Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Friends Don't Let Friends LINE CUT in nationals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOW DECK

wiki said:
Cutting in line, also known as line/queue jumping, butting, barging, budging, skipping, ditching, breaking, shorting, or pushing in is the act of entering a line or queue at any position other than the end.

Most people understand line etiquette. This is for those that don't, and after seeing some very poor behavior at last year’s grinder line, this posting needs to be made. Last year after I got into the registration line, it seemed like the line was going BACKWARDS because of all of the line jumping going on. I had people that enter line 30 minutes after it started, then lie to my face about how they were there before. (Sorry, for 30 minutes, I have time to be pay attention on who is in line right in front of me.) I guess 17 year old europeans doesn't surprise me, but there were US poke parents who had done even deeper line cuts.

Registration Lines stink, but they stink more when people cut in lines. It is just rude, immature, and inconsiderate. If you see your friends in line, your friends doesn't have the right to let you cut in line. You would need to ask each and every person behind them if you can cut ahead of them. (Think about it). If you save yourself 15 minutes by cutting, you are taking that 15 minutes from the people that are properly waiting in line. Jumping line is something that self-centered, narcissistic, and immature.:nonono:

Typical Maneuver: Stopping by and “Just Talking” to a friend in line, doesn't give you the right to stay in the middle of the line. Back to the End. The people behind you know what you are trying to do, yes they do, and they are thinking bad thoughts about you, they are just wondering if they need to say something.

Pokemon has made the night before registration to make sure they can orderly handle the registration process. If past is any prediction of next week, registration will have long line before registration time and majority of people will be in line when the doors open. Then once the initial rush is handled, folks will be able to walk straight up to register. Go to the end of the line, meet NEW people, we all have meet many interesting people when we strike up conversation in registration lines.

If you really want to wait in line with your friends that are already in line, ask your friends to go to the back of the line with you, so you don't impose on the others who are behind them. The fact that they won’t do that for you would also mean that collectively the folks behind them don’t want people cutting in front of them.

I don't know how many others have been frustrated with some line cutting at these large events also.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I am not disputing anything you say. Line jumpers PO me too.

At least cutting the line at the end of the line, rather than at the table, at the cutoff time alleviates some of the problem. What does it matter where you are in line? You just need to be in line.

(Yes, I am aware of the "well, I could be doing something else if I got through the line faster" and all related arguments. Again, I am ~not~ disagreeing with you, nor am I condoning line jumping in any way. I'm just saying.)

Last night was $1 scoop night at my local Baskin Robbins. I got in line with my kids. Some lady was standing in line ahead of me. After about 10 minutes, when the line got close to the front, all of a sudden, this lady's husband and 4 kids joined her in the line. I about went ballistic!

Unless you're physically handicapped, wait in line like the rest of us.

It's like littering. Surely, one little piece of trash in the ocean isn't going to cause much pain. But, when lots of people do it, it's like an oil spill!

Mystery, If we have line that for registration and each registration let's say takes 1 minute.(for simplicity) Someone cut's ahead of 20 people. Thus the person who cut's saves themselves 20 minutes, the people that were cut in front of lost 1 minute individually, but in reality they collectively lost 20 minutes. If 20 people jumped ahead of the line then 20 minutes longer wait for the people that got in line at the end. But collectively there was over 7 hours of people time that was stole from one group from another group. One person's time isn't more imporantant than anothers.

Steve, your example on the family at the ice cream palor isn't the exactly same. I assume that the family got to the store and the with only one parent waiting in line, and they paid all together. Thus it was only one customer with mulitple orders. Just irratating to find out that person in front of you had several orders. IE the wait would have been the same if she had a list of orders. Have you ever been at subway when the person in front of you has a list of 4 different sub's. Nothing wrong with it, it is just you were hoping/expecting to have your sub on next on the queue.

Last edited:
If you acknowledge that there isn't a real purpose to getting into the line- as the line quickly evaporates after an initial rush, then why do you even get in the line? Why don't you just get in line last?

Sounds like you are saying/supposedly thinking one way, and acting in another way.

Getting upset or annoyed about line cutting is dumb. Go to the end of the line yourself if you don't want to wait, or get in line when you last possibly have to. That way you are actually saving YOURSELF time.

It seems like this thread would be better if it actually touched on a topic that was worth discussing. THEFT, violence, obscenities, before/after game etiquette, intoxication, etc. Cutting in line? Waste of time discussing. Either you have the stones to confront someone after they cut in front, or you don't and will cowardly try to get some third-party involved, or you'll ignore it. This post/thread doesn't seem like it will change any outcome ever?

lol, this thread has bad news written all over it. This another whining thread similar to SteveP's "chatter-locking isn't fun!" thread. If you dont do something about it at Worlds, dont come here 10 months later and complain.

And in regards to your european statement that PJ quoted -- what are you thinking?!

I guess 17 year old europeans doesn't surprise me, but there were US poke parents who had done even deeper line cuts.

And whats that supposed to mean?!

I guess 17 year old europeans doesn't surprise me, but there were US poke parents who had done even deeper line cuts.

I'm guessing a group of young Europeans cut in front of him and it didn't really suprise him since they were kids. But he was shocked to see actual parents/adults to it. He probably just refering to maturity level, I'm sure you guys are reading to much into the European thing.

It means that it's much easier to understand, given the low level of maturity, high investment, and high unlikelihood of actually realizing that there's a line (communication barrier).

Line cutting sucks, but lines are also a social exercise in maintaining order, so don't let people tick you off so much. The best thing for you to do is be assertive and request the line-cutter to not cut.

I don't know how some people just let people cut them. It is one of my pet peeves. If someone tries to cut you tell them off. They will most likely back down. Also, you could try standing closer to the people in front of you if you think they will cut you. If only everybody in the line would do this.

Europeans is a bit of a generalization for me. Based on my personal opinions and personal observations. Let me be politically incorrect if I need to be.

I visited Paris several times, and something I observed while doing tourist things was this same sort of line jumping on a regular basis. American's stand out like sore thumbs in Paris, thus I was fairly sure it wasn't Americans. I couldn't tell what country the groups were from. But I rememeber that it was something that did surprise me that occurred more often when I was there. Again, these were tourist sites, such as Eifle tower and the Louvre, so I thought they were european but not French. I honestly believe that some countries are less offended by line cutting then we are here in the states.

Age wise, I think that is obvious folks. Least like to cut are kids under age of 8, most likely to cut are teenagers. No news here.

Again, most people, regardless of age, or country of origin I don't think would cut.

BTW, for the folks that think this isn't a big deal. What would happen if they had to put a CAP on the attendance at an event. I don't you would be happy if the first 1000 folks to get to the registration table are in, even if 100 of them weren't exactly the first 1000 in line, and you were one of the first 1000 in line, but get shut out.

---------- Post added 06/17/2010 at 05:14 PM ----------

Cutting in line? Waste of time discussing. Either you have the stones to confront someone after they cut in front, or you don't and will cowardly try to get some third-party involved, or you'll ignore it. This post/thread doesn't seem like it will change any outcome ever?

Ryan if you are the last person in line, let's say #1,000 of 1,000. If a group of 5 people go and tries to cut in at #500. Am I going to have the opportunity to see them or say something? NO. But I just became number 1,005 in line just the same.

For the record. US Nationals lines haven't had this problem as much as we would see it in the Grinder. Grinder seats in the past seemed more limited at certain venues, and also the lines have been less controled by staff.

I have said my peace here for folks to be aware that people do care, and yes it is a pet peave of mine.

Last edited:
Yeah I cut in line last year . It was me. If you want to say I cut. I am in St. Louis with two kids. One 11 one 7 and me. Three different lines . No way. I suggested they have a family line so people don't get broken up. One day maybe they will. But in that big crowd no way am I going to let my kids stay in line by themselves when research statistics show that sex offenders can be found in public gatherings. Call me overprotective but I am not going to make that risk. So we met up with friends in the masters line. ask them to hold us a spot. Then went to the back of the Seniors line and waited till we got registered. By then our friends were already out of the masters line. Saw some others we knew in masters line and asked them to hold a spot. Then went to the back of the jrs' line and when we got to the front to register and I suggested the family line they took both of us for registration. Not sure if that is cutting or not but I am sure that many families would like to see a family line. Here Here.

hate to sound like a jerk here but, if they cut in front of you say something about it. if you let it happen its as much your fault as it is his/hers.

Steve, your example on the family at the ice cream palor isn't the exactly same. I assume that the family got to the store and the with only one parent waiting in line, and they paid all together. Thus it was only one customer with mulitple orders. Just irratating to find out that person in front of you had several orders. IE the wait would have been the same if she had a list of orders. Have you ever been at subway when the person in front of you has a list of 4 different sub's. Nothing wrong with it, it is just you were hoping/expecting to have your sub on next on the queue.
No, the family members were next door at the video store.

If TPCi allowed players to sign in their friends, including getting their promos and sleeves, would you be okay with that?

If there's a line, and it takes time to serve you, you wait in line. My 4 scout kids waited in line for ice cream. So did every other family at the shop. This particular family didn't understand serving line etiquette.

And yeah, I've seen some sub shops process an order for an entire office (poor service IMO), but I've also seen them turn away such orders during rush hour because the customer didn't call ahead.

If a family has people in all age groups that need to register it is real simple. Get in one line and register those in that age group and so on until all are registered. No way should you have someone save you a spot in another age line.

Simple said but hectic done. Also when in Los Angeles for Worlds they risk was not getting everyone in since they were saying a cut off was coming but we just made it. We don't go to these things to wait three hours in line. Simple would be to make a family line. It can be done more easily than putting cards in a binder.

I don't cut in line ever, but I think you're making way too big of a deal of this Rob. Who cares? Its the real world, and things like this happen. Sorry. The most mature thing to do would be to accept it and not do it yourself. Set an example. A thread on the Gym about line cutting is just too much.

to my knowledge, nobody has ever been turned away at us nats or grinder...am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back