Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

For Whom the Bell Tolls: The Bronzong Engine

revdjweb

a year ago bronzong was supposed to be the new energy delcatty but a mediocre attack, costly retreat and at best draw 2 for 1 nature of its power kept it on the sideline. all this was before claydol hit the scene. fast forward to today, DP-SF format and if deckbuilders would give bronzong a second look they would realize it has some real merit in several bigtime decks: infernape, kingdra and magnezone.

of course bronzong didn't magically get better overnight, it was the addition of bronzong SF with energy cycler that allows for the Bronzong Engine. it is more specialized than claydol. claydol is for raw cycling through your deck until you find what you want, bronzong is more for setup decks, specifically for guaranteeing that you always have energy AND establishing energy in the discard pile in addition to an extra draw 2 every turn. the minor downside is that you need two bench spaces dedicated to bronzongs, but people set up two claydols all the time.

i won't belabor the point in any great detail why bronzong works in the above decks. both infernape and kingdra have attacks which upstream energy from the discard pile, magnezone has a pokepower for energy acceleration from the discard pile. you can work the details out for yourself from there.
bronzong especially works well with magnezone because magnezone is running the right kind of energy for bronzong mt to fight in a pinch, plus the fact that depending on what all magnezones you are running you can give it free retreat and it is searchable with the new metal zone's pokepower. another small detail is by running bronzors it is easy to tech in one bronzong md, which every experienced player knows what that surprise is about.

so there it is. if you are sick to death of claydols, find that you have hands of 6+ cards all the time but still want draw power might i suggest giving bronzong a try.

I've been thinking which engine works best for decks like Skittles (Ho-Oh and Togekiss) and Togechomp? the Bronzong Engine or the Claydol Engine?

I've been thinking Claydol Engine since Togekiss's Serene Grace relies on revealing a certain amount of Energies to attach to your Pokemon and say If you suck out all the Energies out of your deck with Bronzong's Cycler then Serene Grace won't do you any good.

Last edited:
certainly claydol for skittles. i would only recommend bronzong for decks that want to operate with energies in the discard pile: kingdra, infernape, magnezone, tyranitar, blissey, rhyperior.

i use it in my magnevire deck. it's pretty obvious for that. i draw a card using its power, discard a lightning energy to draw another, use vire's motordrive power to place it on elektivire, and then use Zone x's Electric trans power to move it to magnezone. it's pretty strong synergy, but requires 2 stage 1s and a stage 2 lvl x to work to perfection.

All you need for the power killer bronzong is one card moonlight stadium you only need bronzong to take out powers, you dont need the cycler bronzong for that card to work, while your getting set up with claydol. So bronzong is a tech mabe a 2-2 and a 2-2 claydol. They work great together.

Eh, i've tried Bronzong in my Tyranitar list and it works pretty well. The retreat is a rather big problem though, almost makes it not worth it.

I know This is totally off topic but the name of this forum makes me think of a lyric from burden of a day's song, Pt. 2 sometimes they do, "The bells they toll for me".

Back