget appropriate for yourself. I didn't have a budget and spent $700, and still didn't have everything I needed.

b) Talk to the "good" players, and league leaders. Ask what cards are good to have.

c) Create a good "beginner deck." I started with Scizor Cherrim. Fun to play, cheap, and decently competitive.

d) As you get more into it, buy and trade more and more. Eventually you'll be tier 1 material :)

first of all, to both of you guys i wanna say thanks for the input.

Second, i recently took what i had available to me to make a deck, its only me and a few friends who have started again so we are all pretty bad lol. Im running a ninetales deck, running two HGSS 'tales, one from arceus? i believe?(colorshift) essentially i just burn through my deck to get out a ninetales, a typhlosion, and abuse weakness's with colorshift 'tales. Its pretty lame but i have a lot of fun with it. I also tried really hard to get ho-oh legend to play well but i just couldnt :/

anyways, im getting some money soon(50-ish) thinking of buying two started decks to get me going on more trainers and energies(if anyone has suggestions on good starter decks do tell) and a couple rising rivals because im going to remake my fire deck, and tech in luxray gl to counter water types.

Im still new, so i dont know much about the metagame(more specifically how to counter it) so for now im just running rogue stuff and having fun! hopefully i can attend my first league next weekend, will be awesome!

again guys, thanks for everything.

What i would recomend to do for your energy situation is either buy a bunch of starter decks, or go on ebay and find an auction that gives 20 of each energy. Also i recomend maybe saving up around $200, and buying a Platinum Booster box and a Rising Rivals booster box. They currently have the most wanted cards of the current metagame. There is also a starter deck that has Roseanne's Research in it, which is once of the most wanted supporters as of right now.

Roseanne's Research is the current league promo so check with your league before buying any starter decks. If they don't have any left, then any starter decks with Roseanne's Research or Bebe's Search are good buys.

What i would recomend to do for your energy situation is either buy a bunch of starter decks, or go on ebay and find an auction that gives 20 of each energy. Also i recomend maybe saving up around $200, and buying a Platinum Booster box and a Rising Rivals booster box. They currently have the most wanted cards of the current metagame. There is also a starter deck that has Roseanne's Research in it, which is once of the most wanted supporters as of right now.

Dont buy Boxes, buy Singles ! You should easily get a complete deck with 200$, depending on what you want to play.

Back