Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Forgot Prizes

Bigbowlr1037

I was playing in round 8 of regionals on saturday. I go first and ultra ball for a squirtle. I then bianca to draw 3 and attach a water to keldeo and pass. My opponent Ns and i shuffle my hand into my deck and realize i forgot my prizes. We call over a judge and after 5 minutes of discussion he determines its just a prize penalty. Thats the ONLY prize my opponent takes as a turn 2 190 secret sword is ridiculous. Am i wrong in thinking i should have gotten a game loss? I have always been under the assumption that searching your deck results in an irreparable game state and prizes just cant be taken from the bottom of the deck.

This is not a hard and fast ruling, but a lot of judges use the following that was set at Nationals/Worlds a few years ago as the way to handle these situations, so that it would be consistent across the entire field of 1500 players:

No prizes placed and player has:

-not searched (just drawn cards): Warning
-searched/refreshed hand once: Prize Penalty
-searched/refreshed hand twice: Multi Prize Penalty
-searched/refreshed hand three or more times: Game Loss.

Again, these are not hard and fast "rulings" and if a local head judge uses other criteria, that is fine.
What is important is that it is handled consistently during the event.

In your case, you searched once. The Bianca doesn't count since the prizes will be placed from the bottom of the deck at this point.

Back