Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

From Unown to National Champion... JOHN ROBERTS

meganium45

I would like to first and foremost issue my congratulations to John Roberts for his victory in the Masters at the US National Championship in 2012.

It was one of the most EPIC endings of any Nationals that I can remember, and it could not have happened to a nicer guy.

I mean, in game 2, he apologized to Nance for knocking out 2 Tynamo with Kyogre...who does that???

John Roberts is one of our local players in St. Louis that plays at Yeti Gaming (plug 1)

He has only been playing for about 8-10 months before Nationals, and this was his first US Nationals.

He has stood by his deck for the past few months, and frankly, the proof is in the pudding!!!

For those that would like to celebrate with us, please meet us at Yeti Gaming on July 11th at 7:00 pm for the Official John Robert National Champion reception!!!

Info will be up soon at yetigaming.com, but you can expect free food, and fun.

I will let someone else follow with the decklist...as I do not have the excacts...

Can't wait to see you all there!

Vince

When I met John back at Wisconsin Regionals, I knew he would do great things in Pokémon. You can tell he has a great understanding for the game, and he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Without a doubt, John Roberts is a deserving National Champion, and he will be a great ambassador for the game. What a great story! I would have been happy to see Kevin win as well; both are great players and even better people.

I had a chance to meet and play against John at a Battle Road this Spring. He was a super nice dude and a fantastic player, with a masterfully crafted deck list. I admit, I counted Klingklang out, but John proved me wrong. A very deserved win, I say!

John Roberts from St. Louis wins the Pokemon TCG US National Championships in Indianapolis the same weekend that Chief Justice John Roberts from Indiana helped uphold the heart of the Affordable Health Care Act in an historic Supreme Court decision. Coincidence? I think not.

It was awesome to see John win. As others have said, he is a really nice guy, and it was cool to see him win with the deck he created, stuck with and believed in, and perfected throughout the course of Battle Roads.

I am proud to say that a Klinklang deck won N our countries Nationals, and even prouder that it was a guy who seems to be extremely nice

I would love to see a tournement report from such a humble player such as John!

Congrats! You definitely deserve it!

John is epic. He definitely deserved it. Anyone that sees him at Yeti Gaming please ask him if he will think about making an account here.

I'm pretty sure John was never an Unown. If he was actually ever a Pokemon, it's no wonder he is good at the game. =P Isn't an Unknown anymore though, congrats to him and Klinklang.

Not sure if it says the video above actually says his exact decklist, but this is what he had from what I've heard:

Redshark 4.40 Deck List
Date: Sun Jul 8 13:27:16 2012

Name: John Roberts Klinklang
Comments: Nats Champion Deck!

TOTAL CARDS: 60

POKEMON: 16
Stage 2: 3
3 : Klinklang, BW-76
Stage 1: 2
2 : Klang, DE-76
Basic: 11
1 : Shaymin EX, NEX-94
1 : Cobalion, NV-100
2 : Groudon EX, DE-106
4 : Klink, DE-75
1 : Kyogre EX, DE-104
2 : Darkrai EX, DE-107

TRAINERS: 34
Trainers: 22
4 : Rare Candy, DE-100
3 : Pokemon Catcher, DE-111
4 : Heavy Ball, NEX-88
1 : Revive, BW-102
4 : Max Potion, EP-94
2 : Random Receiver, DE-99
4 : Junk Arm, TM-87
Pokemon Tools: 3
3 : Eviolite, NV-91
Supporters: 9
4 : Professor Oak's New Theory, CL-83
1 : Copycat, CL-77
4 : N, DE-96

ENERGY: 10
Special Energy: 10
4 : Rainbow Energy, GS-104
4 : Prism Energy, NEX-93
2 : Metal Energy (sp), CL-87

Not sure if it says the video above actually says his exact decklist, but this is what he had from what I've heard:

Redshark 4.40 Deck List
Date: Sun Jul 8 13:27:16 2012

Name: John Roberts Klinklang
Comments: Nats Champion Deck!

TOTAL CARDS: 60

POKEMON: 16
Stage 2: 3
3 : Klinklang, BW-76
Stage 1: 2
2 : Klang, DE-76
Basic: 11
1 : Shaymin EX, NEX-94
1 : Cobalion, NV-100
2 : Groudon EX, DE-106
4 : Klink, DE-75
1 : Kyogre EX, DE-104
2 : Darkrai EX, DE-107

TRAINERS: 34
Trainers: 22
4 : Rare Candy, DE-100
3 : Pokemon Catcher, DE-111
4 : Heavy Ball, NEX-88
1 : Revive, BW-102
4 : Max Potion, EP-94
2 : Random Receiver, DE-99
4 : Junk Arm, TM-87
Pokemon Tools: 3
3 : Eviolite, NV-91
Supporters: 9
4 : Professor Oak's New Theory, CL-83
1 : Copycat, CL-77
4 : N, DE-96

ENERGY: 10
Special Energy: 10
4 : Rainbow Energy, GS-104
4 : Prism Energy, NEX-93
2 : Metal Energy (sp), CL-87
This is certainly NOT correct. Good try, but I know for a fact that all his Metal energy was basic and that he ran 4 eviolite.

This is certainly NOT correct. Good try, but I know for a fact that all his Metal energy was basic and that he ran 4 eviolite.

That was the decklist I heard he used, although you're probably right. It would be nice to hear from the guy himself what the decklist was.

Definitely the better John Roberts this Nationals weekend! I don't know him, but I saw him signing playmats for little kids. Plus his interview responses on Pokemon.com were pure class.

What are you going to do to prepare for Worlds?

I don't think I'm going to do anything. I'm going to bring the same deck. I'm just going to go and have fun. I'm not going to stress about it too much, because I've already won Nationals. Worlds will be icing on the cake.

How will you celebrate?

I think I'm just going have some pizza!

Just seems like an all-around great guy, and I hope to meet him at Nats next year. A great representative for the game with an attitude that is sadly lacking among those who qualify for worlds.

We had "John Roberts II Day" at Yeti Gaming last Wednesday, and over 50 people showed up to give props to our National Champion. Kling-clang Cake, Giant Cookie (enough sugar for the kids, yeah) and an elite playmat...fun, friends, and just a feel-good time...

Major Kudos to Jay Hathaway of B&B Games in Eureka, Missouri for showing up with a GIANT COOKIE for John Roberts II and to express his and his son's congrats. Ths was great for St. Louis and certainly much bigger than any one game store...

Major Kudos to Rick N. who helped coordinate the custom playmat for John, which when presented to him brought tears to his eyes...WOW what a gesture!

And seeing John bring in his new 5-day old son for a brief Cameo, and then to have his wife and daughter there to share the excitement...what a great day for John, and for Pokemon in St. Louis!!!

Can't wait to see you all at Worlds!!!

Vince

Back