Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

First Major Tournament

SMP88

Nationals will be my first major tournament in any card game. Is there anything I should know before going? I'm especially looking for procedural things that I could miss and be docked prizes/games/etc. Thanks

Welcome to the Pokemon TCG :)

Your first step into playing in a tournament is to check and make sure your deck is legal for the tournament. Currently that means HGSS-on so any cards from the Heart Gold Soul Silver block are legal.

HGSS
HS Unleashed
HS Undaunted
HS Triumphant
Call of Legends
Black/White

And of course promotional cards are allowed too.

You'll want to make sure you preregister on Thursday or register early Friday morning. Don't be late as it will result in a first round loss!

In regards to prize penalties/game losses... don't break the rules? Don't forget to set out your prizes, or forget to take a prize after knock out. Be courteous and don't slow play. If you have any specific questions let me know!

Everything else... make sure you have sleeves, randomizer, damage counters, burn/poison markers. And most importantly have fun! I met so many cool people last year and I don't doubt it will happen again. Good luck!

Make sure you're not late to any matches. If time is called when you're late to a match, you automatically lose. I almost won a game this way last year. Another 43 seconds and I would of, but I took all 6 prizes first.

Watch your opponent carefully. If you suspect something just happened unfairly, tell them to stop whatever they are doing while you hail a judge. Don't be afraid to call somebody out on something.

Socially, play nicely and be friendly. But tactically, play hard-ball. If your opponent asks to take something back, your general answer should be "No, sorry."

Generally you'll have one person on offense during a game, and one person on defense. One person has the sword, the other the shield. Now, which most often wins in a fight? Always stay on offense.

Last edited:
Review the Rules and Resources page on the TPCi website, as well as the Compendium linked at the top of this page. CAn't get the info much better than straight from the horse's mouth, can ya?

Make sure you're not late to any matches. If time is called when you're late to a match, you automatically lose. I almost won a game this way last year. Another 43 seconds and I would of, but I took all 6 prizes first.

I have lost this way before, and it's the worst kind of loss, especially if you're up on prizes. Always be on time.

Socially, play nicely and be friendly. But tactically, play hard-ball. If your opponent asks to take something back, your general answer should be "No, sorry."

This one's especially hard when you're playing someone you know, but don't let them. If you do, it will often lose you the match.

One thing I make a point of is trying to be courteous. Always be humble and gracious, whether you win or lose. If you just lost, it'll show you're a good sport, and if you just won, it will show that you're not a jerk.

Back