Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

First Professor Cup 5-2

PKM4

Compendium Publishing Assistant
So this is my first Nats ever and I wasn’t disappointed. I end up getting put on staff last minute thanks to Bulbasnore and Chrisbo. You two are awesome! Anyways I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to play in the Professor Cup because they might need judges. Since top 16 was going on and not too many judges were needed I got to play in the 2011 Professor Cup. Btw the dice are so cool and I can’t wait until they’re up on the Professor Store.

So before Nats I was only testing one deck and one deck only and that was Reshiram. It has strong matchups against pretty much everything and it can hold its own against water. I tested vigoursly with just Emboar and just Typhlosion. Clearly Emboar was awesome early game and typhlosion was sweet late game. I couldn’t decide which one I wanted to go with so I compromised and threw in both lines. The list was pretty consistent for having two stage 2s. On to the tournament report.

Round 1 vs. Colorless 0-1

Stantler is awesome btw. So I went first and had a killer start with collector and comm. Next turn my opponent was going to be hurting. He judged me and I drew dead it seems like forever. Cinnicino was beating me down. I sort of made a comeback towards the end but I couldn’t do much when he OHKOs 2 resh by drawing into 2 Plus Power and 1 Junk Arm and then next turn drawing into 1 Plus Power and 2 Junk Arm. Too good!

Round 2 vs. Grass 1-1

I have an insane start while he tries to keep up with Yanmega. He gets a couple of other things out but I’m able to get Emboar out T2 and resh swarm for game. Real nice guy.

Round 3 vs. Grass 1-2

I have a lone resh and never draw into anything the entire game. I did take 3 prizes but nothing useful sadly. Chill guy.

Round 4 vs. Lightning 2-2

He’s playing Magnezone and I swear he got tails for every Pokemon Reversal he played. I was like wow! Anyways I get setup and resh swarm for game. I’m sure if he got just 1 heads on reversal it would have been a much closer game.

Round 5 vs. Fire 3-2

Half mirror with him playing Resh/typhlo. He speeds through his deck like crazy while I’m slow and steady. I think he takes 2 prizes and when I take my last one he has like 5 cards left in his deck.

Round 6 vs. Psychic 4-2

Thankfully I know how to play against mewgar and it’s a fairly easy matchup. I get setup insane while I OHKO everything.

Round 7 vs. LostGar.

Okay I have to say this match was pretty easy considering my opponent had 3 or 4 Twins in his hand after I KOed his first Pokemon. Didn’t really have any trouble.

So I went 5-2 and I knew I wasn’t making top cut. I needed one more round to have a chance. So I finish 27th in my first Professor Cup going 5-2. That’s not bad. I had a fantastic time, met lots of cool people, and got a professor die and packs. Looking forward to next year.

Back