Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fuel the Fire, Blaziken/Exeggutor Deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, should the format be Expedition Onward (And we all hope it will ;)), then we'll probably be seeing a lot of Blaziken, in form or another. SO, here's my version of it. [EDIT - Also made it a bit more clear which Exeggutor I'm using.]

Fuel the Fire: v1.3

Pokemon: 23
4x Torchic (#73, Peck/Fireworks)
4x Combusken (#27, Flare/Double Kick)
3x Blaziken (Firestarter)
1x Blaziken (Clutch/Flamethrower)
3x Exeggcute (Aquapolis, Psychic)
3x Exeggutor (Aquapolis, Grass)
2x Zigzagoon
2x Linoon
1x Treecko (#76)[/b]

Trainers: 19
3x Professor Elm
3x Juggler
3x Copycat
3x Professor Elm's Training Method
3x Switch
2x Hyper Potion
2x Pokemon Nurse

Energy: 18
18x Fire Energy

I've been testing this for about a month now, and it seems to be working fine. Linoone is a living, breathing, Computer Search; so it's not that difficult to get a blaziken or two up and running quickly, with an Exeggutor active. Even if I've a bit slow at getting Exeggutor out, Blaziken is most certainly capable of standing on its own. The single Treecko is anti-water.

More Pokemon than trainers... scary...

Last edited:
A single Treecko for anti-Water? There's got to be better anti-Water options thatn that! There are plenty of Water-Resistant Pokemon in AQ. Whatever Pokemon you end up using as anti-Water, consider dropping an Elm's Training Method, Fire Energy or Switch for a second. I don't know which AQ Exeggutor you're using (Grass or Psychic -- if you're undecided, I'd lean towards Psychic), but either way, I'd suggest the AQ Grass-type Exeggcute over the Psychic version, because of Growth Spurt. It's hard to pass up a free Energy attachment, especially for a Pokemon that works better and better the more Energy it gets! Of course, you do sacrifice 10 HP and get another Weakness to Fire, which could be a problem, in addition to losing the ability to deal damage with Exeggcute. Hmmm... maybe go 2/1?

Actually, I use the grass type. Why? Fits the theme well. I can usually get 2 Blaziken up and running quickly, all 3 if I'm lucky. This way, discarding energy doesn't worry me in the least, and there's a greater chance of doing more damage.

As for Exeggcute, I use the Psychic Type.

As for Pokemon with a resistance to water, most are evolved Pokemon.

The exceptions are Hoppip and Tangela. Now, the only reason I use Treecko is for the resistance. NEVER the attack (I hope and pray). The Self Damage of Hoppip isn't worth it when so few water types are weak to grass, and Tangela has a 2 energy retreat cost. I want to be able to bring a small tech card back with a single energy. Granted the 60 HP is nicer, I don't believe it'll make much of a difference. (Although I will most certainly try Tangela in the future).

Horrible? Not by a long shot, alpha. It seems to be very well constructed, especially considering the card pool it's pulled from.

Anti-Water Basic Pokémon (that is, Basic Pokémon with Resistance to Water, and this is the full list):

Both Chikorita (Expedition)
Hoppip (Expedition)
Hoppip (Aquapolis)
Tangela (Aquapolis)
Sunkern (Skyridge)
Shroomish (EX: Ruby & Sapphire)
Both Treecko (EX: Ruby & Sapphire)

Not many options, but it's more than just Hoppip and Tangela.

AH! Thank you Carrington!
But my statement about those two cards was in referance to Aquapolis only. ;)

Looking through those cards, Sunkern appears to be exactly the same as the Treecko I'm using (For all intents and purposes, that is), and the one card I might consider using instead of treecko would be the Chikorita with Sleep Powder...

Hm. I think I'll change it to Chikorita then.

This might sound somewhat crazy, but, why don't you put in 1-2 psychic Exeggutor? I say that because it's a more stable type of attacker, and you'll still have the ability to pull the Grass Exeggutor whenever you need it!!! Also, its much easier to get up and running, especially with 3 Blaze throwin your energy back onto them. I know that its not as powerful, but I think that stability is more important than raw power.

I think Shroomish is by far the best of the water resistant basics. The attack is pretty good for a colorless, the sleep can help you a lot in the early game (Blaziken is not the strongest early when the power is less useful).

I am a little concerned about Linoone because of the fighting weakness (the obvious Delcatty/Blaziken combnation has the same problem). Nintendo seems to encourage multi color decks by making a lot of attacks XCC and this means that many water decks (where it will be too dangerous to attack with Blaziken) will play fighting as the second color to protect themselves against electric.

Well, remember that Blaziken only rains the nice fire energy on benched Pokemon, so the Psychic Exeggutor wouldn't have quite the speed advantage that the grass one would.

...Although I'll consider that in playtesting.

And I'm not very worried about fighting Pokemon. With Mewtwo EX wondering around (It, being arguably the best EX we currently have), I somewhat doubt we'll see much fighting other than Tech. The only most likely choice FOR fighting tech, is Makuhita. If the opponent is feeling courageous, they may even tech some fighting with it and use the one that does 30.

But thank you for the suggestions, I'll consider them all. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back