Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Florida Masters Report; one match can change a favorable outcome into a disaster

jeffrey123

Florida State Championships Report:

Months before anyone was even talking about decks that we would see around states, I already knew that Luxchomp/Gyarados were going to be played like mad. Then I went to a few CC's and played DialgaTank, with a really good list, and it was bomb. Fast forward to the day before states. I am franticly trying to obtain a Luxray Gl Lv X and 3 gyarados, which I don't recieve, so I figure i'll just get them at states. I'm not so familiar with Gyarados, but my general knowledge of the game made up for it. I end up going to bed at 11 PM and waking up at 5 AM...ughh, so I pretty much didn't wake up feeling like P. Diddy.

Wake up, get dressed, take a shower, on the road. 3:30 hour drive, no big deal. Get to the event with 10 minutes left, don't get the cards I need, rip Gyarados and build DialgaTank in 5 minutes, jump in line and thank god I didn't recieve a game loss, but I was in time regardless. I basically autopilot Dialga so it was definately my second choice. I didn't play Unown G, because I forgot it :eek:

Round 1 vs Joe T-Regigigas/Machamp (VERY CONTROVERSIAL MATCH)

He opens up with 2 machop and a Gigas. I start decent can't exactly remember. I end up building up a Dialga while getting out the Toxitank combo to start dealing damage to him. By T3 he has a Gigas X up. I've never played vs Gigas before and I completely forgot about Sacrifice. He got to use it once before I dialga G X'd him and KO'd it. He returned fire with a Machamp and took me out. I brought up a Toxicroak PT and one shotted him with a few Crobat drops and a belt. By this time there was about 2-3 minutes left. He has 1 prize to my 2. He brings up Uxie, attachs a warp energy, retreats into another Machamp and uses "Take Out." This is where all the problems start. I explain that you cannot Take out Toxicroak. He calls a judge over and complains that you should still be able to do 40 damage. The judge AGREES WITH HIM! I was like...are you serious? I called another judge over who thank god clarified that you cannot, but when the judges walked 2 steps away after my opponent had effectively used the judges to win the match because he wasted 2 minutes talking to the judges, I lost the match. He literally had NOTHING left to KO me with on his bench, and his Machamp was ready to be KO'd for at least sudden death. I complained to the judges that I should be allowed at least a 2 minute time extension, to which THEY DECLINED! At this point I was literally so frustrated that I couldn't even speak. I got up and left, not even sure of what had just happened. :nonono:

0-1

Round 2 vs Weavile#1-Infernape 4/Blaziken FB/Garchomp C

So I already know who he is, I can just tell, it's Weavile #1! Wooo. Heopens bad to my horrible start, and we start draw passing for what, 4 turns? :lol: Anyways, my Garchomp C Lv X's (yes, 2 of them) are prized, along with my sole psychic energy, my azelf, and 2 cyrus. The match is essentially an autoloss due to not being able to return the KOs that Infernape can do. I finally draw the azelf and forget to put a prize back. Oh boy, prize penalty (as if things weren't bad enough) and a "warning" or caution whatever, for disruption of gameplay. Whatever, my mind was focused on the game beforehand.

0-2

*Lunch Break*
-Insert meditation/focusing techniques/mind clearing-

I was so angry at this point with the judges being extremely bitter/unsentimental and my own mistakes, that I had to get away and breath. I sat on the beach and just thought for a bit, ate a little, and went back in, ready to win 5 stright rounds and top cut hopefully. Rollin like a big shot...

Round 3 vs Mary P- Octillary/Floatzel

I went in ready to play! T2 Dialga G deafen lock to her call start for sableye and chatot. It soon turned into a T3-T6 beatdown, and I swept her 6-0. Wasn't exactly a game, more of a beatdown.

1-2

Round 4 vs ???-Luxray S2 (Gadget Bolter)

Oh boy, she's got a playmat, she must be legit! Didn't take this opponent lightly, especially since she was playing Luxray Stage 2, which resists metal :/. I had a great Dialga favored start, so I decided to go aggro dialga again. I got a T2 dialga deafen and started wrecking her steup. I sniped her sole Claydol, and from there I had game. I was an idiot and got too comfortable, not power spraying when she had 2 cards in her hand for claydol, and she got up a luxray and almost KO'd my Dialga! I attached an Expert belt and KOd her belted Lux for the game.

2-2

Round 5 vs Greg C-Jumpluff

Oh god, I have never beaten Greg, ever. He's really an excellent player, and I was shocked to see him at 2-2. I believe he went into states ranked #18? Anyways, we both get decent starts iirc. I end up getting 2 Dialga and a Bronzong, and go into a Deafen frenzy. I remember Omar telling me that Skuntank wins you the matchup, so I focused on getting it out asap. It definately helped alot, and I was able to KO Jumpluffs much easier. I made a semi-pro move imo when I knocked out my Own Bronzong to keep my Dialga stream running, and I know that it was definately the reason I had won the game. There was a point where he played an expert belt when I had deafened and was KO'd, and thus ANOTHER CAUTION! WOOOOO/sarcasm. They told me it was "my fault for my opponent playing it." When you're in an intense match, things slip from your head.

I asked "do you always get a caution for calling a judge?" Greg attempted 2 SSU's, in which he flipped tails both. If he would've hit heads, he probably would've had game. Anyways, the prize count came out to 4-3, when time was called. Greg warp points my Dialga and I only have a Crobat and a skuntank on my bench! :eek:. He belts a Jumpluff and KOs my Crobat.

I thought that we went into sudden death, but thank god we didn't, for I had a Dialga G Lv X with 1 damage counter and 2 SP metals, 1 metal, 2 call, and a warp energy on it lol. I hit his belted pluff for 80, and lost zoned the energy. I knew that he couldn't knock me out because I only had 2 benched pokemon (I managed my bench very well that game imo), so I was hoping he didn't have anything else up his sleeves, for I had game next turn. He goes "and now I......you win" I almost had a heart attack.

3-2

Round 4 vs Benji A-Luxchomp/Hochkrow S1

Benji's an animal at this game. He made T32 Worlds so I was definately in for one heck of a match. He was already down about his loss, and just wasn't focused, I could tell. I got a nice start to his bad one and I just did work. I had 3 prizes to his 6, and he brought out stage 1 honchkrow and started teeing off on everything. Too bad time was called he only had chance to KO two of my pokemon while i sniped his bench. I won the match, but felt bad about it because I knocked him outta top cut.

4-2

Round 5 vs Collin S-Luxchomp/mismagius?

He opened with a misdreavus to my semi ok start, too bad I mulliganed 3 times in a row. I make a T2 error that really sets me back a few turns, I played a step ahead and forgot to get an SP radar. He got out Luxray and Garchomp relatively fast, and DCE/e-gained to KO my benched azelf. I responded with an Ambipom G ko and we kept dishing damage. I was looking for my one psychic energy for my promocroak, I could not find it! It wasn't in my deck, I used azelf to look for it in prizes, it was gone! Then I saw my Ambipom get KOd, and guess where it was? Attached to him...:rolleyes:

I already used 3 cyrus so I already knew it was over. I made a fatal misplay that would keep me from top cut. It happens man, and yeah it does stink, but hey, I tried my best and what can I do, just the nature of the game. Truthfully I was falling asleep lol.

End result-
4-3...#55/112 masters. Not bad for a 1st year master eh? Hopefully i'll at least T/C at regionals!

Props:
Team R!
4 win streak I guess
getting Bianchi's Prooooo Gyarados list :thumb:
Hopefully Vergal winning Delaware?
DialgaTank, definately tier 1...

Slops:
Judging overall, I have to say I was very disappointed, no sympathy, very rude, only a few knowledgeable judges, not to flame anyone...
Justin not Top cutting even though he went 5-2
Bianchi and Omar losing in top 8, we'll get 'em at regionals!
Not t16ing like expected

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
No shade but the judges at states last year were the same way.

Smh @ greg playing jumpluff. Maybe if I develop the slightest affinity towards this game within the next month I will make a appearance at regs.

Last edited:
What can I say, I can't control it man :/

The pluff is decent, but you need expert belt and once you start mass retreating it's meh, especially with ssu tails.

Florida State Championships Report:There was a point where he played an expert belt when I had deafened and was KO'd, and thus ANOTHER CAUTION! WOOOOO/sarcasm. They told me it was "my fault for my opponent playing it." When you're in an intense match, things slip from your head.

I asked "do you always get a caution for calling a judge?"

A Caution was a LIGHT penalty here. Considering we made announcements about it, and the standard penalty is a Warning. If YOU deafen, it is your responsibility to maintain the game state. Allowing your opponent to make a mistake, only to call a judge later looks a lot like Gamesmanship. "things slip from your head" means YOU made a gameplay error. This is deserving of a Warning. The standard practice, as told to us by OP, is to give a warning to the opposing player if a gameplay error such as this is made. This is to prevent gamesmanship. So slam the judges all you want, but that was good judging.

Not even touching the other two issues you had. Sloppy play is not the fault of the judges. Do not blame the judging staff for your own shortcomings and mistakes. "Forgetting" to put a prize back on Time Walk, letting your opponent break the rules, these are both seriously sloppy errors. Blame for those errors lies solely on one party, and that is YOU not the Judges who carried out the rules exactly as they are written.

Last edited:
They were extremely rude, probably the biggest problem I had with them. I know that I had made my own errors, but for them to TALK ABOUT ME right in front of me got me a little heated, saying "haha that kid just tried to call me over for etc etc" to another judge, they both laughed, bertstared me and walked away. They expect people to have good sportsmanship, but imo it all starts with the organized play base, including the judges, event organizers, etc. I am not trying to slam randy curry at all, so don't mistake my words for that. You constantly preach SOTG, where is it in some of the judges???

One judge, "greg" I guess his name was,( I believe he was from Georgia?), tried to made my toxicroak G pt take 40 damage from take out...are you kidding me? Aren't judges/professors supposed to have elite knowledge of the game, to promote a fair and correct gamestate? Just think if they would've done the right thing by giving me more time, but leaving that 40 damage on my Toxicroak, resulting in the opponent winning unfairly. I'm sure this happens all the time, and it should not happen AT ALL!!

Now I am not trying to yell at you either, because I know that you know the rules, although just put yourself in my position, judges basically poking fun of a 15 year old...?

Last edited:
I think you should re-evaluate your view on this. I'm sure they were not making fun of you. Your frame of reference was that you were upset going into the situation, and so the outlook has twisted to turn into making fun of you. Judges make mistakes as well. This is why you have the right to request a ruling be appealed to the Head Judge. In this case, you did, and the ruling was resolved correctly.

I think you should re-evaluate your view on this. I'm sure they were not making fun of you. Your frame of reference was that you were upset going into the situation, and so the outlook has twisted to turn into making fun of you. Judges make mistakes as well. This is why you have the right to request a ruling be appealed to the Head Judge. In this case, you did, and the ruling was resolved correctly.

Well they started "making fun of me" the 4th round. I called them over because my opponent had spiritomb active, I had dialga g lv x, and went to spray, he did the power too quick thinking that tomb's body was still on, we both know what happened, I called a judge, and the same one came over, rolled his eyes, etc. By then what was the point of even calling a judge? The outlook was "wow this kid, again?"

I definately will appeal to the head judge for regionals if something like round 1 happens again, do you agree that I should recieve extra time?

Excuses for poor deck building isn't something I would expect from someone from Team R, either. ; )

Should be more prepared next time. Could've possibly done better.

Excuses for poor deck building isn't something I would expect from someone from Team R, either, lol.

Should be more prepared next time. Could've possibly done better.

Did you even read the report? First game should've been 1-0, then the outcome could've changed extensively. My second match was an autoloss.

Did you even read the report? First game should've been 1-0, then the outcome could've changed extensively. My second match was an autoloss.

Yes, I read the report. I went 3-1 vs my "autoloss" without a counter to the deck yesterday (didn't run promocroak/mankey/etc). The one loss was a donk too, so it's nbd. Skill can overcome matchups, especially when DC has about 50-50 vs everything. Blaming your performance on the judges, then your forgetfulness to put in certain cards isn't something I'd expect to see from someone claiming to be on a highly regarded team.

If you'd re-read your report, it all came out as whining about your own misplays and blaming the judges for it. Usual players don't have to call judges multiple times in the same event over things that you could have avoided by paying attention to game state and general gameplay rules.

Yes, I read the report. I went 3-1 vs my "autoloss" without a counter to the deck yesterday (didn't run promocroak/mankey/etc). The one loss was a donk too, so it's nbd. Skill can overcome matchups, especially when DC has about 50-50 vs everything. Blaming your performance on the judges, then your forgetfulness to put in certain cards isn't something I'd expect to see from someone claiming to be on a highly regarded team.

If you'd re-read your report, it all came out as whining about your own misplays and blaming the judges for it. Usual players don't have to call judges multiple times in the same event over things that you could have avoided by paying attention to game state and general gameplay rules.

You actually wanna go there? Where are you playing kid? I'm playing in THE HARDEST STATE. I am playing THE BEST OF THE BEST. This is Florida buddy.

Round 1, that was my fault? Lol.

You actually wanna go there? Where are you playing kid? I'm playing in THE HARDEST STATE. I am playing THE BEST OF THE BEST. This is Florida buddy.

Round 1, that was my fault? Lol.

Hahaha, "kid". Keep making excuses, dude.

1) Judges
2) Deck
3) Forgetting Unown G
4) Letting your opponent break rules
5) Hard state

Instead of whining, learn from it. Round 1? Play faster.

Aren't judges/professors supposed to have elite knowledge of the game, to promote a fair and correct gamestate?

What all players need to keep in mind is that judges will make mistakes every now and then. The good thing here is that YOU did the right thing in calling for a second opinion. The bad thing here is that you're throwing the first judge under the bus. This guy took time to spend ALL DAY LONG on his feet working so YOU and other players could play. The guy makes a mistake and you act like it's the end of the world. Give the judge a break. If you have a problem with a ruling and a judge, simply put that in your back pocket and keep it there.

That judge NOW knows he made a mistake and I'm sure he feels bad about it and won't make the same mistake again. Coming on here and complaining does no good. TRUST me, you won't like it if it happens to you.

I know, I've judged and I've made mistake or two.

By the way, welcome to Masters and great job going 4-3. To come back and win 4 in a row shows strength. Keep your head up and get ready for Regionals.

What all players need to keep in mind is that judges will make mistakes every now and then. The good thing here is that YOU did the right thing in calling for a second opinion. The bad thing here is that you're throwing the first judge under the bus. This guy took time to spend ALL DAY LONG on his feet working so YOU and other players could play. The guy makes a mistake and you act like it's the end of the world. Give the judge a break. If you have a problem with a ruling and a judge, simply put that in your back pocket and keep it there.

That judge NOW knows he made a mistake and I'm sure he feels bad about it and won't make the same mistake again. Coming on here and complaining does no good. TRUST me, you won't like it if it happens to you.

I know, I've judged and I've made mistake or two.

By the way, welcome to Masters and great job going 4-3. To come back and win 4 in a row shows strength. Keep your head up and get ready for Regionals.

Thank you, and yeah, everybody does make mistakes, you're right. The main things is that I can't afford a mistake :frown: lol... but hey that was yesterday, this is today, and regionals will be a new day.

:confused: Didn't you say something about your parents not letting you go to states? But anyway good job on the 4-3. I think it's arguable that Florida isn't the hardest state though :thumb:

Yeah I ended up getting a ride with my mom's friend :D. Florida easily blows away any other state.

The Currys
The Craigs
Bianchi
Vergal
Izaguirre
Jason Klacs
The Silvestros
The roll family
and a BUNCH of others. Masters is only going to get harder next year with all these great seniors coming in.

Back