Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Flare's NorCal Report

Flare Starfire

Hey there everyone. Report time again, feelin kinda sick from lack of sleep/food over the weekend. x_x Anyhow, my list was identical to the one posted in my previous report. Bullseye seems to work very well for me and I decided to just go with it. As it turned out, many people that came to NorCal ran the same list they did 2 weeks ago at SoCal.

So, without much further ado, the rounds...

Round 1- Kevin T. (Ludicargo)
I started with a dunsparce. He only got a lotad. We didn't get to play at all, because his hand was filled with evolutions. No basic, no support, no energy, no nothing. I had a raichu turn 3 for the knockout. I offered to play him a real game after such a cheese win, but he declined.

1-0

Round 2- Jacob M. (Zaptrode)
A total rematch of T16. I thought I'd have a chance to finally redeem myself, especially when I started with a torchic and a dunsparce. But...no energy. Stevens...no energy. Gah! It was unbelievable. He jinxed my deck yet again! I was too far behind by the time my deck showed up again, just like last time. I played him again afterwards to try and break this stupid zaptrode jinx my deck seems to have developed.

1-1

Round 3- Cooldude-32 (Zaptrode)
Another Zaptrode deck! Jeez....good thing I broke the curse before the next round. I had a normal start, if a bit slow, and everything functioned just as it was supposed to. But I have to give props for one thing- He pulled off an energybomb onto a Rayquaza Star to knock out my Raichu EX. Props for actually getting the move off dude. =D Majorly sweet =) I ended up winning on time but I only had 1 prize left as it was.

2-1

Round 4- Martin M. (Ludicargo)
I knew this was going to be a tough game. Martin and I had been talking on and off all day. I got the dunsparce and he got a lotad. I was ahead early but I stalled out. Looking back, I should've let him make the first attack before we started trading prizes. It was definatly a well played game, and I lost. Live and learn. =) Thanks for the games Martin. =)

2-2

Round 5- Ryah R. (Camerupt EX/Manectric EX)
Now I had to win the last 2 if I wanted a shot at making it in. Unfortunatly, I had to play Ryah, one of my friends from SoCal and I wasn't looking forward to it. She told me she was playing a deck that I hadn't seen last night when we were playtesting in the hotel. I was very worried, because I've tested against Camerupt and sometimes if I don't get out right away, I just get wiped. She didn't end up having much draw at all most of the game, and I was able to get set up and eventually KO through to the bench. Luck seemed to be taking a heavy toll on everyone today.

3-2

Round 6- Matt Y. (Zaptrode)
For goodness sake...another Zaptrode. Half my rounds ended up being against Zaptrode. I knew I had the advantadge. But lately my deck seems to hate going against its optimum matchup. I started with a dunsparce (Notably, I actually got the sparce start all 6 rounds. I'd end up paying for that later.) and my opponent decided to start with a Claw Fossil. I have no idea why but I wasn't going to complain. My deck took off like a total rocket. Finally, working as I intended it to! Raichu turn 3, started damaging everything on the bench., never actually KOing the claw fossil. He did get tails/tails on a Dual Ball, and that hurt him, too. He got another one wiith 3 prizes left for me to take. Blew up an electrode EX to attach all the energies to Claw Fossil (1 Prize left) then swooped in a Rayquaza EX to finally KO my Raichu EX. However, I was waiting for it, with 2 Fire on BEX. I brought him up, attached a Boost, a Crystal SHard, and did 200. Hopefully I put the final nail in the coffin of this forsaken jinx on my deck. Better yet, I get another shot at Finals.

4-2

Overall Swiss: 7th

Top 16- Sharif (Ludicargo)

Unfortunatly, my luck still completely runs on me in T16. I knew Sharif had a tough deck, similar if not identical to the one I lost to against Martin. But oh well...

Game 1: I get going really fast, suprisingly. I actually manage to stay ahead of him on all counts, and I'm able to swarm and overwhelm to win out on prizes. I kinda suprised myself. Maybe my problem is that I don't go in thinking I can win.

Game 2: This time he gets a fast start, and I get a normal one. I'm able to hold out for a while but I can't seem to keep him off the board long enough to turn things around. I ended up losing with 4:30 on the clock, which essentially forced Game 3 to become the same as Sudden Death.

Sudden Death: Slugma vs Slugma for starts. Crappy. My warp point is prized to boot, along with a Raichu EX. He has swoop and gets a dunsparce instead. I stevens for 6 off of it, and still get no basics. Collect gets me a celios. Time gets called, next prize wins. He runs his hand down to 1 card, but he ends up with a cargo and a ludi out. I ended up using Celios to get a dunsparce, S/R for pika and torchic. Rare to Blaze, attach lightning, strength, firestarter to pika....I'm holding a rockets admin. If I can draw the Rai in 6 cards, I win. Well, no such luck. I have to try and paralyze him. If I do I would win next turn (accoridng to him, anyways) or tails, I lose.

Well, you know those flips always come out tails.

*sigh*

Washed out in T16 again. Again, again, again. Everything for nothing one more time. I just don't know what I'm doin wrong. *chuckles* My friends all agree that I'm on the verge of breaking through, but man, this is burning me out. I disbanded my deck after the tournament. Perhaps when I go to put it back together, I'll think of something to help it move just a bit faster. One person suggested the blaze line was too big. I'm gonna see what I can do. But for now...theres no more events to try on. *sighs* I'm probably going to have to grinder in at Worlds, and I'm not happy with that in the slightest.

All three events I've had in Cali so far, I've made T16, and at States I made T8...but I keep washing out. Who knows what I'm doin wrong...*chuckles* The world may never know. Maybe I'll take up judging instead, I kinda miss that these days. Talked with Bulbasnore a lot over the course of the tournament, he's a great guy! Still need to get back in touch with him. Thanks for the sandwich again!

Anyhow, props and such:

Props:
To Bulbasnore and Lex for a solid run tournament, despite the massive judge meeting and low turnout. Well handled.
To Cooldude-32 for pulling off "The Ultimate Combo". Awesome game. ;)
To my deck for finally waking up against Zaptrode. =D
To TRUK for getting an invite
To Scizor, Martin, Marshtomp, TRUK, and everyone else for helping me out with advice and encouragment throughout the day. It means a lot. Thanks guys.
To Team HEAT for making it possible for me to attend in the first place.

Slops:
To No food court! Aiyee, no cheap food! x_x
To no sleep for 2 days
To very little food for 2 days
To luck. I love you and I hate you, Luck!
To my poor sportsmanship at the end of round 6. I acted out of spite, and I apologize.
To low attendance. What happened? o_O Where'd everyone go?

Final Notes: I'm not gonna stop playing Bullseye. But I am going to have to stop, take many steps back, and look at what I want to play. Sceptile and Power Lock ended up being super decks at this tournamnet and everyone was trading for slowbros and sceptile EXs. Dunno if I want to try one of those. I'm really attached to Bullseye because it was the first deck I came up with entirely on my own, for once. I just need to make it better, or try something else for awhile.

Thanks everyone for reading, and congrats to the winners =)

High-quality report from a high-quality playuh. You'll break, no worries! :thumb:

Thanks! Although I think I should probably get a job first (again..) before I try and tackle any more events...the travel time to SoCal is like 8 hours so I end up having to stay somewhere. Muchos expensive. Call me spoiled from living in all the tiny states back east. XD

Nationals is looking like a no go...but not much to be done about that except prepare for worlds instead. *laughs* :rolleyes:

See ya 'round!

Mike,you did a great job in nor cal and congrats on top 16. Hey your bullsyey deck is fast and luck can screw you as well as help you. Shame you wont be in nationals this year but ill see ya at worlds.

We all have the bad starts when it comes to games and i know that for a fact from states. I am sorry to hear you had to go through alot of non sleep and no food but in the end i hope you enjoyed the event.

See ya at wolrds my friend.

Mike - Great report man. You have my luck in the top cut. I go undefeated in swiss 6-0 and lose in the 1st round. Look for my report. Anyways there is alwyas the Grinder if you cant go to Nats. And nick missed Top 8 with Bullzeye in his age division so dont feel bad.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to see everyone at Worlds since its financially impossible for me to make nationals this year. I'm pretty wiped out money wise again, so the only other event I might make this year would be the Cupertino GC. We'll see what happens. *hopes for the best*

Good show. Sorry to see that you lost to Rif, but I ended up having an easy win against him in top 8, I'm sure I would have struggled if I played against you. Keep it up with the Raichu deck, you've found a rogue deck that works, play something that you can claim ownership for.

Back